We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Wildlife August 2010  (Read 14402 times)

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
Re: Wildlife August 2010
« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2010, 09:42:49 AM »
Foxes are incredible smart. Here in the dunes they get fed too along the cycling paths in the dunes. They are waiting until one stops and will come to people, but they don’t even move when you pass by.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #76 on: August 26, 2010, 09:49:42 AM »
Not a common sight around here - the yellow tailed Black Cockatoo (Calyptorhynchus funereus)
but they are obviously attracted to the seeds inside pine cones and the Monterey Pine (Pinus radiata) is feral in many parts of Australia.

cheers
fermi
Fascinating birds Fermi.  The various white cockatoos and Moluccans are fairly common in bird collections over here but I don't think I've ever seen a black one.
Picture is my son with a Moluccan at Desford bird garden in Leicestershire many years ago.  Sadly the cockatoo was stolen and I don't think they recovered her.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #77 on: August 26, 2010, 10:13:07 AM »
Gail,
it's a pity that Australia doesn't take advantage of the demand for these birds (mainly the sulphur crested cockatoo) overseas to make some money out of them! Instead they breed up, destroy crops and then farmers get permits to "cull" them! I know that exploiting them is a problem and the illegal trade in these birds is worse than rare plants! But there has to be a middle ground.
And "No" I'll not try to export any myself ;D Though I have nasty thoughts towards them as they are currently in their vandalistic stage and ripping daffodils and the early liliums to shreds! :'(
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #78 on: August 27, 2010, 11:18:01 AM »
We used to have a Moluccan called Sinbad, until we found out she was a Sindy. We then lent her to Edinburgh Zoo (for their breeding programme) but she died.  The technical reason given was inanition. :'(
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 09:01:05 PM by Maggi Young »
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #79 on: August 27, 2010, 11:52:00 AM »
So sorry to hear this Anthony.  Breeding programmes for Moluccans seem to be fraught with dangers; I've heard of females been killed by over-aggressive males.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #80 on: August 27, 2010, 09:05:30 PM »
I'm told it is tricky to get such birds to adjust to changed situations and so that might cause a failure to thrive. Underlying medical problems can also cause an inability to either take food or gain nourishment from it... happens with dogs, too. :'(
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2010, 09:41:09 AM »
Three images captured yesterday of a hawker (species/sex please?) that landed very conveniently on Sue's pink cardigan as we walked around a public garden.

HAWKER

Please click on each image to expand.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #82 on: August 28, 2010, 10:27:33 AM »
An amazing set of images Cliff - Sue obviously welcomes Hawkers  ;D
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
« Reply #83 on: August 28, 2010, 04:12:42 PM »
not really wild more slightly peeved at having to stand so still for so long..
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #84 on: August 28, 2010, 05:45:43 PM »
Just chased a LARGE female wild turkey out of my garden.  No pictures, I was too distressed by the immediacy of the scenario.  Happened to look out my bedroom window, and noticed the scene, a large turkey sitting in a raised dirt crater she created (a nest) in amongst my newly prepared area where I planted about 2500 trillium seed (of 20 species).  You'll all probably think I was mean, but I had to nip this one in the bud and chase the turkey away. This turkey has been hanging around recently, and I can't tolerate the potential damage that might (will) occur if allowed to nest here and raise a brood of young ones, there's enough wild open spaces nearby that she can nest in.  The crater was surprisingly wide and deep, fortunately just missing my in-situ-sown Trillium beds.  I didn't want to resort to covering the whole area in wire mesh, but it looks like I'll have to, at least temporarily.
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #85 on: August 28, 2010, 05:58:03 PM »
Earlier in May I posted a photo of a gorgeous group of cygnets on the river, 8 in all.  This is the same group raised by two amazing and dedicated parent swans who have watched over and nurtured them  :)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #86 on: August 28, 2010, 08:25:01 PM »
8 is an excellent number to survive to this stage. Very often there are only 2 or 3
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #87 on: August 28, 2010, 08:42:13 PM »
Great images from everybody.

McMark,
I can imagine your inner annoyance and it puts a smile in my face :). Don't think I'm nasty but my experience is that animals seem to have a fine sense to exactly occupy well prepared places... ;D Either cats, dogs, squirrels, birds or even a large wild turkey ;D
Best wishes
Armin

alpines

• Alan's the one with the beard
    • The Alpine Garden
« Reply #88 on: August 28, 2010, 11:48:30 PM »
Not sure if I've posted a pic of this beauty previously, so forgive me if I have but thought you might like to see our friendly neighborhood "Orb Weaver" (Argiope aurantia). It's about 1.5 inches in length and is non=poisonous, although it can give you a nasty allergic reaction if it decides to bite you. Note the turquoise colored 'orb' and the zig-zag web.
Alan & Sherba Grainger
in beautiful Berea, Kentucky, USA. Zone 6
www.thealpinegarden.com
www.KentuckyFlora.com

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #89 on: August 29, 2010, 10:18:04 AM »
What a beautiful photo, Robin! And also the spider - I have pet ones too, the biggest are in the compost heap. My indoor 'friends' give me a perfect excuse for not dusting in the corners! ;D
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal