We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Flowering now in the north of Germany  (Read 2325 times)

Renate Brinkers

Flowering now in the north of Germany
« on: July 16, 2010, 10:41:49 PM »
It is a really hot summer here and Lonicera hildebrandiana and some others are flowering as they would be paid for. Some pictures from today.
L.hildebrandiana flowers are really impressive. They open pure white and within some hours they are light yellow and some hours more really wonderful yellow. The frangrance is like a strong and heavy perfume.

Best wishes,
Renate

zephirine

• zeph's garden blog
Re: Flowering now in the north of Germany
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 04:38:53 AM »
Hello Renate,
Your unknown geranium is a form of G. x oxonianum f. thurstonianum, probably 'Sherwood' (another possibility would be 'David Mc Clintock', but 'Sherwood' is more likely IMHO).
Here are mine for comparison.
MfG
Zephirine
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 04:43:57 AM by zephirine »
Between Lyon and Grenoble/France -1500 ft above sea level - USDA zone 7B

Renate Brinkers

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 06:54:23 AM »
Hello Zephirine,

thanks a lot, now I can write a label. I got it in spring as a gift and like it very much.
Best wishes,
Renate

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 11:37:30 AM »

G. x oxonianum[/i] f. thurstonianum, probably 'Sherwood'
Here are mine for comparison.
MfG
Zephirine

Renate, here is my Sherwood, just pictured today after (between) some rain showers ::)
Have it already so many years and just because I have room enough, otherwise I would not have it anymore.
In some years they are full of red spider and in a year like this it looks acceptable.
More interesting for the flowers than a very good garden plant.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 06:55:54 PM »
Love the Lonicera hildebrandiana Renate.  Do you have that in a pot or is it planted outside?
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 12:47:18 PM »
What is not obvious from Renate's picture, is that the flowers of Lonicera hildebrandiana are huge compared with other species. I've planted it just a year ago but my mother had a plant along the verandah on the front of her house, 3 metres high and 15 or more metres along from end to end. The flowers are all of 15cms long and as Renate says, the fragrance is superb. It comes fom Burma but was much hardier than we'd expected. It lost most leaves in the winter but never looked like dying.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Renate Brinkers

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 10:41:36 PM »
Luit,
I see, I planted it at the right place where it can grow up to an impressive plant. It seems to grow fast. I planted it in spring and within some weeks it doubled it self.
Best wishes,
Renate

Renate Brinkers

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 10:44:29 PM »
Love the Lonicera hildebrandiana Renate.  Do you have that in a pot or is it planted outside?

Gail,
I grow it in a pot since some years and keep it in a cold house but as Lesley said, it seems to be a lot more cold resistant as you would think. This winter I had one night just 0,8° and it kept all leaves as every year - and it has never flowered so good as this year.
Best wishes,
Renate

Renate Brinkers

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 10:50:56 PM »
The first time that my Albucas flowering this year. I growed them from seed as an Albuca species and now, as it flowered the first time, I think it is Albuca nelsonii. The flowers have a diameter of about 5cm and the inner petals donīt open.
Best wishes,
Renate

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 11:22:44 PM »
Little wind turbines :D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 11:53:30 PM »
Renate,

How big is the plant?  How big are the bulbs and how tall the flower stem.  My nelsonii has bulbs around 6 inches wide, sitting at the soil surface.  I planted mine deeper one time and they migrated back to the surface, even with temps to -8oC out in the garden.  :o  They're evergreen too.  Assuming of course that mine are correctly labelled. ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 10:00:43 PM »
Renate, I saw Monday a huge plant of Albuca nelsonii.
Here you might be able to see it for comparison with your plant

http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=4969.msg160558#msg160558
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Renate Brinkers

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 08:37:00 AM »
Renate,

How big is the plant?  How big are the bulbs and how tall the flower stem.  My nelsonii has bulbs around 6 inches wide, sitting at the soil surface.  I planted mine deeper one time and they migrated back to the surface, even with temps to -8oC out in the garden.  :o  They're evergreen too.  Assuming of course that mine are correctly labelled. ::)

Paul,
the bulbs are 6cm, about 2,5 inch - yours are very huge! I have grown it from seed and now, in the fourth or fifth year, they flowered the first time. The longest leaves are 60cm, about 23 inch and the flower stalks are 70-80cm, 27-31 inch.
Till now the bulbs didnīt migrated to the surface but maybe they will do that with the growth of the bulb. I didnīt tried it outside but I had one night with 0,8° last winter in the greenhouse and nothing happened. A really robust plant.
Best wishes,
Renate

Renate Brinkers

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 08:38:34 AM »
Renate, I saw Monday a huge plant of Albuca nelsonii.
Here you might be able to see it for comparison with your plant

http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=4969.msg160558#msg160558
Luit,
thanks, that suits. Such a ful pot is really impressive.
Best wishes,
Renate

Renate Brinkers

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 08:40:53 AM »
Little wind turbines :D
Lesley,
good description, they really look like wind turbines :)
Best wishes,
Renate

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal