We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: American Holiday 2007  (Read 26492 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: American Holiday 2007
« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2007, 04:49:00 AM »
A fabulous holiday for us all Cliff. You'll need another one to recover from all this posting ;D

The "common in Utah but what is it," reminds me of what my Ma used to grow as Bells of Ireland but for the life of me I can't remember the botanical name. I think it was an annual and I haven't seen it for years.

Convict Lake is lovely but what have they done with them all? Drowned them? and I thought trees were supposed to take up CO2 to their benefit, the purpose behind forest planting to help with carbon emissions. Is this not right?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2007, 04:52:13 AM »
Got it! well, Google got it for me, Molucella laevis, Bells of Ireland
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2007, 06:21:55 AM »
Many thanks Lesley and David.....I too knew 'that I knew it' (if you get the gist), but couldn't get as far as coming up with Bells of Ireland....good old Google!

I believe the convicts are all running businesses in Vegas Lesley....that croupier certainly took a dollar or two from Sue's usually well-protected purse.... :D :D.

Where is the wonderful John Good when we need a scientific problem explaining....are you out there Prof.?

I agree about those infernal quad bikes David, they seemed to be everywhere.....but the desert areas ARE enormous.....too large to comprehend until you set off across them....

A few images from the first memory card now (talk about organised chaos)....some shots taken from the plane as we crossed the States on the way to Vegas from Manchester.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 06:24:00 AM by ranunculus »
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2007, 10:26:20 AM »
You know, I didn't think this thread could get any better and then Cliff comes up with these shots of Convict Lake....just beautiful, these photos are so clear and atmospheric.

These airplane shots are fascinating... as well as being some of the best I have seen taken from a commercial airliner. I didn't realise that the Americans were trying so hard to decorate their whole country as a giant Stars and Stripes! They are getting pretty good at the stripes, but the stars are still in the circular stage, it seems ! ::)

Cliff, I am delighted to see that you are an afficionado of Le Tour and so aware of the fabled career of Harry Trichium-na-num ....while away on your travels you must have missed the announcement of his retiral, on account of frostbite, to his family's mountain retreat.
So, the door is open for you, after all!
22821-0

Here you are, and there's a little one for Sue, too!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2007, 10:58:30 AM »
Many thanks Maggi, the jersey fits a treat (though Sue has had to pass hers on to our 10 month old grandson Ollie, perhaps a tad TOO small, eh)?   :)

Can anyone explain (seriously or otherwise...well it is Scottish Rock) why, in the image entitled 'Flying across America 7', the ground is a) covered with these strange circles and b) why one of them resembles a clock?
Are we to interpret that these might be messages to the UFO's that are rumoured to frequent these parts?

And Maggi....'frostbite to his family's mountain retreat' can be exceptionally painful as can gout in the condominium!

Why waste a posting opportunity.....some more random images including some from Death Valley...
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 11:01:18 AM by ranunculus »
Cliff Booker

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2007, 11:14:11 AM »
Trust the Americans to come take the 'crop circles' to a new level (see above pic from aeroplane). ::)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2007, 12:21:12 PM »
cliff,
Really enjoying your pictures. I have been most of the places , but over the last 4 years, not all in one go!
I have added a pic from Bryce canyon you missed out especially for maggie, its not a Westie unfortunaly, but a poodle I would think.
As for the crop circles - you know how big the american pies are.
The blank bits are obviously where Maggie and Lesly have been  ;D
The crop circles are large irrigated fields, the watering system gradually walks round in a circle. You can see how much land there is out there if they can waste all the corners! I doubt it broke down one day making the eaten piece of the pie.
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2007, 01:19:05 PM »
Thanks Susan....missed the pooch in Bryce, perhaps he was being groomed?
Cliff Booker

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #83 on: July 08, 2007, 07:43:04 PM »
I think Susan's pooch from Bryce is an American cocker spaniel... they've got very fancy hairdos ....
22855-0

On behalf of Lesley and myself, I'd like to point out that  we are professionals and never leave anything half-eaten! Mind you, I've never experienced real American pies..... have you, Lesley?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

alpines

• Alan's the one with the beard
    • The Alpine Garden
« Reply #84 on: July 08, 2007, 11:43:53 PM »
If there's one thing that could drag us away from painting and decorating in this heat wave, it's photos from the maestro.
As always Mr. Buttercup, we are in awe of your talent (except for singing of course) to not only take such incredible photos, but to 'find' the shots as well.
We were of course disappointed that you chose Bryce Canyon over Berea but there's no accounting for taste!!!
You really MUST get on the NARGS invitation list, especially the Ohio Valley Chapter (send Steve a DVD of your trip) and maybe we'll get to 'put you up' for a couple of nights and show you the Eastern Bluebirds.
Love and Yorkshire Puddings
Alan & Sherba
Alan & Sherba Grainger
in beautiful Berea, Kentucky, USA. Zone 6
www.thealpinegarden.com
www.KentuckyFlora.com

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #85 on: July 09, 2007, 12:10:20 AM »
Well I've tried a few Maggi, pumpkin, pecan and banoffee which were made by an elderly American lady who lives nearby. All very good but I find I need large quantities of strong black coffee to follow as they're all very sweet. Being that way myself, I don't need so much sugar of course.

The black circles look, says Roger, like a tray of biscuits just taken from my oven, and burned to their usual cinders. This is utter rubbish and the tray shows that he's already filched several which he wouldn't have, if they'd been inedible.

If they seemed to be above the ground I'd suggest an oil storage depot but they seem to be flush.

Alan and Sherba, great that you're here with us. The first of many posts I hope. Welcome, welcome.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #86 on: July 09, 2007, 12:21:25 AM »
I see it is a Scot that has the spotty jersey tonight.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #87 on: July 09, 2007, 11:28:42 AM »
Thank you kindly you Kentucky folk...now get back to the decorating and make a start on those guest quarters....

Several more images to brighten somebody's Monday (hopefully)?

Cliff Booker

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #88 on: July 09, 2007, 11:34:37 AM »
Sorry, I forgot to mention that these images were all taken around Lake Arrowhead and Big Bear Lake...

Cliff Booker

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #89 on: July 09, 2007, 11:36:30 AM »
.....Apart from the Cambria shots which were taken in ...... Cambria (Doh!!!!) on the Pacific coast.
Cliff Booker

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal