We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus: November 2010  (Read 33816 times)

Melvyn Jope

Re: Crocus: November 2010
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2010, 05:11:31 PM »
Crocus boryii in flower in Corfu last week. It is all over the island, in some places in considerable numbers, I think it is the only Crocus species to be found on the island.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2010, 06:13:48 PM »
How lovely,  Melvyn.... a sight to make me smile, thanks.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2010, 09:04:11 PM »
Pascal,
thank you for the details of virus growths/spreading and commercial growers treatment. No objections from my side.

As a matter of fact it is impossible to grow modern rose hybrids without proactive treatment with fungicides and systematic insecticides.
Bof June with the first very hot summer days I realized the start of infestation with mites. I immediately sprayed 3 times a systemic insecticide without any success! :o
The mites got resistent against the agent Dimethoat I used over the last 15 years I grow roses... (I didn't notice that the substance is since this year no longer recommended against mites, too. >:()

After leaves got already brownish with visible mite web, the use of rape oil was the genius thought to end the tragedy.
The successful treatment of mites needs to be repeated 2-3times to kill all the new hatched mites from surviving eggs...
Last time I applied it again in September when I noticed aphids and downey mildew.
The advantage of rape oil over mineral oil it is ecologially harmless and cheap.
It works excellent!

Tony,
good to know you have everything under control ;) :D

Mark,
does Lecithine in high dose help?

Melvyn,
very lovely C. boryii from the wild.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 09:06:43 PM by Armin »
Best wishes
Armin

Gerry Webster

« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2010, 10:00:29 PM »
Crocus boryii in flower in Corfu last week. It is all over the island, in some places in considerable numbers, I think it is the only Crocus species to be found on the island.
Beautiful Melvyn. How satisfying to be in the right place at the right time!
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2010, 02:03:13 AM »
YT - welcome to the world of croconuts. Great to have the first crocusgrower from Japan with us. Did you ever try crocus in the open garden? In your climate it should be no problem I guess. Most of them will feel like in their native habitat around the Mediterranean Sea.

Hi Thomas, Thank you for your welcome :) :) :) Yes, I’ve already tried growing nudiflorus, longiflorus and niveus with some other dwarf bulbs and perennials in my garden about 5 years ago. We have very wet rainy season during June and July (the monsoon) in Japan so I made a mound with well drained blended soil (sand grid, pumice and Akadama etc.) and volcanic stones to avoid bulbs rotting under such high humidity and temperature condition. At last I planted bulbs and plants, and went to bed and dreamed the mound covered with my plants ;D The next morning I found all my longiflorus bulbs were dug up roughly and there was a stinky brownish object there :o >:( I removed it and replanted bulbs again. Several days later, a Pseudolysimachion sieboldianum flew away and same stinky object there again >:( >:( I realised I made a luxurious cats toilet! :o :o :o I tried protecting my mound from cats and took many steps but it was impossible to keep my mound away from cats completely :( Then, my little gems got serious damages day by day and I was exhausted fighting against cats :'( :'( :'( Now I’m growing almost my dwarf bulbs in pots or container (except Ipheion and grape Muscari) and all happy ;D 8)

Armin, so I'll try my crocus in the open garden again some day :)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 02:48:45 AM by YT »
Tatsuo Y
By the Pacific coast, central part of main island, Japan

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2010, 07:52:46 AM »
Tatsuo,
many of bulb lovers know your problem with cats very well! >:( My family owns a cat, too. ;D

I admit I can't keep off my and neighbours cats from misusing the raised beds but one method to limit the amount of 'brownish objects' is to use a top layer of sharp gravel.
As finer the material as easier and comfortable it is for the cats to dig their toilet pothole.

Further I can recommend to use plastic baskets for corms and bulbs to prevent from being pulled out.
Usual cats learn quickly that they can't dig if they feel the edges of the baskets or see the plastic labels(!).

I have also left some area unplanted - a concession to their effective work against rodents.
An effective method is to top your raised bed with a wire mesh. But that's not looking very nice in a garden.
Best wishes
Armin

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2010, 09:31:40 AM »
Beautyful pictures, Melvyn!

Hans,
it is a pleasure you joined the croconuts ;D

Thanks Armin , I resisted long time because of lack of space to start to grow a larger number of croci, but the crazy croconut Thomas and the great pictures on this forum convinced me... ::) ;)
I still have not found the button to hide all the threads which show not Iris - so not only more and more Crocus but also Arums, Biarums, Cyclamen, Galanthus.... invade my too small Garden ;)

Thomas - thanks ;) will mark and separate this C. sativus.
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

Gerry Webster

« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2010, 09:44:03 AM »

Here some pics of a few Crocus - a relative new addiction thanks to this forum and especially Hubi. ::) ;)
A blue form of Crocus cambessedesii, C.laevigatus, two forms of C. mathewii (second from a very genorous forumist!), C. sativus and C.speciosus. As C. sativus is known as triploid clone I am surprised about the variation in colour, C. speciosus is nothing special for most growers in the north but here it survives hot and dry conditions during summer without any problem.

Welcome to the club Hans. If your new crocus do half as well as your Sternbergias then they are going to be spectacular.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2010, 10:55:54 AM »
A great series of Croci Hans !  They seem to enjoy your garden just as much as the fabulous Iris' do !!  ;D And remember.... once a nut... always a nut !!  ;D ;D

Melvyn, what  superb shots of the C. boryi in the wild !!  Fabulous !!
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2010, 01:04:23 PM »
Melvyn, what a great sight - seems like you've been there for the right time.

YT - did you try to protect your corms with fence wire? I have the same problems here with cats, but I've noticed, that they stop digging, when the soil is compacted by rain after a few weeks. Until this time you could lie a piece of fence wire on the surface. And like Armin I use plant baskets for my corms. In most cases this helps, but I've had it two or three times, that a fresh dug basket has been digged up completely with the corms - perhaps due to the human smell?

Armin thanks for the tipp with the rape oil !
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2010, 01:39:40 PM »
Mark, does Lecithine in high dose help?

so far yes
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2010, 05:35:57 PM »
Mark,
good for you! :D I asked because there are lots of debades about effectiveness/ineffectiveness of Lecithine as dietary supplement...
Best wishes
Armin

Kees Jan

• Kees Jan's botanical trips
« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2010, 08:37:15 PM »
Here is another Crocus from W Turkey: C. nerimaniae, which has a somewhat wider distribution than I thought.

http://keesjan.smugmug.com/Botanical-trips/Asia/Western-Turkey-Autumn-2010/
Kees Jan van Zwienen

Alblasserdam, The Netherlands (joint editor of Folium Alpinum, the journal of the Dutch Rock Garden Club "NRV")

photosite: http://keesjan.smugmug.com
twitter: https://twitter.com/KJVZ10
http://www.facebook.com/kees.jan.927

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2010, 08:40:38 PM »
These crocus in the wild are wonderful...... I am so grateful to be able to see them.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Arda Takan

• Tulips and Frits.
« Reply #74 on: November 09, 2010, 10:31:53 PM »
Kees Jan,

Your website is great!
in Eskisehir / Turkey

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal