We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus: November 2010  (Read 33817 times)

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
Re: Crocus: November 2010
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2010, 08:12:03 PM »
Kees very nice pictures,the last one is a sight I would love to see
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2010, 08:40:53 PM »
Wonderful images Kees Jan !
By the way, your website is utterly fantastic !!  :o :o
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2010, 09:42:34 PM »
Wonderful images Kees Jan !
By the way, your website is utterly fantastic !!  :o :o

How right you are Luc! :o

Here some pics of a few Crocus - a relative new addiction thanks to this forum and especially Hubi. ::) ;)
A blue form of Crocus cambessedesii, C.laevigatus, two forms of C. mathewii (second from a very genorous forumist!), C. sativus and C.speciosus. As C. sativus is known as triploid clone I am surprised about the variation in colour, C. speciosus is nothing special for most growers in the north but here it survives hot and dry conditions during summer without any problem.
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2010, 10:03:01 PM »
Here is C. pulchellus in the wild on Uludag, following a recent visit to W. Turkey. C. pulchellus is a woodland plant, so the meadow pictures are exceptions to the rule. The butterfly is supposed to be Polygonia c-album (strange name isn't it!). I've uploaded pics of 3 autumn visits to Turkey on my site now.
KJ
Great to see such abundance in the wild.  As others have already said - your website is a feast for the eyes.  Thanks.

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2010, 03:43:22 AM »
Tony, thank you and how nice you see C. mathewii in wild! I’m looking forward to showing us your photos of the trip ;)

KJ, thanks for sharing with us your nice wild C. pulchelus pictures!

Hans, your blue form of Crocus cambessedesii is a real beauty and paler C. sativus is very unusual. And that's good news for me C. speciosus can survive summer at your place. I thought my place is too hot for speciosus to live long but I will try them.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 03:48:24 AM by YT »
Tatsuo Y
By the Pacific coast, central part of main island, Japan

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2010, 03:46:12 AM »
YT what is that stunning yellow and brown flower on the first page of your log?

Mark, that is Hesperantha vaginata, a spring flowering South African small bulb. Sorry I don’t have any surplus seeds now. Perhaps you can find bulbs on net shops but I suppose you should get seeds better, because you’ll be able to enjoy a range of different yellow/black patterns on flowers and pick up favourite one. It takes 2 or 3 years from seed to flower at my place. The new harvested seeds will be available at Silverhill in coming December or January.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 03:58:11 AM by YT »
Tatsuo Y
By the Pacific coast, central part of main island, Japan

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2010, 07:55:51 AM »
Kees - welcome back and many thanks for your great (as always) photos from the wild. Just had a look at your website - congratulations for this great work!!

YT - welcome to the world of croconuts. Great to have the first crocusgrower from Japan with us. Did you ever try crocus in the open garden? In your climate it should be no problem I guess. Most of them will feel like in their native habitat around the Mediterranean Sea.

Hans - What has happened to you? I remember you telling me, that you don't like to grow crocus  ;D The dark blue cambessedesi looks really great! But I've never heard of a white sativus - please separate it and observe if this feature is still present next year.
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2010, 09:01:02 AM »
Tatsuo,
thank you for telling us more. Your web pages show many interesting plants :o :D
I can only comply with Thomas to motivate you to try to grow crocus in the open garden.
Your climate seem to suit to much more species compared to my wet conditions in my garden.

Tony W,
did you already doctor your croci?
I found out rape oil as a very good and harmless method to minimize infestation i.e. on my rose bushes.

Kees,
it is a great pleasure to see pictures from the wild habitat. 8) Your web pages are great too! 8)

Hans,
it is a pleasure you joined the croconuts ;D
Best wishes
Armin

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2010, 10:52:30 AM »
Armin....please tell us, how do you use the rape oil ?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2010, 01:40:27 PM »
Hi Maggi,

I mix 100 ml rape oil (from discounter, < 1,-Euro/ltr) with ~6 Ltr water. In order to get an emulsion I add a few drops of liquid soap concentrate (<1,-Euro a bottle from discounter) and shake it well. Then I immediately spray my roses from all sides.
Causion: do not spray when it gets/is hot and sunshine as the oilfilm can burn the leaves!
The best is to my opinion to spray in the late afternoon.

Above mixture helped 100% against heavy mites infestation on my roses (sprayed every week, 3x times ttl) and also against aphids. The emulsion (oil) encapsules the parasites and they die. It also suppress the growth of downey mildew (in an early stage of infestation) on young shoots.

The challenge is to keep the oil in an emulsion for good surface distribution and I still try to optimize the recipe. If you add to much soap it harms the leaves...
Therefore I'm thinking of to use i.e. lecithin (=natural tensid, (in egg yolk)) (from drog store or pharmacia) instead of the soap next season...
I will make a trial next season to use it proactively biweekly.

In case of crocus I can imagine a good result in case they are in leaf status. I would not spray when they are in blossom.
Best wishes
Armin

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2010, 01:53:02 PM »
Thank you Armin. This is most interesting.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2010, 02:04:55 PM »
Lecithin - I use this to keep my cholesterol down
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2010, 02:21:32 PM »
Armin

yes I have treated them with a systemic insecticide. As most of the pests are under the top dressing a contact one is not effective.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Darren

« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2010, 03:15:26 PM »
Mark & YT,

I donated seed of Hesperantha vaginata to the SRGC exchange this year so watch out for your seed list! 

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Pascal B

« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2010, 03:37:17 PM »
Dutch commercial nurseries usually use a combination of mineral oil and systematic insecticides (based on synthetic pyrethroids) because, eventhough the aphids might die after sucking up the sap with the insecticide, possible viruses might already have been transmitted, the mineral oil makes the plant less attractive to aphids so it prevents them from even start sucking.

A virus takes only 24 hours to spread in the entire body of an aphid and once on the mouth parts there is no stopping the virus if the aphid makes a hole in the plant and comes into contact with the plantsap.

A combination of the 2 therefore is the most effective method. It depends on how precious the plants are because it is quite labor intensive. Although most systematic insecticides only need to be applied a couple of times during the season, mineral oil needs more frequent application. It also depends on the insectide, the emulsion concentrates get in the wax layer of the plant and are less likely to be washed away, the ones applied through waterings generally only need 2-3 applications during the season.

One of the latest insecticides is Sumicidin, an insectide that also has a small repellent effect but I am not sure if it is available for gardeners in the various countries.

The sprays from the garden centres based on fatty accids as an alternative to mineral oil also work quite well, they just smell of an old sock... ;)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal