We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Northern Hemisphere August 2010  (Read 24770 times)

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
Re: Northern Hemisphere August 2010
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2010, 10:07:01 PM »
OK Mark its a grey miserable night here in Aberdeen and you have now made me more miserable  :'(
My Hibiscus isn't doing anything and to see your last picture Hibiscus syriacus 'Blue Bird'  just makes me so envious, but thanks for showing these lovely flowers I can at least dream that one day mine might flower like yours ::) ::) ::)

Angie :)

Well Angie, as they say, the grass is greener on the other side, in fact, we have no green grass here right now, although the horrid field grass is still holding up to the drought.  Angie, I'm sure you grow lots and lots of beautiful plants that might only last a couple days here... maybe the reason I only have two species of Primula (and even then, I have to work hard at it... the current 100% water ban might do in P. kisoana), but the Primula hate hot weather... and Meconopsis, only in my dreams.  I am lucky that some Hibiscus do well here... the more sun and heat you can throw at them, the better they flower.

Gail, Dregea sinensis is beautiful :o :o
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2010, 10:21:27 PM »
One plant, three photos... Clethra alnifolia 'Ruby Spice'.  Here again we have a shrub that inhabits the edges of ponds, rivers and swamps, yet is completely drought resistant and amenable to most any garden situation.  Any form or cultivar of this species is worth growing and a "must have" in the summer garden, as its enticing spicy sweet perfume wafts for hundreds of feet, filling the whole yard.  It drives bees, butterflies, and nectar-feeding wasps such as mud-daubers into a feeding frenzy, the hummers like it too.
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

angie

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2010, 10:30:28 PM »
Mark I hope you get rain soon, it must be so much more work for you. I have put two of my Hibiscus in my polytunnel to see if this gives them a better chance of flowering, I think I have said before that these were my mums plants and she did manage to get them to flower, don't know who she managed.
But thanks for showing them I do enjoy seeing what I cant get to flower happily growing somewhere else and making someone happy.

Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2010, 07:13:57 AM »
Thanks for showing all the pics. I feared the entire hemisphere was on holiday.

@ Olga: I love your pictures of the Gentiana's. I like G. georgei and G. tizuensis especially.

@ David: You might think it's nothing special, but it looks very colourful and it's all growing very well...you can recognize the hand of a master-gardener.

@ Mark: Beautiful Hibiscus you have flowering there. I like the Clethra too. Good to see you have a lot of colour in your garden even when it's bone-dry.

@ Gail: love your Dregea, it's a plant I had never heard about before. How high does it climb?

Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2010, 11:47:50 AM »
@ Gail: love your Dregea, it's a plant I had never heard about before. How high does it climb?

Our rose arch is 8ft tall and the Dregea is up and over the top of that so it would easily go higher but it is not really rampant and is easy to control.  (If you prune it, it bleeds white sap like Hoyas)
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Gail

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2010, 02:29:09 PM »
Gail that's something else...I can imagine the fragrance, do you cover with fleece or anything for the winter protection.

No Angie - just cross my fingers and hope....
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

angie

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2010, 02:54:42 PM »
Wish I could grow the Dregea.  I have a couple of Hoyas in the house, my mum had Emphysema and I could never wear perfume as it really caught her breath but when her Hoyas flowered I always offered to take them out of her room but no she wouldnt have that.
A plant well worth growing...maybe if I could find one I could grow it in a pot outside in the summer ::)

Angie T.

angie

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2010, 03:07:47 PM »
Some pictures taken a couple of days ago when it was sunny, today not so good.

I have the name of the golden plant that is always sprawling all over the grass, its Benson my old doggie.
I have started to log all my garden plant names so hopefully I will get better at naming, sorry.

Angie
Angie T.

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2010, 03:39:36 PM »
Angie,

you have a very beautiful and tidy garden. Very nice pictures, thanks for sharing.
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2010, 04:10:55 PM »
Angela! Those cloud pruned trees are superb! Are they Birch trees?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Gail

« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2010, 05:09:56 PM »
So beautiful Angie, and I love your aristocratic looking dog!

I'll see if I can root some Dregea cuttings for you.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2010, 06:42:02 PM »
Just a few shots from today

1.-3. Commelina communis - a little bit weedy but well suited to
        close free space where spring flowering bulbs grew
4.+5. Impatiens arguta - a blue flowering perennial species 
        as opposed to the annual I. namchabarwensis

6. Cymbalaria muralis - a 'wild' form with larger flowers

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2010, 10:50:19 PM »
Lovely plants and images from the north. Olga, the gentians are fabulous!
I can only take comfort from the fact that spring is ALMOST here in the south, with many little bulbs in flower.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2010, 10:55:04 PM »
Benson looks very much as if to say "Just remember whose garden this is, if you please." He looks like a lovely dog. :D

Mark, is there another Clethra not unlike yours above but with white flowers, or perhaps creamy-white? I have something that looks exactly like that. It's leafless at present or I'd take a picture.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

angie

« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2010, 11:26:11 PM »
Hi Lesley yes Benson is such a lovely dog. He is nearly deaf, eyesight is going and he struggles to get up, from day one he has been the perfect dog.
Old age isn't good.

Maggi the tree is Ilex, Derek likes all these shapes in the garden but I much prefer a wilder look.

Gail that would be nice of you to try and root a cutting of your Dregea, its such a lovely plant.

Angie T.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal