We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Earthquake New Zealand  (Read 6043 times)

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
Re: Earthquake New Zealand
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2010, 12:35:14 PM »
Glad to know you guys are okay over there!
We're having floods in Central Victoria at the moment   :o - the locusts are due next month! ;)
I guess we are "living in interesting times'!
cheers
fermi
Crumbs! Locust and frogs. What other Biblical plagues are going to happen?
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2010, 01:51:06 PM »
That must pose interesting legal questions as to who owns what  ???

One certainly might be on shaky ground!   ;)

Apologies, very best wishes and please stay safe ... to all our friends in New Zealand.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

DaveM

• Doctor Rock
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2010, 09:07:28 PM »
OOOOOOh groan - you certainly need to apologise for that one Cliff.

Thanks for your comments Lesley and David. That must have been a frightening experience Lesley, but your tale certainly paints a scary picture of such dust storms.

David, interesting times indeed. What could be deduced from the evidence presented in the pictures is certainly consistent with the broader picture you relate. Thanks for this.
Dave Millward, East Lothian, Scotland

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2010, 06:26:33 AM »
I heard on the radio today that some ...boundry fences and buildings have moved up to 4 metres from their original positions.

Is that towards Australia or away? ;) We offered you a place at Federation and you refused so don't think you can just become part of us by moving a few tectonic plates! ;D ;D ;D

A friend has sent this link to the Canterbury Uni: http://www.canterbury.ac.nz/photos.shtml
Some rooms just look like what you'd expect Uni students to leave behind them! ;D
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

galahad

• Ross
    • Wild Hybrid
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2010, 08:41:41 AM »
First job today when I arrived at work was to evacuate the hotel after a 5.1 shake.   :(
State of emergency has been extended by 7 days after this mornings rattler
Christchurch, New Zealand

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2010, 10:47:01 PM »
I think the boundries were moved towards the sea Fermi, the Pacific, that is, so more likely we'll join up again with South America, maybe resurrect Gondwanaland! ;D

Re the university pictures, it can be seen why Canterbury Uni has closed until the 13th at least. I've said some very ude words about uni students over the years, especially when the Canterbury engineering school trashes Dunedin on their annual "Undie 500" run but classes off in the meantime, one bright lad put out a notice by text and on Facebook asking for a couple of dozen students to help with some cleaning up of properties owned by elderly folks living alone. MORE THAN 2000 TURNED UP with wheelbarrows, spades, shovels, brooms and other tools and they have spent the week, boys and girls, shovelling the ghastly mud and silt from peoples gardens, paths and houses, and dumping it on the streets for the council trucks to collect and take away. As one elderly woman said, "no-one else has been by. If it wasn't for these young people we'd be covered with the stuff by now."
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Senecio 2

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2010, 01:44:04 AM »
After the quake. Not as bad as it looks, still plenty of survivors for the Otago Alpine Group show in Dunedin on the 18th and 19th September

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2010, 08:13:07 AM »
Here is a link to Geonet showing the fault an aerial photos of the fault trace. You can see the offset by the displacement of the irrigation ditches and shelter belts. 

http://www.geonet.org.nz/news/article-sep-4-2010-christchurch-earthquake.html

for the life of me, i cannot find photos from that page :(

John Kitt

• The Spent Gardener
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2010, 08:34:59 AM »
We have been watching the demolition work in the centre of Christchurch on our cable TV and broadcast services. It really is heart wrenching to see wonderful old buildings having to be pulled down.  More upsetting is the announcements of job losses because some business will not reopen following the earthquake damage.
We Australians have lots of experiences with natural disasters (drought and flood and fire) so we can empathise, but this is New Zealand's "Garden City" so this really does become personal.  In these trying time I hope all Kiwi's "maintain their keen sense of humus"

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2010, 09:04:04 AM »
After the quake. Not as bad as it looks, still plenty of survivors for the Otago Alpine Group show in Dunedin on the 18th and 19th September

I knew you double potted a lot Stuart but didn't realise it's everything  :)
Do you think you will lose anything ?.
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2010, 09:09:13 AM »
Lesley,

Your reporting of the 2,000 students turning up to clean out gardens etc is a good new story. Nice to read it.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2010, 09:09:35 AM »
one bright lad put out a notice by text and on Facebook asking for a couple of dozen students to help with some cleaning up of properties owned by elderly folks living alone. MORE THAN 2000 TURNED UP with wheelbarrows, spades, shovels, brooms and other tools and they have spent the week, boys and girls, shovelling the ghastly mud and silt from peoples gardens, paths and houses, and dumping it on the streets for the council trucks to collect and take away. As one elderly woman said, "no-one else has been by. If it wasn't for these young people we'd be covered with the stuff by now."

That's good to hear Lesley, kind of restores your faith in the next generation ;)
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2010, 10:28:49 AM »
Here is a link to Geonet showing the fault an aerial photos of the fault trace. You can see the offset by the displacement of the irrigation ditches and shelter belts. 

http://www.geonet.org.nz/news/article-sep-4-2010-christchurch-earthquake.html

for the life of me, i cannot find photos from that page :(

cohan... neither can I!!      Help!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2010, 11:00:58 AM »
David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2010, 11:09:00 AM »
That is strange --i viewed the photos ,(and video shot from a helicopter),just after you posted the details David --however i cannot locate them .

I see the geonet page has been updated since so possibly the earlier info has been superseded ?.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 11:11:47 AM by t00lie »
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal