We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Weather- August 2010  (Read 8129 times)

Olga Bondareva

Re: Weather- August 2010
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2010, 08:15:43 AM »
I'm blowing ;D

Thank you David!  ;D Some rain dropes fall down yesterday. Please blow more!  :D
Olga Bondareva, Moscow, Zone 3

iann

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2010, 04:23:04 PM »
A little hint as to how our weather is.  Six weeks ago this was a brown prairie.  Don't even mention the snails!
near Manchester,  NW England, UK

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2010, 11:26:35 AM »
We had a lovely day at Tentsmuir Forest (http://www.tentsmuir.org/) on the Fife coast yesterday. Sunny intervals, and the kids went into the sea for a swim. Heidi just ran and ran. We decided not to go along to see the seal colony, but a 1½ mile walk along the forest road to the ice house, where they used to store locally caught salmon was enjoyable. The ice house is now a hibernaculum for Natterer's bats. It was on this track, yesterday, that I saw my first Scottish comma butterfly, and my camera was in the car!
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Panu

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2010, 11:19:09 PM »
It´s autumn here now, I think. At the moment +6 C. Last Saturday we had officially 28 degrees, but our thermometer in shade said 31. Record from July +33 C. This summer has been lovely.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 07:46:59 PM »
chilly and smokey--smoke blowing in from distant british columbia forest fires-hundreds of miles away! pics from yesterday, more at:
http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=5641.new#new

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2010, 11:22:20 PM »
After two nighttime rain showers, with a trifling amount of rain, the drought here deepens. Endless days of sunshine continue, 90 F yesterday (32 C) and humid yesterday, but a cool front went through, much drier air today and only 83 F (28 C), but gusty dry winds continue siphoning away any ground moisture.  We have a total outdoor water ban in effect until October, but I must admit to spending some hours filling a watering can in a desperate attempt to save my more prized plants... I feel like some sort of criminal while trying to sprinkle a bit of moisture on some plants.

A few photos.  My giant clump of Epimedium grandiflorum 'Red Queen', which measured almost 4' wide (120 cm) x 30" (75 cm) tall, has all but collapsed... I have stopped trying to water it, just hoping that the rhizomes and roots survive.  Then a couple shots of the crispy lawn, normally thick and green. 
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 11:27:43 PM by TheOnionMan »
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2010, 06:57:25 AM »
After two nighttime rain showers, with a trifling amount of rain, the drought here deepens. Endless days of sunshine continue, 90 F yesterday (32 C) and humid yesterday, but a cool front went through, much drier air today and only 83 F (28 C), but gusty dry winds continue siphoning away any ground moisture.  We have a total outdoor water ban in effect until October, but I must admit to spending some hours filling a watering can in a desperate attempt to save my more prized plants... I feel like some sort of criminal while trying to sprinkle a bit of moisture on some plants.

A few photos.  My giant clump of Epimedium grandiflorum 'Red Queen', which measured almost 4' wide (120 cm) x 30" (75 cm) tall, has all but collapsed... I have stopped trying to water it, just hoping that the rhizomes and roots survive.  Then a couple shots of the crispy lawn, normally thick and green. 

hope you get some rain! i was feeling a little dry after a couple of weeks late july/early aug without much rain, but we haven't really been dry since  spring, which was crispy..

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2010, 10:33:38 AM »
McMark, does your watering ban extend to the use of 'grey water' that you might recycle?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

alpines

• Alan's the one with the beard
    • The Alpine Garden
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2010, 12:32:44 PM »
We live in an "automobile" society. It's OK to wash your car......but not the plants you've nurtured and spent thousands of dollars on.
Mark, I am amazed at how green it has remained in Kentucky. We have just recorded 28 days of 90 degree temperatures and our grass (no pictures, I'm sorry) is still as green as it was in Spring.....and we haven't artificially watered it. Strange !!!
Alan & Sherba Grainger
in beautiful Berea, Kentucky, USA. Zone 6
www.thealpinegarden.com
www.KentuckyFlora.com

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2010, 12:54:19 PM »
Mark is that a nest box on the pole?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2010, 06:57:33 PM »
It started raining here about 1430 on Thursday and since has hardly stopped. Not heavy stuff most of the time but a typical Devon mizzle with a mist. We've hardly been able to see across the road for the past two days.

As both of us were on the points of becoming stir crazy we went to Exeter today (about 30 miles up the road) to do some shopping to find blue sky, 24C and people walking about in shorts and tee shirts. I hate Ivybridge!!!!!!!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2010, 07:06:59 PM »
It started raining here about 1430 on Thursday and since has hardly stopped. Not heavy stuff most of the time but a typical Devon mizzle with a mist. We've hardly been able to see across the road for the past two days.

As both of us were on the points of becoming stir crazy we went to Exeter today (about 30 miles up the road) to do some shopping to find blue sky, 24C and people walking about in shorts and tee shirts. I hate Ivybridge!!!!!!!
You're sure you haven't left the shower running upstairs......... ::) ;)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2010, 07:08:54 PM »
Not likely, we're on a water meter, it's the Yorkshire blood yer know ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

TheOnionMan

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2010, 01:53:58 AM »
Mark is that a nest box on the pole?

Yes, it is a blue bird house.  People in these parts have lots of open land, and they encourage the spaced placement of blue bird house to create "corridors" of blue bird habitat, there are even local organizations devoted to encouraging blue bird habitation.  My boxes only had bird birds a couple of times, typically the aggressive sparrows move it, and I never had time to remove their nests daily, nor do I kill the sparrows as some people do :-X.  Some years I had wrens or tree sparrows, the latter flashing iridescent green blue feathers as they so gracefully circle, a joy to watch.  Fortunately, the blue bird population has greatly increased in the 22 years at my location, and I get to see them daily for much of the year.
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

TheOnionMan

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2010, 02:18:51 AM »
We live in an "automobile" society. It's OK to wash your car......but not the plants...

Alan, how true.  It's getting depressing... hard to enjoy all the fine sunny days when it just refuses to rain, and even the weeds are dying.

Maggi, the idea of grey water is a good one, but not practical in my current situation.  My next door neighbor suggested taking empty buckets into the shower, although that might yield a mere two buckets, and yield a clumsy, somewhat silly showering scenario.  And they're using the rinse water from washing dishes on their vegetables, although they have all but given up, the ground is too dry overall and much more water is needed.  Spent 4 hours yesterday making about 120 trips hauling a watering can, and it barely made a dent, I have a sore shoulder, and I have already chosen which parts of the garden I will let go completely dry as there's no way I can hand water 1 acre of cultivated area with a watering can, given the depth of the drought.
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal