We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: August 2010 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 15476 times)

Tecophilaea King

• traveling off the beaten track
Re: August 2010 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2010, 01:10:19 PM »
Despite nearly 100 mm. of rain over the last 2 days, the weather is still mild up here in the North Island, with more Narcissi seedlings opening up.
This time three more Narcissus Snipe X N.cyclamineus on display
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 11:43:48 PM by Tecophilaea King »
Bill Dijk in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Climate zone 10

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2010, 01:26:42 AM »
Those last 3 are lovely Bill, such an exciting thing when one's own seedlings start. I'm looking at my first seedlings from 'Julia Jane and 'Atlas Gold.' this week. Both seem reasonably tru(ish).
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2010, 03:28:58 AM »
Bill,
those are seriously nice seedlings! But way earlier than our N.cyclamenius varieties over here - mine are only in bud!

Some flowers open on the weekend:
Romulea grown from seed as R. cruciata but more likely to be R. hirta or discifera
237709-0

A couple of seed raised Gagea fibrosa,
the first is quite rounded
237711-1

the second is more starry
237713-2

To complete the "little yellow jobs" trio, A Moraea which used to be Galaxia fugacissima, a common weed of areas around Bendigo!
237715-3

cheers
fermi

Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

kiwi

• Go the All Blacks!!!
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2010, 08:03:45 AM »
I was waiting for a better shot of my Adonis to post but the storm passing through at the moment has just stripped it of flowers. Maybe next year!
An exceptionally coloured Helleborus in a friends garden.
A nice double Snowdrop.
Doug Logan, Canterbury NZ.

kiwi

• Go the All Blacks!!!
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2010, 08:44:50 AM »
Went for a wander in the Christchurch Botanical gardens last week, the native gardens have just had a spruce up. The Tree ferns were looking amazing. Had to share.
Cheers.
Doug Logan, Canterbury NZ.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2010, 05:08:31 PM »
I LOVE tree ferns - if only....
Bill that no 3 narcissus is especially nice, a real character.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2010, 11:01:01 PM »
Doug that's on OK Adonis, storm or not. I have had serious drought for several years and this time thought I had totally lost my Adonis amurensis. Just at this last weekend I found a couple of small leaves through so it's still with me but most has gone and there are certainly no flowers. I'm having to start over with it. >:(
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2010, 09:29:10 AM »
More pics from the garden on the weekend,
Hybrid hoops and Lachenalia aloides
237988-0

Oxalis obtusa
237990-1

237992-2

Scilla greilhuberi
237994-3

Babiana odorata (yes, it's scented)
237996-4

A close-up of Iris "Harmony"
237998-5

And a muscari grown from seed which Oron has identified as Muscari azureum
238000-6

cheers
fermi

Victoria, Australia

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2010, 09:44:55 AM »
What a fabulous clump of hoops!
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

arillady

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 10:21:57 AM »
Fermi if your Babiana odorata clumps up I would love a bulb/corm sometime. I grew it years ago when I was first growing plants from seeds. It has a lovely scent.
The first of the arils is just unfurling its flower today. There are others budding up but so late this year.
This winter seems to have been so cold with chilly winds on sunny days. Only good in the garden if you can find a patch of sunshine out of the wind to weed.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2010, 12:44:27 AM »
I can't resist another couple of pics of Sternbergia candida, I'm so pleased with this lovely bulb. I have a good sniff each time I go near it. There's a lot of pollen so I've transferred some to the stigma. Hope it works, with a single clone.
238156-0

238158-1

Crocus angustifolius
238160-2

Iris reticulata 'Pauline.' I'm posting this with the one below, just to show the very real differences.
238162-3

and Iris histrioides 'George' with larger, solider flowers, orange on the blade and much shorter, stouter leaves (at flowering time). The leaves are typically those of histrioides rather than reticulata. Thought I'd totally lost this but found it yesterday in an unlabelled pot. Thank goodness!
238164-4

Narcissus seedling from 'Julia Jane.' This is the first of many to flower, as I have about a dozen pots of JJ and 'Atlas Gold' seedlings, all just approaching flowering. Since the parents have all been in much the same place, there will have been cross pollination, I'm sure. I'll probably sell them and just as Narcissus 'Gala seedlings' after my little nursery. I don't want to put the cultivar names on them. It only confuses with the correct plants. This one is wide open, absolutely round and flat and of very good substance. All these little N. romieuxii forms will be doubly precious now, with their close association with Jim Archibald.
238166-5

And now for something completely different, I bought 7 tiny cactus plants in my supermarket a while ago. This one suddenly made some nobs at the top and is now in flower.
238168-6

galahad

• Ross
    • Wild Hybrid
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2010, 07:14:12 AM »
That Narcissus seedling is stunning

I can't resist another couple of pics of Sternbergia candida, I'm so pleased with this lovely bulb. I have a good sniff each time I go near it. There's a lot of pollen so I've transferred some to the stigma. Hope it works, with a single clone.
(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Crocus angustifolius
(Attachment Link)

Iris reticulata 'Pauline.' I'm posting this with the one below, just to show the very real differences.
(Attachment Link)

and Iris histrioides 'George' with larger, solider flowers, orange on the blade and much shorter, stouter leaves (at flowering time). The leaves are typically those of histrioides rather than reticulata. Thought I'd totally lost this but found it yesterday in an unlabelled pot. Thank goodness!
(Attachment Link)

Narcissus seedling from 'Julia Jane.' This is the first of many to flower, as I have about a dozen pots of JJ and 'Atlas Gold' seedlings, all just approaching flowering. Since the parents have all been in much the same place, there will have been cross pollination, I'm sure. I'll probably sell them and just as Narcissus 'Gala seedlings' after my little nursery. I don't want to put the cultivar names on them. It only confuses with the correct plants. This one is wide open, absolutely round and flat and of very good substance. All these little N. romieuxii forms will be doubly precious now, with their close association with Jim Archibald.
(Attachment Link)

And now for something completely different, I bought 7 tiny cactus plants in my supermarket a while ago. This one suddenly made some nobs at the top and is now in flower.
(Attachment Link)
Christchurch, New Zealand

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2010, 08:18:08 AM »
What a fabulous clump of hoops!
If you liked those, Anne, have a look at these!
All Hoops raised at Glenbrook Bulb Farm, but a few self sown seedlings are showing up.
238174-0

238176-1

238178-2

238180-3

This one is "Orcleuse"
238182-4

cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2010, 10:36:40 AM »
They are beyond fab, fermi!
 Here in Aberdeen, of course, the weather at flowering time would never allow them to look so good so we are rather envious to see these flourishing so gracefully in your garden.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

arillady

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2010, 11:59:18 AM »
Fermi what absolutely great clumps of hoops.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal