We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: NZ field trips - October 2010  (Read 4105 times)

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
Re: NZ field trips - October 2010
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2010, 10:24:05 AM »
Hi Gerd,

The hens were point of lay pullets for our domestic egg production. We purchased them from a poultry farm that has a reputation for supplying good birds.They have settled in happily and are laying well. The last lot we purchased ( from a different supplier) appeared to be culled birds from a commercial operation.

I am including a violet picture - Melicytus alpinus: the flowers have developed a bit far to see the detail.
David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2010, 10:09:58 AM »
David, Thanks for the clarification and for the ' violet ' pic. Due to my fixation on plants I suggested something like 'hens and chicken'  ???.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Robin Callens

• Green Mile Nursery
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2010, 10:54:27 AM »
Clint left for home today, gonna miss having another keen plant hunter around home.
A few shots of the areas (and plants) he visited during the last few weeks. (I hope it isn't too long before your next visit mate, the Celmisia's and I will be waiting!)

I am only a few days home after having the time of my life in NZ and I already would like to start packing again and fly back to this amazing country... I have seen some beautifull plants and places on this planet such as Nepal and Alaska but nothing beats the allmost surreal beauty of NZ where treasures as Celmisias, Ranunculus, Carmichaelias and many other alpines grow abundantly. Everyone who calls himself a true 'rockgarden plantlover' must go at least once to this paradise. And hopefully we will see some more NZ alpine plants growing in Europe in the future, I know I will give it a try.

I would like to thank all the very nice people in NZ who helped me during my travelling and especially Doug Logan (and of course his family) for letting me stay at his home and for showing me around in the mountains. THX!!!

Clint Callens   
Robin Callens, Waregem, Belgium, zone 8

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2010, 12:07:26 PM »
...... and, I think I read, they are looking for a New Zealand girl for you Clint ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

kiwi

• Go the All Blacks!!!
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2010, 09:47:22 PM »
Anytime Clint, we've always got a spare bed here for you bud. ;)
Doug Logan, Canterbury NZ.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal