We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus: October 2010  (Read 45354 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Crocus: October 2010
« Reply #195 on: October 19, 2010, 09:18:18 PM »
Very nice indeed Luc.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Gerry Webster

« Reply #196 on: October 20, 2010, 09:12:58 PM »
Crocus robertianus

From JJA seed (351.000); Greece, Ioanina, W of Metsovo to Ioanina, 600m, leafsoil at base of Quercus & Ostrya scrub,

10 seeds sown Dec 2006, 1 germinated Jan 2008. This the result  - first flowering. Although germination was very poor  flowering size was attained relatively quickly.

I don’t find C. robertianus particularly easy to grow so I hope I see this plant again.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Oron Peri

• Middle Eastern Correspondent for the Forum
  • Living in the Galilee Region, min. temp. 5c max 40
    • Seeds of Peace
« Reply #197 on: October 21, 2010, 07:51:17 PM »
Got back today from Crete, bulbs definitely are late to bloom this year due to a boiling summer.
The only Crocus i have seen was this nice colony of C. tournefortii with fine color,
they grow in full shade on and underneath a north facing wall.
Tivon, in the lower Galilee, north Israel.
200m.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #198 on: October 21, 2010, 08:35:39 PM »
Oron - those are very handsome specimens of C. tournefortii - perhaps the best I have ever seen. Many thanks for posting.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.

BULBISSIME

• USDA zone 8
    • My pictures gallery :
« Reply #199 on: October 21, 2010, 08:49:24 PM »
Superb pictures Oron... and we can see that you where in full shade  ;)
Fred
Vienne, France

( USDA zone 8 )
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/IrisOncocyclus

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #200 on: October 21, 2010, 08:59:28 PM »
Gerry,
your patience to wait so long for germination paid off! At last you got a single beautiful one! :D
This reminds me not to empty baskets containing seed showing 'no life' too early.

Oron,
a nice clump! A very attractive crocus species.
Best wishes
Armin

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #201 on: October 21, 2010, 09:11:38 PM »
Wonderful colony Oron -superb tournefortii !  :o
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #202 on: October 21, 2010, 09:12:59 PM »
A few crocus from Norwich before we take a half-term break.

Starting with Crocus tournefortii in the garden where it has survived years of neglect.  Nice to see your pictures from the wild Oron but you must have wished the summer had ended sooner :P

Crocus biflorus melantherus - nice large flowered form.  As has been commented on already the crocus are making good flowers, often large this year.

Crocus goulimyi - seedlings raised from true ssp leucanthus.  All appear hybrid with ssp goulimyi.  After early success in raising them from seed all the latest lot are shades of (often pale) blue.  Next year I will keep the ssp leucanthus apart from the ssp goulimyi in the hope of getting true bred seed.  Too late this year they are rooting through the pots into the sand already.  Crocus goulimyi make very strong, deep growing roots.  One seedling appears a mutant dwarf.  Don't know if it will repeat this next year (don't want it to either!), doubt it will.  

Miriam

• Artistically inclined agronomist
« Reply #203 on: October 21, 2010, 09:54:01 PM »
Very nice finding Oron!

It seems that we will have also a boiling winter here  ::)
Rehovot, Israel

Gerry Webster

« Reply #204 on: October 21, 2010, 10:15:58 PM »

Crocus goulimyi - seedlings raised from true ssp leucanthus.  All appear hybrid with ssp goulimyi.  After early success in raising them from seed all the latest lot are shades of (often pale) blue.  Next year I will keep the ssp leucanthus apart from the ssp goulimyi in the hope of getting true bred seed.  Too late this year they are rooting through the pots into the sand already.  Crocus goulimyi make very strong, deep growing roots.  One seedling appears a mutant dwarf.  Don't know if it will repeat this next year (don't want it to either!), doubt it will.  

Tony - I'm not convinced that ssp. leucanthus  actually exists - I suspect it is just a colour & geographical variant of C. goulimyi. I have seed raised plants, supposedly  from a Steve Keeble collection made at the type locality, which, apart from colour (pure white), are indistinguishable from the common form of C. goulimyi & from a bicolour form of C. goulimyi I received some years ago from Kath Dryden as ssp. leucanthus.  Even in his crocus revision in 'The Plantsman', BM does not give any good reason for regarding ssp. leucanthus as distinct  

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #205 on: October 21, 2010, 10:22:04 PM »
Those gloriously feathery styles of C. tournefortii are a joy at any  time but to see them looking so good in Oron's habitat pix is beyond delightful.

I LOVE crocus season!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #206 on: October 21, 2010, 11:24:36 PM »

Tony - I'm not convinced that ssp. leucanthus  actually exists - I suspect it is just a colour & geographical variant of C. goulimyi. I have seed raised plants, supposedly  from a Steve Keeble collection made at the type locality, which, apart from colour (pure white), are indistinguishable from the common form of C. goulimyi & from a bicolour form of C. goulimyi I received some years ago from Kath Dryden as ssp. leucanthus.  Even in his crocus revision in 'The Plantsman', BM does not give any good reason for regarding ssp. leucanthus as distinct  

Gerry I agree entirely .. just keep the names for conventions sake at present!  I would like to be able to raise more of the very pale forms that occur in the wild.  (I too have Steve Keeble seed raised plants)

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #207 on: October 21, 2010, 11:52:18 PM »
Crocus longiflorus is one of my favourites.  I has delicate lilac flowers, sometimes feathered darker on the reverse and down the tube.  The scent is one of the strongest for crocus, very sweet.  I have grown it successfully in the garden in the past and plan to release some of these seedlings in the future.  Two quite different forms here.

Crocus moabiticus is one of the rarest and very seldom grown.  I am unsure about the plants I have which are in flower now.  They have a good pedigree but are at leats 2nd generation in cultivation.  It is possible the plants I grow are hybrids with another in the sativus group, perhaps crocus Cartwrightianus.  They are very attractive, gradually expanding in size as they age.  When I showed pictures in a lecture recently I expressed my doubts about their status, a wag at the back shouted out "if they're still alive they're ot moabiticus"!  I'll leave it to the (other) experts to decide ;)

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #208 on: October 21, 2010, 11:58:58 PM »
Variation in Crocus pulchellus.  Starting with a very nice seedling, strongly lined and with wispy tipped petals rather like Crocus vallicola.  Then a couple of shots for comparison, the latter being a very large flowered seedling.
Crocus thomasii is quite variable, some plain coloured others quite veined.
Crocus boryi x tournefortii in this form (the one I gave Dirk a corm of a few years ago) is very close to Crocus boryi but increases well suggesting hybrid vigour.

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #209 on: October 22, 2010, 04:28:25 AM »
This is the best thread ever, so many exquisite autumn crocus to yearn for.

Gerry, the success of a singular pedigree Crocus robertianus is inspiring, and a lovely crocus it is.

Onon, I notice in the 2nd photo (and to some degree in the 4th photo) of C. tournefortii in Crete, the flower has fully erect styles instead of the usual hanging-out-sideways-bell-clapper arrangement; unique.

Tony, not only do you show choice Crocus, but ones that are artistically photographed, really enjoy such Croci-candy.  I'm also intrigued by the prospect of interspecific hybrids, so many possibilities can be imagined in an active hybridization program.  Are the hybrids you show naturally occurring hybrid seedlings, or are you making such crosses specifically?  The C. tournefortii x boryi plants look most desirable, although I'm not so sure about the goulimyi mini-me!
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal