We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus: October 2010  (Read 45352 times)

udo

• Dirk Schnabel
Re: Crocus: October 2010
« Reply #225 on: October 24, 2010, 07:21:08 PM »
Janis, your Crocus 'Purple Heart' is a fine plant.
Here some pics from today:
Cr.nerimaniae
    cancellatus ssp.mazziaricus and the white form from this ssp.
    caspius, i think, this is the species with the longest flowering time,
                5-6 weeks and to 8 flowers from one large bulb is possibly
    cartwrightianus 'Albus', a native form
    medius Bignone, large flowers, set seeds, but seldom divide
    medius Millesimo, later and smaller flowers, not seed, good divide
    veneris
    and Cr.longiflorus from Nebrodi Range, Sicily
Lichtenstein/Sachsen, Germany
www.steingartenverein.de

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #226 on: October 24, 2010, 07:52:00 PM »
Cr.nerimaniae
    cancellatus ssp.mazziaricus and the white form from this ssp.
    caspius, i think, this is the species with the longest flowering time,
                5-6 weeks and to 8 flowers from one large bulb is possibly
    cartwrightianus 'Albus', a native form
    medius Bignone, large flowers, set seeds, but seldom divide
    medius Millesimo, later and smaller flowers, not seed, good divide
    veneris
    and Cr.longiflorus from Nebrodi Range, Sicily

My Crocus nerimaniae still is in buds. I collected it twice - at first in early summer by dry leaves and following autumn all blooming plants turned virus infected and I destroyed them. From the rest 5 plants made flowerbuds this autumn and 3 looked virus infected, 2 looks perfect. Today I dug out hose three. Another collection I made last autumn during flowering, when I noted that most of specimens in this population are virus infected in nature. Unfortunately it seems that C. nerimaniae belongs to species which don't like replanting at flowering time, as very few made leaves this spring. Seems that no one formed corm of flowering size as no one bud are formed in this stock.
Viruses are great problem. This autumn I picked out several pots with Crocus serotinus, goulimyi Mani White, pulchellus albus and few others marked as "V" (virus). There are no other way than to destroy stock as soon as possible.
I have Crocus caspius from several sources, one of stocks is nicely purest white, others with bluish flowers. I agree, that it is one of the best and longest blooming species - single fault - leaves soon overtops flowers, but beauty of this species well compensates this minus.
All my stock of 'Millesimo' turned virus infected and I destroyed it completely. Plants from mnt. Bignone nicely blooms and well set seeds. My stock is very small, so I can't judge at present how fast it is in splitting.
My C. veneris at present has only leaves, approximately half as long as yours, so I hope to flowering later.
My Crocus longiflorus from Nebrody in Sicily looks similar to yours, I showed pictures earlier. Now pots are covered with flower buds.
Next week is promissed more sunny than last days, so I hope to some more pictures because a lot of plants pushed out flower buds but lacking of temperature and light keeps flowers closed.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Gerry Webster

« Reply #227 on: October 24, 2010, 08:00:40 PM »
As last I'm showing picture of Crocus which is supposed to be hybrid between hadriaticus and cartwrightianus and named by it's breeder as PURPLE HEART. It was offered by Paul Christian as Dutch selection from Crocus niveus seedlings, but it is not true. Really it was selected by Antoine Hoog, who wrote me, that this marvellous plant appeared between his seedlings of Crocus hadriaticus, original stock of which he got from Holland under wrong name as niveus, but really it turned to be hadriaticus. As seeds were collected from open pollinated plants, pollen parent actually isn't known, but seem to be cartwrightianus.
Hope next week will be more sunny.
Janis
'Purple Heart' is a very attractive, if unnatural, hybrid. I see that Paul Christian now lists it as a form of C. hadriaticus . However,  the price is ridiculous,  especially given the fact that most saffron crocus increase quite fast. At least the plant was not ripped up from the wild.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 08:02:31 PM by Gerry Webster »
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Boyed

• Vintage Tulips
« Reply #228 on: October 24, 2010, 08:17:32 PM »
Viruses are great problem. This autumn I picked out several pots with Crocus serotinus, goulimyi Mani White, pulchellus albus and few others marked as "V" (virus). There are no other way than to destroy stock as soon as possible.
I have Crocus caspius from several sources, one of stocks is nicely purest white, others with bluish flowers. I agree, that it is one of the best and longest blooming species - single fault - leaves soon overtops flowers, but beauty of this species well compensates this minus.
All my stock of 'Millesimo' turned virus infected and I destroyed it completely. Plants from mnt. Bignone nicely blooms and well set seeds. My stock is very small, so I can't judge at present how fast it is in splitting.
Janis

Janis, when I read in old Soviet literature that the smallest offsets from infected tulip bulbs, as a rule, are not succeptible to virus. I started my experiments testing this method. It proved to be effective, but not for the all tulip varieties. After that I started to test it with crocus. According to my tests, again, it is effective, but not for all species. I remember 5 years ago I received very nice crocus niveus pale lilac form, which turned out to be totally virused. As usual, I distroy and trash all infected corms, but this form of niveus was so nice that I decided to recover my stock by this method. I selected around 7 smallest corm-bills from its large bulbs and placed them in quarantine area. The following year 4 out of 7 didn't show the symptoms of leaf mosaic. I was pleased with the results, but decided to test them for two more years and put the plants under the stress as well to make sure that they are really healthy. But I didn't see any symtoms of virus on those specimens later. Now I proudly grow this nice crocus niveus from virus free.

I think this method is worth testing from your side as well, especially for very rare species, which are virus infected and there is no other source to get helthy stock of them.
Zhirair, Tulip collector, bulb enthusiast
Vanadzor, ARMENIA

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #229 on: October 24, 2010, 08:30:40 PM »
Janis

Janis, when I read in old Soviet literature that the smallest offsets from infected tulip bulbs, as a rule, are not succeptible to virus. I started my experiments testing this method. It proved to be effective, but not for the all tulip varieties. After that I started to test it with crocus. According to my tests, again, it is effective, but not for all species. I remember 5 years ago I received very nice crocus niveus pale lilac form, which turned out to be totally virused. As usual, I distroy and trash all infected corms, but this form of niveus was so nice that I decided to recover my stock by this method. I selected around 7 smallest corm-bills from its large bulbs and placed them in quarantine area. The following year 4 out of 7 didn't show the symptoms of leaf mosaic. I was pleased with the results, but decided to test them for two more years and put the plants under the stress as well to make sure that they are really healthy. But I didn't see any symtoms of virus on those specimens later. Now I proudly grow this nice crocus niveus from virus free.

I think this method is worth testing from your side as well, especially for very rare species, which are virus infected and there is no other source to get helthy stock of them.

Really I don't think that it will help, but... may be...
Problem is that not every species makes small ofsets. Nerimaniae rarely split, although my experience is too short with it. The best in any case is propogation by seeds as seedlings usually are healthy.
Janis

Graeme Strachan

« Reply #230 on: October 24, 2010, 10:44:08 PM »
Some crocus from the weekend

Graeme Strachan
Graeme Strachan in Aberdeen, North East of Scotland

Graeme Strachan

« Reply #231 on: October 25, 2010, 08:50:31 PM »
And some more from today.

Graeme Strachan

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #232 on: October 25, 2010, 08:58:46 PM »
Nice series Graeme !  Your Crocus seem quite a bit later than mine - they're almost over out here !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Gerry Webster

« Reply #233 on: October 25, 2010, 09:00:39 PM »
Sorry Graham, but your C. medius looks as though it may be virused - most stocks of this sp. are. Especially the flower on the left of the picture.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Graeme Strachan

« Reply #234 on: October 25, 2010, 09:21:49 PM »
Luc,
       I think I am about half way through my flowering season. I have a large trough of kotschyanus that have yet to show their noses yet.

Gerry,
         Sadly it looks as if you are right. I will have a closer inspection tomorrow.

regards

Graeme Strachan

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #235 on: October 25, 2010, 10:08:36 PM »
Dirk,
it is always a delight to see parts of your crocus collection. Like the potful C. caspius and C. longiflorus.
C. medius from Bignone is a fine clone, too.

Graeme,
nice autuum crocus. Like the C. cancellatus ssp. cancellatus. Mine in the garden don't flower this year - suppose didn't like the German wet summer and I'm afraid corms are rotted for the time being. But I don't want to lift the basket now in the hope still some leaves will appear - hope dies last. :-\

One of the easy garden autuum crocus spreading well are C. speciosus and C. pulchellus 'Zephyr'. A nice hybrid seedling flowering in my meadow.

Best wishes
Armin

I.S.

• http://crocusmania.blogspot.com/search/label/Crocus
« Reply #236 on: October 26, 2010, 04:34:58 PM »
  Graeme, your cancellatus should be subsp. mazziaricus to me!

Armin, you are not the alone! I also have same problems with wet conditions crocuses (C. scharojanii, C. vallicola, C. kotschyanus suworowianus ex..) and I have no chance to build green refrigerating :(
  Your hybrid looks very nice!.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 04:36:48 PM by ibrahim »

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #237 on: October 26, 2010, 06:40:58 PM »
After long break today we had nice sun in most part of day, with few showers in middle, but greenhouse crocuses marvellously showed their beauty. I made several hundreds of shots and now after some break can show you new pictures.
I will start with Crocus nerimaniae. As I wrote earlier - from 5 plants 3 turned virus infected but two fortunately seem to be healthy - both quite different.
Next is Crocus wattiorum although close and something similar to nerimaniae both are very easy separable as you can judge from attached picture.
Crocus aleppicus comes from Israel. This specimen has striped back of petals.
And last two pictures illustrates - never say never. Shortly ago I wrote that Crocus sativus is growing but never blooms with me. I don't know - hot summer or my words induced this plant to blooming, but here is its flower. From 5 corms collected in Iran, 3 alive and one for the first time in my crocus history made flower.
Janis

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #238 on: October 26, 2010, 06:56:15 PM »
The first of Crocus banaticus and the single one growable here in open garden is 'First Snow'. Now it is at end of blooming.
Another white Crocus banaticus was selected by Kath Dryden and later named as 'Snowdrift'. It is much later - you can see its pot today and the first open flower.
Following pictures are from Crocus cancellatus - at first subsp. lycius and after that different color forms of subsp. mazziaricus.
Janis

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #239 on: October 26, 2010, 07:06:30 PM »
In this entry only one species - Crocus cartwrightianus, but you can judge how variable it can be.
Janis

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal