We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus Autumn 2010  (Read 37043 times)

Paddy Tobin

Re: Galanthus Autumn 2010
« Reply #105 on: October 27, 2010, 06:42:25 PM »
And here in Ireland there is one leaf showing on one G. reginae olgae so I am looking at all these postings and lovely photographs with great envy and longing.

I think I may have to start growing G. reginae olgae under glass. They simply do not do well outdoors here. Irish slugs are  particularly fond of these lovely plants.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

alpinelover

« Reply #106 on: October 27, 2010, 06:57:52 PM »
And here in Ireland there is one leaf showing on one G. reginae olgae so I am looking at all these postings and lovely photographs with great envy and longing.

I think I may have to start growing G. reginae olgae under glass. They simply do not do well outdoors here. Irish slugs are  particularly fond of these lovely plants.

Paddy

Many slugs here in Belgium too, Paddy. It's every year the same thing, and G. reginae-olgae subsp. reginae-olgae is a tastefull candy for the slugs.
Lichtervelde, West-Vlaanderen

steve owen

« Reply #107 on: October 27, 2010, 07:17:43 PM »
Paddy

I learned an expensive lesson planting some r/o in open ground. Slugs scoffed the flowers and then the bulbs disappeared in sympathy. I replaced the bulbs (at even more expense) but planted them in pots, and now have several healthy and flowering r/o varieties. The pots are not in the alpine house but on open staging. I may try putting one or two alpine galanthus varieties into pots next.

Meanwhile noses are up for Barnes, Donald Sims Early, Art Nouveau, Peter Gatehouse, and an early monostictus; also a pot of three Mary Hely-Hutchinson which I was given as allegedly-virused plants last year rather than see them thrown away. Its early growth looks vigorous too, but safety-first, the pot is well away from t'others. 

Whilst posting, can anyone suggest where I can obtain some tufa rock in which to try planting some primula allionii, reasonably cheaply? Will the rock sold in garden centres for fishtanks suffice or is that not the real thing?

Steve

NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

alpinelover

« Reply #108 on: October 27, 2010, 08:14:59 PM »
Paddy

I learned an expensive lesson planting some r/o in open ground. Slugs scoffed the flowers and then the bulbs disappeared in sympathy. I replaced the bulbs (at even more expense) but planted them in pots, and now have several healthy and flowering r/o varieties. The pots are not in the alpine house but on open staging. I may try putting one or two alpine galanthus varieties into pots next.

Meanwhile noses are up for Barnes, Donald Sims Early, Art Nouveau, Peter Gatehouse, and an early monostictus; also a pot of three Mary Hely-Hutchinson which I was given as allegedly-virused plants last year rather than see them thrown away. Its early growth looks vigorous too, but safety-first, the pot is well away from t'others. 

Whilst posting, can anyone suggest where I can obtain some tufa rock in which to try planting some primula allionii, reasonably cheaply? Will the rock sold in garden centres for fishtanks suffice or is that not the real thing?

Steve

Hello Steve,

I don't know if you sometimes in Belgium, but here in Brugge (near the sea) there is a alpinenursery who has beautiful tufa rocks in all kind of sizes.
Check this out: www.alpenplanten.be
Lichtervelde, West-Vlaanderen

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #109 on: October 27, 2010, 08:28:07 PM »
Steve,

I certainly think I will have to grow G. reginae olgae in pots. They simply will not do in the open ground and it would be a pity to be without them.

Re. G. 'Mary Hely-Hutchinson - can you, please, please put my name on a bulb somewhere down the line. It's an Irish one but simply not available here, nor it is for sale anywhere that I know of.

Paddy

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #110 on: October 27, 2010, 09:03:50 PM »
Dunblane is the slug centre of the universe yet my reginae-olgae have been flowering away for nearly a month with no addition of slug pellets. Too many other things for them to eat.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #111 on: October 28, 2010, 04:57:48 AM »
Hi Steve

Whenever I have bought tufa it has been from http://www.rotherview.com/ - they don't always have it in stock though so I would suggest a phone call before visiting.
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

steve owen

« Reply #112 on: October 28, 2010, 08:48:34 AM »
Hi Alpinelover and John

Thanks v much for the pointers re tufa. Paddy, I've PM-d to you.

Steve
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #113 on: October 28, 2010, 09:38:12 AM »
Dunblane is the slug centre of the universe yet my reginae-olgae have been flowering away for nearly a month with no addition of slug pellets. Too many other things for them to eat.

I cannot explain it, Anthony, but they don't do well here at all and, as I said, the first shoot is only now peeping above ground. Lesley told me he has the same experience in west Cork.

Any suggestions on an explanation, anybody?

Many thanks, Steve.

Paddy

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #114 on: October 28, 2010, 11:28:59 AM »
It's the same in Kent for R-O's Paddy - only just through the ground in my garden.
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #115 on: October 28, 2010, 01:49:39 PM »
It's the same in Kent for R-O's Paddy - only just through the ground in my garden.

Now, I feel a little less deprived. Paddy

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #116 on: October 28, 2010, 02:05:17 PM »
I suppose it's all to do with when autumn arrives? First weekend in August is regarded as the end of summer here in Dunblane, so after that it is autumn. Our spring and summer flowers are out later and our autumn flowers are out earlier.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #117 on: October 28, 2010, 02:22:32 PM »

Now, I feel a little less deprived. Paddy

...and I won't even mention my cold garden :-\
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

loes

« Reply #118 on: October 28, 2010, 04:57:31 PM »
as they start growing when the temperature goes down and rains are starting,it is likely they flower early in colder aerea`s.In my Dutch garden I only have buds on the r-o and Barnes.Our summer last longer  ;D ;D ;D
here are mine:
reginae-olgae ro
Autumn Beauty
Hiemalis Barnes
Loes de Groot
Haarlem
Holland

www.catteryvanhetzaanenbos.nl

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #119 on: October 28, 2010, 05:21:19 PM »
That sounds like a sensible explanation, Anthony. We certainly have warmer temperatures for longer than you. Our first frost was on Monday last so the snowdrops will not have had the cold needed to prompt them into growth. Patience is needed.

Paddy

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal