We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Happy travellers and a puzzle, too!  (Read 12460 times)

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
Re: Happy travellers and a puzzle, too!
« Reply #105 on: November 07, 2010, 09:17:14 PM »
Many visitors pass by here like these Vespa drivers.

Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #106 on: November 07, 2010, 09:19:56 PM »
From Slapton Memorial we went on to Kingsbridge and time for some coffee!
We from the Low Lands are every time again surprised to see boats lying on the sand in a river when the tide is low.
some more pictures:
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #107 on: November 07, 2010, 09:21:36 PM »
I read somewhere on the forum about an interesting coastal place called Noss Mayo (which is also the name of a Narcissus hybrid) so we made a short stop there too.
The parking places are flooded every day so better not stay there too long ::) ::) ::)

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #108 on: November 07, 2010, 09:26:07 PM »
For later this afternoon we were invited to a special Devon Cream Tea at the home of our famous Forumnist, alias “Hawkeye” and his lovely wife Maureen.
DCT is really something  delicious  :D, but it's rather heavy stuff for person's who have to look after their weights cholesterin  ;)
Of course we walked through the garden to admire some nice specimen and the various glasshouses. Alas not many flowers at this time of year, but given the mass of seedling plants there will be enough to see in the near future.

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #109 on: November 09, 2010, 06:52:42 PM »
Next morning we drove further Eastwards but just before we left Devon we made a visit to this House and gardens

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #110 on: November 09, 2010, 08:03:41 PM »
For later this afternoon we were invited to a special Devon Cream Tea at the home of our famous Forumnist, alias “Hawkeye” and his lovely wife Maureen.
DCT is really something  delicious  :D, but it's rather heavy stuff for person's who have to look after their weights cholesterin  ;)
Of course we walked through the garden to admire some nice specimen and the various glasshouses. Alas not many flowers at this time of year, but given the mass of seedling plants there will be enough to see in the near future.

Seems to be a somewhat handsome chap, you don't look too bad either Luit ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #111 on: November 09, 2010, 08:04:40 PM »
Next morning we drove further Eastwards but just before we left Devon we made a visit to this House and gardens

Now, that's got me guessing. I think I might know but I'll keep quiet for the moment.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #112 on: November 09, 2010, 11:31:50 PM »
It's not Powderham Castle is it?
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #113 on: November 10, 2010, 10:15:12 PM »

Seems to be a somewhat handsome chap, you don't look too bad either Luit ;D
I must tell her  :D :D

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #114 on: November 10, 2010, 10:20:23 PM »
It's not Powderham Castle is it?
Brian, this house was not on our list and I think there are not many plants to see there??

I am not sure wether this House and Gardens are still in Devon or in Dorset, but I also found that it's in Somerset???   
Forde Abbey near Chard is definitely a garden not to be missed when being in the area. In the nursery are some interesting plants
in good quality for sale.
Here are some pictures                     

Forde Abbey   3x                   
Hornets  (I found it rather tricky to go close for a picture ::)                             
Climbing Aconitum                         
Salvia dombeyi   Mrs. Roper told me that her brother had brought the seeds from Peru.
Forde Abbey   4x                           

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #115 on: November 10, 2010, 10:21:51 PM »
Ah, that explains it Luit, Forde Abbey has been recommended to us, but we still have not managed to get there.  It certainly looks worth a visit.

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #116 on: November 10, 2010, 10:23:24 PM »
When traveling, the unexpected things always make the difference. While walking through the
walled kitchen garden we met a charming old lady who was picking apples.
As things happen sometimes, we chatted a bit and were told that she managed the whole big
kitchen garden, which was at least an acre, on her own. She gave us a few apples and as we said that
it was a pity the house was not open that day, she invited Vroni for a private view in the house :D :D  8)

Kitchen Garden 1   
Kitchen Garden 2                   
Hibiscus trionum

Kitchen Garden Mrs. Roper             
Kitchen Garden chat                   

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #117 on: November 10, 2010, 10:25:24 PM »
Ah, that explains it Luit, Forde Abbey has been recommended to us, but we still have not managed to get there.  It certainly looks worth a visit.
Brian, and if you do so give Mrs. Roper our regards ( The Dutchman with his happy wife) ;D :D

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #118 on: November 11, 2010, 09:37:23 AM »
Certainly will Luit, if I show David the picture of the Kitchen Garden he will definitely want to go!

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #119 on: November 12, 2010, 06:32:18 PM »
Not far away from the town with this fine Cathedral is the next garden we visited?

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal