We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Flowering now July 2007  (Read 36120 times)

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
Re: Flowering now July 2007
« Reply #90 on: July 22, 2007, 09:50:10 PM »
My apologies!  After reviewing some of the images it seems that I have overdone the 'save at reduced quality' a little.....
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #91 on: July 22, 2007, 09:53:22 PM »
My apologies!  After reviewing some of the images it seems that I have overdone the 'save at reduced quality' a little.....
They're looking good on my screen, Cliff, never fear.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #92 on: July 22, 2007, 11:14:57 PM »
They look fine to me too, thanks Cliff. Maybe not alpine but wonderfully colourful and I can use some of that as our hard frosts continue. That no 2 in the third posting reminds me strongly of something I had 10 or 12 years ago as ? `Rustic Dwarfs.' They were big, sunflower-type flowers on shortish sturdy stems and all in amazing shades of coffee, cocoa, mahogany, anything brown you can imagine. I loved them dearly but where are they now? :-\

Our overseas news is showing yet more dreadful flooding in parts of the UK. I do truly feel for you and hope things improve very soon.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #93 on: July 23, 2007, 09:51:29 AM »
Lesley,
Sadly the Rudbeckia hirta "Rustic Dwarf' series are half hardy annuals.  They are spectacular but that could explain why they have gone the way of all flesh!
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #94 on: July 23, 2007, 05:22:13 PM »
A few flowers from the garden, thankfully we have not been subject to the floods that are still affecting other parts of the country.  How those poor people feel who have been flooded three times in as many weeks I cannot envisage.

Alstroemeria psittacina
Astrantia - one of many seedlings
Berkeya purpurea and close up
Bulbinella hookeri and close up
Bupleurum bronze form
Dicentra torulosa

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #95 on: July 23, 2007, 05:26:28 PM »
I rather like Dierama so here are a few, the igneum is a short form which is particularly nice.
Dierama igneum
Dierama Blackbird
Dierama Lancelot
I think the flower form of this lathyrus is beautiful
Lathyrus belinensis
Leonotis leonurus flowering quite late for us this year
Linnaeus's marigold
Morina longifolia  the one that was bought as persica!!

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #96 on: July 23, 2007, 05:31:09 PM »
lastly today
Scutellaria hubrechtii
Stylidium Little Sapphire - you can just see the triggers on the flower which give it it's common name
Zigadenus elegans, slowly clumping up

and two I was knocked over by at East Ruston Old Vicarage a couple of weeks ago
Puya alpestris an extraordinary coloured flower
and lastly is this a Watsonia?  It has bulbils up the stem, it wasn't labelled and the closest thing I could see in flower at the time was a Watsonia.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #97 on: July 23, 2007, 10:34:58 PM »
Brian,

A great selection of photographs. Many thanks.

Like yourself, I like dieramas very much though they can become very weedy, especially when planted in gravel I find. Have you tried Silverhill Seeds for dierama and all other South African bulbs - great selection of wild collected seed available by mail order.

Your last photographs certainly looks like a watsonis cultivar, in a very nice salmon colour, very desirable. However, I have never noticed any bulbils on the stems of watsonias. I wonder if by any chance you were noticing the seed pods?

That lathyrus above is certainly a very special bloom, lovely veining on the petals. The Berkeya purpurea is another fabulous plant.

I really must get the camera out and take a few photographs. After being away for a while I have been in the garden dawn(well, early in the morning) till dusk and haven't taken the time for photography.

By the way, what camera are you using? The photograph from yesterday, a damselfly was it?, had great clarity and detail. Excellently shot.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #98 on: July 23, 2007, 11:17:30 PM »
Thanks for your comments Paddy and I'll certainly investigate Silverhill seeds...I also am very fond of Eucomis!  As to the Watsonia ???  they were small bulblets (just like mini onions with a brown coat) at the junction of the stem and the leaf as I remember.  I thought it was about time I put something else on the site and I got the camera out to get the battery charged so diverted round the garden ;D
Sorry not my photo of a damselfly and I wasn't too happy with the photos as the wind was not helpful - for example the Albuca shawii in the garden refused to stay still to be photographed!  The camera I do use is a Canon Ixus 700 no longer available as they are up to the Ixus 950.  It's a "press here dummy" camera but with the ability to manage the settings manually.  It's also a nice weight and comfortable to hold - two of the most important factors with a non SLR I think.  Comparing the photos with the Canon EOS SLR (other half) is embarassing but I just about hold my own!

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #99 on: July 23, 2007, 11:27:33 PM »
Many thanks, Brian.

Sorry about the mix-up re photograph of damsel fly - late at night now after a long day's slog in the garden. The people of Silverhills Seeds, can't recall the names at present, are coming to talk in Cork in September or October.

The Canon - well, I can dream!

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #100 on: July 24, 2007, 12:10:58 AM »
A great selection Brian as Paddy says. Yes, it IS a Watsonia and some species DO make bulbils on their stems. Beware of them as they spread widely and quickly. Maybe your winters would keep them in check. Those species (and I can't name them) are prohibited plants in NZ.

I found some of my `Rustic Dwarfs' lasted a second and even third year, depending, I suppose, on severity of the winter but yes, they were certainly short-lived. I had a bit of seed too but usually on the yellower forms rather than the best browns.

Is the pea perennial? The yellows are usually annual. 
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #101 on: July 24, 2007, 12:30:34 AM »
Lesley,

Didn't know that the prohibition extended to speech. Your quarantine is waaay stricter than ours.
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #102 on: July 24, 2007, 04:24:55 AM »
One up to you Rob. I am UNABLE (not MAY NOT) to name them ;D

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #103 on: July 24, 2007, 05:02:21 AM »
I'm sure that one of the Watsonias which dare not speak their names would be W. bulbifera
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #104 on: July 24, 2007, 11:58:32 AM »
Brian,

Fantastic photos!!!  Is that Bulbinella as orange as in the photo?  I'm only familiar with the yellow ones (B. nutans?) which I just adore here even if they do seed around a little too healthily at times, and the pale pink cauda-fellis (from memory) which I lost one year.  An orange one sounds delightful.  I must look up Puya too, as I love black flowers.  Rather interesting pic to put it mildly.  Great to see so many other things you're growing that I have here in my garden too..... many months from now!! <grin>  So strange to see you with your summer flowering stuff now while I have Galanthus and Eranthis flowering!!  :o
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal