We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus: November 2010  (Read 33857 times)

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
Re: Crocus: November 2010
« Reply #150 on: November 27, 2010, 09:18:18 PM »
Some Crocus which flowered today ...

Hans when I see how beautifully these grow in your garden I feel sorry for the poor things I have in pots under glass  :P ;D

Exactly my feelings Ashley !  ;D ;D

Gorgeous plants Hans !  :o :o
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #151 on: November 28, 2010, 01:56:59 PM »
Yesterday, when I checked status in my Crocus greenhouse, soil surface in pots below stone chips started to harden. At 8 o'clock in evening outside temperature dropped to minus 13 C and sky was full with bright stars. I really started to worry - what will happen with my treasures and called a friend for help in Sunday. Fortunately sometime during night some clouds appeared and dropping of temperature was not so dramatic as suspected and in morning it was only minus 8 C. But weather broadcast for all next week offers only minus 10-13 C.
So my first job this morning was plucking of crocus flowers and buds. I tried to count them but after 500 I stopped - it still was only near half of total. And then we covered all pots in greenhouses with light artificial "snow" - 5 cm thick glasswool sheets. Tomorrow must visit local shop to buy more glasswool. Still left uncovered ~ 200 sq.m. of boxes with plantings.
So attached here are my last pictures from this season and new ones will come not earlier than around start of March next year, when covering I will took off.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #152 on: November 28, 2010, 09:11:05 PM »
Some Crocus which flowered today - C. mathewii 'Dream Dancer' is flowering much later than the other forms (and is compared with Anthonys very pale), C. laevigatus 'dark form' and C. hyemalis are very floriferous this year.

Hans,
lovely crocus images.
Your 'Dream Dancer' is unusual...whitish anthers, very long styles, flowering late and with long leaves...
Maybe it has inherited some C. cartwrightianus genes? ;D 
Best wishes
Armin

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #153 on: November 28, 2010, 09:37:56 PM »
Janis,
bad luck! It is a pity the blossom out had to finish abruptly by the harsh weather conditions.
It hurts to read you had to pluck so many flowers and buds. :'(
But I hope you can savely preserve all your treasuries over the winter!
Best wishes
Armin

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #154 on: November 28, 2010, 11:48:36 PM »
Janis do your Crocus stay under the glass wool all winter?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #155 on: November 29, 2010, 06:33:13 AM »
Janis do your Crocus stay under the glass wool all winter?
Yes, they will stay under cover up to end of February, first days of March - depends from weather.
I'm usually waiting couple days with frost below minus 10 C for soil in pots freeze a little. Then during warm days pots still stay frosen as glasswool protects them both ways - from extreme frost and from high temperatures in our usually very unstable winters. Yesterday I thought that may be I covered my plantings a little too early, but this morning, when temperature outside dropped till minus 19 C, I'm very happy that I did it yesterday,
Three years ago temperature suddenly at Friday's evening dropped till minus 20 C for several days but I had flu just on those days, so I got helpers only on Monday's morning. Pots with bulbs in greenhouse (unheated poly-tunnel) stood exposed for 3 nights. As result I lost all my stocks of Crocus caspius. Seriously suffered, but I didn't loss wattiorum, boryi, melantherus and few other Crocuses, lost Ornithogalum cretense and some other bulbs.
Janis
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 06:36:35 AM by Janis Ruksans »

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #156 on: November 29, 2010, 11:26:21 PM »
Some Crocus which flowered today - C. mathewii 'Dream Dancer' is flowering much later than the other forms (and is compared with Anthonys very pale), C. laevigatus 'dark form' and C. hyemalis are very floriferous this year.

Hans,
lovely crocus images.
Your 'Dream Dancer' is unusual...whitish anthers, very long styles, flowering late and with long leaves...
Maybe it has inherited some C. cartwrightianus genes? ;D 

Thanks Armin, you comment something I suspected. This 'Dream Dancer' was strange from the beginning - a large corm, but only leaves, so I thought it would not flower - but now it is even more strange. Whatever it is, it is not awful - but for sure not as beautyful as the a pure mathewii. ::)
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #157 on: November 30, 2010, 05:45:00 AM »
Seems that my Dream Dancer is the same - it made only leaves regardless of large corm and only at very end showed some bud but cold arrived before flower came out. As the supplier is PCh I'm not wondering that different customers got different plants.
Janis

I.S.

• http://crocusmania.blogspot.com/search/label/Crocus
« Reply #158 on: December 03, 2010, 07:42:48 PM »
  While most of you already have been closed autumn season.
  Here is one of my spring bloomer crosus but for my climate it is like autumn bloomer!
  Crocus reticulatus subsp hittiticus

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #159 on: December 03, 2010, 08:01:29 PM »
Ibrahim,
very beautiful - with impressive 'leather like' anthers.
Where is the pollen? And which insects could potential pollinate them in late autuum in their natural environment?
Best wishes
Armin

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #160 on: December 04, 2010, 10:22:39 AM »
A wonderful species Ibrahim !   :o :o
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

I.S.

• http://crocusmania.blogspot.com/search/label/Crocus
« Reply #161 on: December 04, 2010, 11:20:11 AM »
Ibrahim,
very beautiful - with impressive 'leather like' anthers.
Where is the pollen? And which insects could potential pollinate them in late autuum in their natural environment?

Armin, here it is still 22 c. so there are planty of insects around but I thing no need pollinaters! like this species with short style and long anthers.  I also can't see pollen it might be because of a young flower!
  We are also waiting cold weather, after this sunday!.  Temperature will go down 10 c.! I hope not to see snow like you there!
  This picture taken in my gaden but in wild (Centr Taurus) they flower in february. It is interesting but some of my spring plants they flower now!

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #162 on: December 05, 2010, 11:47:42 AM »
I didn't know were to post this  if maggie wants to move it she can,
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crocuses-Complete-Guide-Janis-Ruksans/dp/1604691069/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1291549166&sr=1-2     ,what a fantastic price BARGAIN!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 02:37:55 PM by Maggi Young »
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #163 on: December 05, 2010, 01:19:02 PM »
I didn't know were to post this  if maggie wants to move it she can,http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crocuses-Complete-Guide-Janis-Ruksans/dp/1604691069/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1291549166&sr=1-2 ,what a fantastic price BARGIN

I have just ordered it,something to look forward to at the end of January
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #164 on: December 05, 2010, 01:46:42 PM »
same here Tony roll on the 25th ;D
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal