We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus: November 2010  (Read 33865 times)

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
Re: Crocus: November 2010
« Reply #120 on: November 17, 2010, 04:09:56 PM »
Arthur thats good but you never mentioned you gave it me in the first place! Shows the benefits of sharing things around.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

krisderaeymaeker

• former president Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging  Flemish Rock Garden Club site and Forum
« Reply #121 on: November 17, 2010, 06:55:48 PM »
Arthur thats good but you never mentioned you gave it me in the first place! Shows the benefits of sharing things around.

I agree Tony !
The best way to keep rare and difficult plants alive is to spread them as much as possible under good and reliable friends...
Kris De Raeymaeker
from an ancient Roman settlement near the Rupel
Belgium

"even the truth is very often only perception"

"Small plants make great friends"

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #122 on: November 17, 2010, 07:00:46 PM »
A real gem Art !!
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Gerry Webster

« Reply #123 on: November 17, 2010, 10:32:46 PM »
Crocus  laevigatus

From a Ray Cobb collection (CRO1012). The seed was a gift from Alan Edwards.

Seedlings are quite variable in size & colour:

0932CRO - White, the most frequent form;

0925CRO-Y - Larger flowers.  When the flower first opens the exteriors are quite a strong yellow but this fades quickly;

0944CRO-L - The least frequent form. The flowers are slightly smaller, pale lilac & white.

Edit:

Tony Willis has kindly provided me with some information about this form received from Ray Cobb himself. The original plants were not collected by Ray but came from Ronald Ginns & CRO1012 is not, as I thought, a collection number; moreover,  it should be cr1012.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 05:45:00 PM by Gerry Webster »
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #124 on: November 19, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »
a couple of Crocus wattiorum.These came from only 150m so very hot and dry area.

The first is quite typical and when they open in warmth they recurve completely in a not very attractive way.

The second is much paler (perhaps not obvious in the pictures) and has much reduced anthers(new sub species!!). These have produced pollen which I have used to pollinate the other flowers.

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #125 on: November 20, 2010, 12:11:43 PM »
Here is very cloudy and extremely wet weather. :'( Rain, rain and rain... Even pools are out of borders and flooding meadows.
Crocus flowers die without opening even once. So no pictures can be placed. For next weekend is offered quick drop of temperatures till minus 20 C or even lower. Could be beat all frost records for November here. It mean that next week I will start covering of pots in greenhouses and no more pictures will be available. Pity, as some stocks of melantherus, aleppicus, hyemalis and few others will stay with flowerbuds for winter and will not be seen in their beauty. Every day I'm plucking of wilted and died buds to prevent botrytis and penicillium rots, so easy starting on died flowers in such weather. Although Colchicums and Sternbergias are even more susceptible. Serious problems with my Onco-irises, some cyclamens, Pelargonium endlischerianum, too.

But I had more time for other observations. I noted that all stocks grown by me as Crocus imperatii (earlier subsp. imperatii) now have quite long leaves (up to 5 cm), but all stocks grown as C. suaveolens (earlier subsp. suaveolens of C. imperatii) still are without leaves. Only one stock bought from P&M company as suaveolens is with same leaves as imperatii, so I now changed its label. I got several stocks of both collected by Thomas and those repeats the same. There are not even tips of shoots visible in pots labeled as suaveolens and long leaves on pots collected as imperatii. Would like to know your observations about those two crocuses.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Lars S

« Reply #126 on: November 20, 2010, 04:22:09 PM »
Here in Stockholm it´s also very wet and cool and next week temperatures will start to drop below zero  :-\

Unfortunately I don´t have any of the crocuses you ask about Janis, but it I am a bit surprised that my one year old seedlings of crocus alatavicus have come up and are about two cm long by now. Is that nomal with this crocus ?

As usual crocus baytopiorum are up with their noses in the pot.
Lars in Stockholm
USDA-zone 6 or there about

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #127 on: November 20, 2010, 04:26:05 PM »
I don't have C. suaveolens but C. imperatii has been in leaf here for a month or so & buds are even visible.   C. baytopiorum has recently emerged too, both mature plants and seedlings.  
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Melvyn Jope

« Reply #128 on: November 20, 2010, 05:39:35 PM »
Very overcast and dark today but at least Crocus tournefortii stays open.

I.S.

• http://crocusmania.blogspot.com/search/label/Crocus
« Reply #129 on: November 21, 2010, 12:16:18 AM »
  But on my side, the weather is perfect. 10 c more hot than normal average temperature. Two days ago I had chance research around for crocuses. I was very lucky for this time. I made lots of C. pallasii pics but there was no one C. pulchellus in this locations while I have seen lots of C. pulchellus last years.
  It seems this pallasii is very rich in variation, not only in color, shape and size of flowers also look very different than each other. Of course not all but I will post a small part of them here..

I.S.

• http://crocusmania.blogspot.com/search/label/Crocus
« Reply #130 on: November 21, 2010, 12:52:19 AM »
  I don't want to make you boring but still I will post some more from another locations. There were so nice forms so I could not decide wich one should be at top :)

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #131 on: November 21, 2010, 08:35:35 AM »
Here in Stockholm it´s also very wet and cool and next week temperatures will start to drop below zero  :-\

Unfortunately I don´t have any of the crocuses you ask about Janis, but it I am a bit surprised that my one year old seedlings of crocus alatavicus have come up and are about two cm long by now. Is that nomal with this crocus ?

As usual crocus baytopiorum are up with their noses in the pot.

It isn't normal with alatavicus, but can to happen and with my alatavicus seedling box of this autumn is the same. I was a little shocked seeing so abundant germination just now. A little nervous - how they will overwinter. Not allways I have so good seed crop of this species as this year (result of a lot of handpollination) because it blooms so early that even bees from hive placed in greenhouse still are sleeping. So I will cover them with glasswool sheets when frost will start. In nature alatavicus often come out from frosen soil, so corms are quite hardy, but I don't know how it is with first year seedlings coming out in autumn and still not forming new corm. Will hope...
Those crocuses which are wintering with leaves germinated very well and now has nice green shoots. For those it is very common and no problems in greenhouse.
The noses are out in baytopiorum, michelsonii, alatavicus and may be some others. As I showed earlier - vitellinus from Lebanon is in full flowers.
Janis
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 08:40:20 AM by Janis Ruksans »

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #132 on: November 21, 2010, 08:39:22 AM »
  But on my side, the weather is perfect. 10 c more hot than normal average temperature. Two days ago I had chance research around for crocuses. I was very lucky for this time. I made lots of C. pallasii pics but there was no one C. pulchellus in this locations while I have seen lots of C. pulchellus last years.
  It seems this pallasii is very rich in variation, not only in color, shape and size of flowers also look very different than each other. Of course not all but I will post a small part of them here..

Excellent display of variability of pallasii! Many thanks, Ibrahim.
Janis

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #133 on: November 21, 2010, 10:19:59 AM »
Wonderful selection Ibrahim !
You could never bore us with your pix from nature !!  ;D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #134 on: November 21, 2010, 10:36:27 AM »
Lovely pictures Ibrahim,good to see the variation. Is Uskup near Kırklareli on the European side

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal