We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus: October 2010  (Read 45390 times)

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
Re: Crocus: October 2010
« Reply #120 on: October 12, 2010, 06:43:16 AM »
As the first I enter seedling of Crocus hadriaticus. May be not very bright, but I like its strong lines and delicate cool color.
Janis
Janis - a very attractive flower but it seems to have white anthers. Is this just the photograph?
Anthers are creamy white. It surprises me, too. It is the first plant blooming from this seedling portion. Although my stock grown under name 'Tom Blanchard' has creamy yellow anthers, of course darker than on this specimen. Will see what will show other seedlings from same pot if they will bloom.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #121 on: October 12, 2010, 06:51:04 AM »
Yesterday I was too tired to post other pictures. Today is cold rain and just finished minor hail, so no more flowers expected today. I'm posting few which left from yesterday.
This C. niveus attached my attention by its bicolored color contrast between outer and inner segments.
Another flower from Crocus ochroleucus from Israel. Flowers are very small, but corms were small, too, so I'm really surprised and happy for their blooming.
Crocus pulchellus has several albino forms, too. The brightest throat is in cv. 'Michael Hoog' selected in Hoog's nursery and distributed by Antoine Hoog. My own selection has lighter yellow throat but its petals are wider and more rounded.
As the last in this entry - Crocus robertianus albus.
Janis

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #122 on: October 12, 2010, 06:58:55 AM »
In this entry several Crocus speciosus forms
cv. 'Cloudy Sky' is selected by Zhirair from material collected wild in Armenia. As all Caucasian speciosus - it has large flowers. Larger flowers I observed only in some old Dutch cultivars and on specimens from Crimea.
Then follows two acquisitions from Iran. They are something intermediate between subsp. ilgazensis and subsp. xantholaimos. They are late blooming (as xantholaimos, ilgazensis is very early). Throat is yellow but not so deep as in xantholaimos (on next picture), but stigmatic branches very rarely slightly exceed anthers which makes it closer to subsp. ilgazensis.
And as last picture - how will look my coming book. Its front cover picture appeared on Timber Press home-page. It will be available from 5th of January (personal information from Timber Press).
Janis

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #123 on: October 12, 2010, 09:33:23 AM »
Diane, keep this clusii isolated - may be all will be OK, only two fl. segments is suspicious, but it can be machanical damage, too as other petals seem to be completely healthy. If next autumn symptoms will repeat - then... :'(
Janis

Thanks very much for this advice, Janis, I'll pull it out of the pot and keep checking
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #124 on: October 12, 2010, 12:39:48 PM »
Janis, have truly enjoyed your succession of beautiful crocus, I can see why you are so specially interested in them.  Congratulations on your book too, it looks to be a "must have" book for any serious bulb lover, I can't wait to see it.

On that note, I post two photos of C. sativus, as it was looking particularly fine, one photo while shaded from a bush and a photo back-lit from the sun.  I was working on extending a flower bed, about 6 meters from the Crocus planting, and I could smell this crocus' sweet perfume from that far away!  Sunny and warm that day, to amplify the perfume.

From wikipedia, an in depth discussion on saffron, very interesting!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saffron
Here's a quote from it:
"C. sativus thrives in the Mediterranean maquis, the North American chaparral, and like climates where hot, dry summer breezes sweep semi-arid lands. It can nonetheless survive cold winters by tolerating frosts as low as −10 °C (14 °F) and short periods of snow cover."

I think C. sativus is much more winter hardy than 14 °F, as I've had mine for about 8 years.  It is VERY SLOW to get going and increase, but once established it appears to be one of the more reliable of the autumn crocus for this climate in northeastern USA.
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #125 on: October 12, 2010, 02:43:26 PM »

On that note, I post two photos of C. sativus, as it was looking particularly fine, one photo while shaded from a bush and a photo back-lit from the sun.  I was working on extending a flower bed, about 6 meters from the Crocus planting, and I could smell this crocus' sweet perfume from that far away!  Sunny and warm that day, to amplify the perfume.

I think C. sativus is much more winter hardy than 14 °F, as I've had mine for about 8 years.  It is VERY SLOW to get going and increase, but once established it appears to be one of the more reliable of the autumn crocus for this climate in northeastern USA.
Thanks for nice words. Unfortunately Crocus sativus here is growing (only in pots) but even left in hot greenhouse during summer it never flowered with me. Seem to be too "cold" in summer, may be other factors involved, too.
Janis

ArnoldT

« Reply #126 on: October 12, 2010, 04:10:51 PM »
I have read somewhere, maybe B. Mathew's book that planting the C. sativus corms deep improves their growth.

Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

olegKon

• onion farmer to the forum
« Reply #127 on: October 12, 2010, 04:12:13 PM »
Janis, congratulations on the book. I recon everybody has their mouths wet waiting for it to be released.
Here are some crocus enjoying the last warm days
1. The palest form of Crocus kotchianus I have
2. Crocus kotchianus
3.4. Crocus kotchianus leucopharynx (I think) received as C.golimii
5. Crocus speciosus
in Moscow

BULBISSIME

• USDA zone 8
    • My pictures gallery :
« Reply #128 on: October 12, 2010, 04:49:56 PM »
I'm growing Crocus sativus since many many years, about 5-6 cm deep and we had -18°C for several days.
Corms increase well and I collect lot of saffron every year.
They're just begining to flower .
Fred
Vienne, France

( USDA zone 8 )
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/IrisOncocyclus

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #129 on: October 12, 2010, 06:29:20 PM »
Crocus wattiorum in flower today. The second picture is when it has opened wide in full sun and shows its black stamens and red stigma which are characteristic of it.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #130 on: October 12, 2010, 06:54:58 PM »
Absolutely brilliant Tony !!  :o :o
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Hagen Engelmann

• treuer Schneeglöckchenfreund
    • http://www.engelmannii.de
« Reply #131 on: October 12, 2010, 08:06:52 PM »
Thank you all for these fine crocus pics. They are a feast for the eyes. But Janis, your Crocus niveus PELOPONES is an eyecatcher. I like the soft blue on the outer segments. I hope it is the truth. ;).
Hagen Engelmann Brandenburg/Germany (80m) http://www.engelmannii.de]

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #132 on: October 12, 2010, 08:07:37 PM »
Beautiful Tony. Well grown.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

BULBISSIME

• USDA zone 8
    • My pictures gallery :
« Reply #133 on: October 12, 2010, 10:11:25 PM »
C. wattiorum is gorgeous Tony !
Fred
Vienne, France

( USDA zone 8 )
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/IrisOncocyclus

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #134 on: October 12, 2010, 11:41:17 PM »
thanks all it is a little gem
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal