We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Weather- August 2010  (Read 7844 times)

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
Re: Weather- August 2010
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2010, 04:11:48 PM »
..........and tomorrow is Sunday with outbreaks of Monday occurring around midnight! ::)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2010, 10:42:44 PM »
And tomorrow, Sunday, it's going to be sunny and HOT, and stay HOT all week, sun, sun, and more sun, when will it ever end?. At least it is low humidity and with cool night temps that make it comfortable for sleeping.  My daughter starts back at school (senior year) on Wednesday, with the predicted high to be near 100 F; of course schools have no air conditioning.
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2010, 02:42:47 AM »
the weather station in the nearest town (20miles) recorded -2C last night, though no evidence of frost here; today's high was 9 or 10C, the rest of the week 11 to 17, cloudy and at least some chance of rain most days... 20C is 'normal' and last year at this time we were nearer 30C!

J.B.Wyllie

• The Wily Wifie
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2010, 06:51:10 AM »
Frost on lid of my recycling box this AM but thermometer a few ft away was +1
Bright sunny day now
Jean Wyllie Dunblane Scotland

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2010, 08:53:30 AM »
Didn't reach double figures until I reached Falkirk (well, the chicken roundabout at Laurieston) at 8.45 a.m. this morning!

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2010, 08:55:00 AM »
My Alpines, grown from seed, are now juniors and basking in their sunlight spot this morning - grateful for a bit of warmth, as am I  :)

Only two days of sunshine with cloud in August  :o  Autumn is in the air, berries ripening and the first tinges of colour in turning leaves.
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

TheOnionMan

« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2010, 02:47:26 PM »
I think the day and a half of rain we had last week, the first measurable rainfall in over 2 months, was merely a tease.  We seem to be right back into the consistent pattern of hot, dry, sunny days... those bluebird days someone was speaking of.  I believe we're getting turkey days instead ( http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=5874.msg164581#msg164581 )

1  Not a cloud in the sky, ho hum, so typical,  I long for a good rainy day.
2  Carex and a fried Epimedium grandiflorum f. flavescens variety, some "eppies" tolerate drought, others don't.
3. fried Cimicifuga simplex (atropurpurea group), large swathes of these beauties burnt up.  Notice Saruma henryi doesn't mind drought!
4. Cimicifuga simplex flower spike; in areas with flatter ground, the 1-1/2 days of rain resurrected some plants and they started popping into flower, although most of the foliage looks dreadful.
5.  Updated weather forecast... doesn't that little blazing sun icon conjure up images of being left for dead in a desert? :P
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2010, 11:49:57 PM »
Mark,
a pity to see your 'babies' suffering from the drought :'(
Opposite, we had ~ 130 Liter/m² (130mm) rainfall last week here with a peak of 45L/m² within 1 hour last Friday and 71 L/m² within 24hrs accompanied by a sharp temperature drop from average 25°C day temperatures to low 12°C today...brrr. :'( >:(
Could you lend us some sunshine from your wheather forecast? ;)
Best wishes
Armin

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2010, 11:54:56 PM »
We had clear blue skies here today, but only 19oC.

TheOnionMan

« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2010, 04:05:56 AM »
Mark,
a pity to see your 'babies' suffering from the drought :'(
Opposite, we had ~ 130 Liter/m² (130mm) rainfall last week here with a peak of 45L/m² within 1 hour last Friday and 71 L/m² within 24hrs accompanied by a sharp temperature drop from average 25°C day temperatures to low 12°C today...brrr. :'( >:(
Could you lend us some sunshine from your wheather forecast? ;)

Well, sometimes it is feast or famine; our hot dry streak is supposed to end on Friday by the arrival of Hurricane Earl ::)  It's too early to tell if New England and the Boston, Massachusetts area will be side-swiped by the storm or if it'll be more of a direct hit.  The sheer absurdity, after the months-long weather extreme of heat and drought slamming up against another weather extreme; a hurricane!  With the advanced notice, I think I'll be covering some new sloped garden areas with tarps and large boulder anchors to prevent wash-outs. *%^$#@!

A link to the New York Wall Street Journal article showing the projected path of Hurricane Earl just refuses to work, so I upload a PDF file with the article, and an image file of the projected path.
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2010, 09:49:55 AM »
mark if that curves East, and they often do, I'll hit a wet and windy spell Monday evening/Tuesday morning.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

angie

« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2010, 09:57:00 AM »
We had clear blue skies here today, but only 19oC.
[/quote

Anthony stop moaning ;)Blue skies and DRY I would love 25c everyday but I am happy that's it's dry.

Mark it must be so much more work for you, it's a pity we couldn't  share our weather a bit like we share our plants. I hope you don't lose to much plants. I have heard from some people that there has been a frost already in Scotland :o I can't remember ever having a frost in August but maybe someone out there can.

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #72 on: August 31, 2010, 04:02:28 PM »
Mark - At least you are on the west side of the track of Hurricane Earl!

Surfers are swarming our beaches as waves are to 3m high, that's caused by the passing of H. Danielle to our south a few days ago.  Water temp is circa 22c.  It's smoking hot here, 30c yesterday and today, I was inland yesterday and it was 33c. Last night's low here was 24c, very unusual for the coast and felt quite tropical - scent of flowers was overwhelming.  Seems like the perfect scenario for Hurricane hit.  Desperately needing the rain.

Let's hope this nasty one veers further east as they are hinting today.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2010, 07:46:11 PM »
frost on the car and roof of old house this morning, but the zucchini (and everything else) showing no effects..
today's forecast high 15C with 30% chance of showers/thunderstorms later on; right now sunny and lovely, but already thunderclouds visible this side of the rockies.... tomorrow 11 and cloudy; 21 by weeks end!

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2010, 11:40:35 PM »
We've had frost in Dunblane the last few mornings. Too cold too soon!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal