We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: August 2010 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 15475 times)

Kees Green

Re: August 2010 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2010, 09:24:33 AM »
Beautiful seedlings Bill, keep posting the pics.
Here is an Atlas Gold pic for you.
Kees Green, miniature daffodil and insect enthusiast

League fan in a city crazed by AFL

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2010, 12:15:15 AM »
Bill I'm not sure about the blue juno, mine have behaved so erratically over the last two or three years that I've got some mixed I think. Hopefully, Peter, Otto or Pat will check in here and give an answer. It's beautiful, whatever.

The little yellow could be a bucharica hybrid. It's rather like one I had as seed some time ago and it flowered well for 3 years then gave up. The seedlings from it have had a chequered life too and I'm not sure if any are left. Anyway Tony Hall at Kew thought it could be an orchioides hybrid or rather a hybrid from within the orchioides group. Here it is. Mine was pale jade green and a real honey.

238414-0

238416-1

Could you take a picture of yours from the side please?

238418-2
This is Iris nusairiensis alba, late this year. It usually flowers in June

and Iris x Sindpers
238420-3

I was bending down to focus this whenTeddy rushed up to me and smashed the flower right off. I just got the click done in time. :(
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 12:17:53 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2010, 12:38:39 AM »
Two pics of one of my favourites, Iris histrioides x danfordiae 'Sheila Ann Germaney.' Similar to 'Katharine Hodgkin' Sheila is silvery blue without the yellow on the falls. No doubt someone will point out the slight blue streaking on some style arms and say she is virused. That may be so but she remains isolated from others and in good vigour so I'm not too bothered at present. It would be impossible to replace her as everything of this form in NZ came from a single bulb I imported in 1993. I should apologise for the weedy background. It's been so wet lately that it's impossible to weed thoroughly. But they're all annuals and when the weather dries a little I should be able to get to it.

238422-0

238424-1
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2010, 12:55:30 AM »
Re-reading your post about the blue Juno Bill, something rings a bell and it is that some years ago I had some seed from Jilek, by way of Kristl Walek. I'm pretty sure I had a juno called zenaidae from that source. Looking at yours, that is a possibility.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2010, 01:05:25 AM »

congrats leslie! i asked some friends again, and now that its in flower, the suggestion (from brasil and nebraska) is Parodia chrysacanthion..

Thanks Cohan, I'll do a label for it. And I'd better get the 7 repotted soon as they are growing. One has made half a dozen little babies round the side. I sniffed the flower as I always do with something new, but only pricked my nose.

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2010, 08:55:47 AM »
Lesley , 3 beautyful Junos in your collection . My (yours) I nussairiensis flowered about 3 weeks ago , but it lives in the open garden . Your handsome I. bucharica hyb , I think rather belongs in the orchioides group. - also I think Bill's blue one is not zenaidae as you suggested but perhaps a good coloured form of I. vicaria .
  just was reminded : must ring Maggi.

Otto.
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Tecophilaea King

• traveling off the beaten track
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2010, 01:03:16 PM »
Lesley , 3 beautyful Junos in your collection . My (yours) I nussairiensis flowered about 3 weeks ago , but it lives in the open garden . Your handsome I. bucharica hyb , I think rather belongs in the orchioides group. - also I think Bill's blue one is not zenaidae as you suggested but perhaps a good coloured form of I. vicaria .
just was reminded : must ring Maggi.
Otto.

I am inclined to agree with you Otto, I did get Iris vicaria seed from Jan Jilek years ago. Thanks.
Bill Dijk in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Climate zone 10

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2010, 01:27:46 PM »
This time a few of the more colourful spring flowering South African species: Lapeirousia oreogena and Lapeirousia silenoides
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 01:42:15 PM by Tecophilaea King »
Climate zone 10

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2010, 03:28:09 PM »
Crumbs! They woke me up!  :o 8)
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2010, 09:04:12 PM »

congrats leslie! i asked some friends again, and now that its in flower, the suggestion (from brasil and nebraska) is Parodia chrysacanthion..

Thanks Cohan, I'll do a label for it. And I'd better get the 7 repotted soon as they are growing. One has made half a dozen little babies round the side. I sniffed the flower as I always do with something new, but only pricked my nose.
welcome leslie--there was one possible vote for another P species--saint-pieana-it seemed to me to have softer spines, but perhaps you might google images of the two species and see which seems closer to your plant in person; of course, as with other types of plants, hybrids etc are possible; the genus, at least should be good  ;D

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2010, 11:47:10 AM »
This Oxalis obtusa is the last of the colourful South African species, with another early flowering Clivia interspecific seedling to cheer up the benches.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 11:51:05 AM by Tecophilaea King »
Climate zone 10

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2010, 11:50:34 AM »
Ipheion dialystemon syn.Nothoscordum dialystemon, and referred to by some as Nothoscordum felipponei is a yellow-flowered plant with 8 tepals instead of the normal six.
Ipheion sellowianum or Nothoscordum sellowianum. What to call this plant is very confusing. Whatever the name, it's a cheerful little plant that's easy to grow in a pot or garden.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 11:54:57 AM by Tecophilaea King »
Climate zone 10

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2010, 04:51:48 PM »
Bill according to the Kew Checklist it is nowTristagma sellowianum
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2010, 11:46:47 AM »
Bill according to the Kew Checklist it is nowTristagma sellowianum

Yes David, what to call this plant is very confusing.  The RHS plant finder still lists both species under Ipheion.
Who is right, and what to believe, I wish the 'bots' would make up their mind one way or another.
Climate zone 10

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2010, 12:22:00 PM »

Lachenalia rubida is one of the most attractive of all the species, and has ruby-red flowers and is easy to grow in pots or any container.
Climate zone 10

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal