We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: September 2010 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 24023 times)

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
Re: September 2010 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #135 on: September 27, 2010, 02:11:27 PM »
for you Lesley, to remind you of the happy time we all had that evening in the Restaurant - I have never seen you so happy and content !Have you settled down again to everday mundane chores ?

a couple of common ,easy Frits for the border , in bloom today . I wished all Frits would be so obliging

Otto.
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #136 on: September 27, 2010, 07:45:54 PM »
Some bulbs flowering now bye Ray

Spiloxene capensis
       "           "
Tulipa saxatalis
Scilla peruviana harrisiana
Tulipa kurdica
Hesperantha vaginata
Moraea villosa
Moraea Karen Seymour
Geissorhiza radians

Beautiful stuff Ray.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #137 on: September 27, 2010, 10:22:37 PM »
Dear Otto, under the circumstances which we shan't discuss here, that picture lies through its teeth. :o But yes, it was a happy night and as with all my few days, I enjoyed every minute though my poor feet are only now recovering from the tramp through Melbourne's paved streets. They are more used to life on grass!

I've not looked at my photos yet and still have to take the camera for a professional to look at. Roger has had no more success at sorting out the battery problem than Paul had so it will be a few days but I can upload and post and will start that later today. I really need to weed but after yesterday's heat today is cold and grey and just about to rain I think.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #138 on: September 27, 2010, 11:01:22 PM »
For the record folks, I complained to Otto that though I'd spent several holidays with him, I had never been into the city itself so he arranged with his botanical artist friend that we would meet him for lunch on the Tuesday and I would see some of the sights. With a second bot artist (they're 10 a penny in Melbourne  :D) we travelled by car into the city and spent the best part of the morning at a wonderful exhibition of European Masters at the National Gallery of Victoria. These paintings were from the Stadel Museum in Frankfurt (2 little dots over the a) and it was a great privilege to see so many works in one place at one time. My favourites were "Dog lying in the snow" by Franz Marc, "The Lamb" by Paul Klee and "Still life with mimosa" by Max Beckmann. I'd be happy to give any of these house room given a few million dollars. I bought the catalogue so can revisit them at will and learn more about the artists, many of whose names were unknown to me.

Then we walked to meet John Pastoriza-Pinol, (one of those little squiggles over the n) Otto's bot art friend, who works in the city but also does exquisite botanical paintings, so good that he has recently been commisioned by the the RBG Kew for some work. John took us up some dark and rickety stairs to what seemed to be a sleazy back alley place for lunch but was, in fact, the workroom of a cobbler, a barber, a tailor and a something else who had all combined to use an old and delapidated building and in which a large central room had been converted to a cafe. We had orange juice and the most delicious turkey and salad sandwiches accompanied by much laughter.

Then John took us onto Melbourne's famous Collins Street where he introduced us to the Lindt shop. Pure chocolate in every shape and form. We had mocha-chocolate to drink and little meringues with chocolate fillings and gazed longingly at velvety cakes and gateaux but desisted very bravely.

John had to leave then so Deborah and Otto and I explored the upper reaches of Collins St where Deb and I tried to persuade Otto to buy an Armani suit but he would have had to mortgage his house. We had a good look through the big name shops, Armani, Louis Vuitton, Versace, Chanel, Jimmy Choo and the rest and always were looked at as if we were about to steal something, and sneered at in a most competent and practised manner. My tatty denim jacket and pants and Otto's car-crumpled trousers and jersey probably didn't help so we asked one assistant how it felt to sell only one handkerchief in a day and be so dreadfully bored for the rest of it. He could only respond with a snigger.

Home eventually to Otto's excellent cooking for tea and a quite early bedtime for me.

Otherwise, we had dinner out 3 times, lunch 4 times, visits to the beautiful Cloudhill, Tim's, Viv's, Fermi's and Stephen Ryan's gardens, the Ferny Creek Hort Society's garden and the Mt Macedon plant fair. Not bad for 6 days!

« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 11:02:57 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

arillady

« Reply #139 on: September 27, 2010, 11:54:22 PM »
No wonder your feet hurt Lesley - but what a jam packed 6 days. Thanks for the diary of events.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #140 on: September 28, 2010, 12:29:20 AM »
Lesley,
Hopefully you'll get the camera fixed or at least get those pics downloaded! I'm glad you had a chance to do some non-gardening tings while in Melbourne - it seems the only things I've done while in NZ was look at plants, gardens or books about plants and gardens ;D Not that I'm complaining! But one time we'll have to come for a longer visit and explore a bit more of the country!
I've realised that I've posted most of my recent garden pics on other threads, so I'll include a few I couldn't resist re-posting here!
Tulipa saxatilis clump,
245305-0

Tulipa kolpakowskiana
245307-1

Acis trichophylla
245309-2

Hymenoxis argentea (Lesley, this is the little bun in the rock garden which I told you was a Townsendia :-[ )
245311-3

Some Anemone pavonina grown from SRGC Seedex seed,
white with red exterior at the base
245313-4

Plain red (Lesley, I've kept one isolated so it might breed true if you want seeds - and if it sets some!)
245315-5

This red with a white centre was from Garry Reid at the Mt Macedon Plant Fair a few years ago
245317-6

cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #141 on: September 28, 2010, 05:02:50 AM »
Very nice, Fermi.  Love that red and white.... strikingly sharp division of colour, isn't it?  I still like your white with the bluish stamens, which is seeding here and there in your garden. 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

arillady

« Reply #142 on: September 28, 2010, 10:17:48 AM »
Fermi does Tulipa saxatilis keep flowering like Tulipa clusiana which has flowered here from at least 4.9.10 or before till now with its last flower and this was new bulbs this year from Marcus. :D Will be nice to have such a great clump as you have shown.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

arillady

« Reply #143 on: September 28, 2010, 10:19:04 AM »
Otto your Fritillarias are really graceful - lovely.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #144 on: September 28, 2010, 11:08:58 AM »
I have been sitting on these pictures from the Otago Alpine Garden Groups Spring show for over a week now. Not a huge number of entries but some nice plants none the less.

First New Zealand natives. Stuart deservedly carried off most of the prizes as his cultivation skills are second to none.

1 Aciphylla monroi, Leucogenes hybrid ' Mt Richmond', Carmichaelia nana

2 A group of three Celmisias  Celmisia X linearis, Celmisia sessiliflora, Celmisia spedenii

3 A group of three Myosotis Myosotis sp from NW Nelson. Myosotis capitata, Myosotis elderi/lyallii

4 Dracophyllum muscoides, Celmisia linearis

5 A group of three Raoulias Raoulia monroii, Raoulia X loganii, Raoulia haastii.

6 Celmisia brevifolia in flower

7 Leptinella pectinata

8 Raoulia petriensis Chionohebe densifolia. Helichrysum intermedium var tumidum
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 12:44:13 PM by Maggi Young »
David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

Tecophilaea King

• traveling off the beaten track
« Reply #145 on: September 28, 2010, 01:36:03 PM »
Great to see you all had a wonderful time together, and thanks to everone for all the beautiful and interesting pictures and stories you shared with us.
I enjoyed every episode and wished I would have been there. Back to weeding the garden again guys.  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 01:54:19 PM by Tecophilaea King »
Bill Dijk in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Climate zone 10

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #146 on: September 28, 2010, 01:49:43 PM »
Bill,

I'm trying to work out whether it is weeding the garden, or gardening the weeds?  I'm unsure which has pre-eminence in my garden.  ::)

Sorry I haven't posted any more pics as yet..... our local public holiday on Monday this week meant that work was absolutely crazy over the weekend and it knocked the stuffing out of me.  I'm working tomorrow as well, then my usual Friday to Monday, which includes a national public holiday on Monday.  Again it will be chaos at work in the nursery.  :o  I already need another holiday..... believe me, by the end of Monday this week I certainly didn't feel like I'd been on holiday a week ago. :'(

Trying to relax today, Yvonne and I did get to Floriade, which is on here in Canberra at the moment.  I took lots of pics to share if people are interested.... if/when I ever get them prepared. ;)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Tecophilaea King

• traveling off the beaten track
« Reply #147 on: September 28, 2010, 09:01:16 PM »
Pacific Coast irises are another popular spring flowering group of the Iris family, with many hybrids between the various species and often sold as Pacific Coast hybrids with cultivar names.
They can be challenging to divide and transplant and this is best done in the wet winter months.
These pictures of seedlings are the first of many PCI we grow and come in every imaginable colour, size and shape
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 09:11:26 PM by Tecophilaea King »
Bill Dijk in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Climate zone 10

fleurbleue

• les Jardins des Grims
« Reply #148 on: September 28, 2010, 09:23:46 PM »
The third flower has a very nice colour  ::)
Nicole, Sud Est France,  altitude 110 m    Zone 8

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #149 on: September 28, 2010, 09:40:59 PM »
Beautiful Bill - amazing variety in form and colour.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal