We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Outpourings from a Tortured Soul!  (Read 6009 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Outpourings from a Tortured Soul!
« on: August 06, 2010, 12:20:04 PM »
"B****y awful day again", he said as he stumbled, bleary eyed and dressing down clad, into the dining room. "Hasn't the paper come again"
She, who had 40 year's experience of these kinds of morning bliss looked up from her Bran Flakes. "Morning dear" she said "I see we are bright eyed and bushy tailed this morning, as usual"
He said "When I was a lad the paper was always delivered by 0600 "
"According to your Mother" she said "You once got a paper round, worked for one morning, and then decided not to do it again and she had to go to the news agents and explain"
"Is this milk off " he said.
"It wasn't when I got up" she said "But you've probably turned it"
A short period of mutual silence ensued broken only by the clatter of the letter box as the paper dropped through.

"Well, I've one thing to be thankful for" he said, "The papers have forgotten about the World Cup and I don't have to put up with cars flying the Cross of St. George from every window"
"That was only a show of patriotism" she said
"Patriotism!" he said "Patriotism was what my Uncle Walter showed in the war. Captured at Arnhem and spent the rest of the war in a prisoner of war camp"
"According to your Mother" she said. "Your Uncle Walter was batman to a Colonel and the prison camp he was in was a special one for
one for officers. He went to the war weighing six stones wet through and when he came back he'd put on so much weight his Mother didn't recognise him"
"Salt of the earth, my Uncle Walter" he said. "Always said that the working men's club annual day trip to Blackpool was the only holiday he needed. Used to meet at the club at 0630 for a couple of pints before the bus came. Stopped in Todmorden around 0900 at a pub for a full English and another couple of pints. Arrived in Blackpool, straight out of the bus into a pub from where the bus picked him up again at 1900. And when they got back home again they had to take him home in a wheelbarrow".
"They always say family traits are inherited" she said.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
Re: Outpourings from a Tortured Soul!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 01:14:40 PM »
Laugh, David ... I nearly split my lip gloss!   :D

By the way, pubs in Todmorden only serve wet breakfasts now ... in straight or handled glasses.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

maggiepie

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 01:17:28 PM »
Keep them coming, David.
It's nice to start the morning with a good laugh. ;D ;D ;D
Helen Poirier , Australia

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 02:18:23 PM »
Keep them coming, David.
It's nice to start the morning with a good laugh. ;D ;D ;D

Or to have a laugh in the afternoon.
More please, David.  :D :D
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 03:44:27 PM »
Family traits inherited? The only thing I've inherited is grey hair - from my children! :P
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 04:44:22 PM »
David, those years in education have taken their toll.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 08:45:32 PM »
Yes Paddy they have. I used to be sane ;D

Glad you enjoyed the ramble folks.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 10:44:07 AM »
David, I love it to read your morning dialogue with "her"  :D 8)

Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 07:10:34 PM »
Great stuff David !!
Now all you need is a good crime and you can set up a Midsummer Murders scenario !  ;D ;D

Do keep'em coming !!
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 08:45:45 PM »
Hi Luc and Luit,

Glad you enjoyed the bit of fun. I wasn't sure if it would "translate" OK for you "big Islanders" but it must have done, and Wim enjoyed it as well. Now, if I was to try one in Dutch and Flemish :P
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 09:28:47 PM »
mmm... now that'll be the day !!  ;D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 09:30:13 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 10:41:34 PM »
Thanks for this new insight into the Nicholson's morning routine David. I loved it all. I do hope you will arrange each chapter in a little book of collected works, for the future benefit of man and womankind. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2010, 11:29:28 PM »
Hi Luc and Luit,

Glad you enjoyed the bit of fun. I wasn't sure if it would "translate" OK for you "big Islanders" but it must have done, and Wim enjoyed it as well. Now, if I was to try one in Dutch and Flemish :P
Cannot wait for it David ;D ;D

But to be honest, I nneded to look up some words to understand the right sentence. Nevertheless it was worth it  :D
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 08:00:04 AM »
Hi Luc and Luit,

Hmmm,

that would be interesting...looking forward to the next "outpour" in English or in Dutch  ;)
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal