We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus: November 2010  (Read 33861 times)

Lars S

Re: Crocus: November 2010
« Reply #135 on: November 21, 2010, 12:02:42 PM »
Thank´s Janis !

Let´s hope for a mild winter then.

Lovely pictures of crocus pallasii Ibrahim.

Lars
Lars in Stockholm
USDA-zone 6 or there about

I.S.

• http://crocusmania.blogspot.com/search/label/Crocus
« Reply #136 on: November 21, 2010, 05:45:35 PM »
Lovely pictures Ibrahim,good to see the variation. Is Uskup near Kırklareli on the European side

Tony, yes this is the exact location where my C. pallasii pics made.

I like to show one more C. pallasii. This was a nice surprise for me to see in a pot of C. cancellatus lycius so it is from quite far and differance part of country. It is smaller than my standart pallasii but very nice in color :).

udo

• Dirk Schnabel
« Reply #137 on: November 22, 2010, 04:20:47 PM »
Here is very cloudy and extremely wet weather. :'( Rain, rain and rain... Even pools are out of borders and flooding meadows.
Crocus flowers die without opening even once. So no pictures can be placed. For next weekend is offered quick drop of temperatures till minus 20 C or even lower. Could be beat all frost records for November here. It mean that next week I will start covering of pots in greenhouses and no more pictures will be available. Pity, as some stocks of melantherus, aleppicus, hyemalis and few others will stay with flowerbuds for winter and will not be seen in their beauty. Every day I'm plucking of wilted and died buds to prevent botrytis and penicillium rots, so easy starting on died flowers in such weather. Although Colchicums and Sternbergias are even more susceptible. Serious problems with my Onco-irises, some cyclamens, Pelargonium endlischerianum, too.

But I had more time for other observations. I noted that all stocks grown by me as Crocus imperatii (earlier subsp. imperatii) now have quite long leaves (up to 5 cm), but all stocks grown as C. suaveolens (earlier subsp. suaveolens of C. imperatii) still are without leaves. Only one stock bought from P&M company as suaveolens is with same leaves as imperatii, so I now changed its label. I got several stocks of both collected by Thomas and those repeats the same. There are not even tips of shoots visible in pots labeled as suaveolens and long leaves on pots collected as imperatii. Would like to know your observations about those two crocuses.
Janis

Janis, my observation to Crocus imperati and suaveolens:
Cr.imperati from Thomas, 4 cm leaves
Cr.suaveolens Cambridge Bulbs also 4 cm
        ``        ex. `de Jager`  1 cm
Lichtenstein/Sachsen, Germany
www.steingartenverein.de

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #138 on: November 25, 2010, 02:08:30 PM »
Dirk, many thanks for your notes about imperatii-suaveolens complex.

I think the attached two pictures are the last from me this year. Outside all is covered by snow and temperature during day stay at minus 4 C. Weather broadcast for following week is quite horrible - from 1st of December is offered even minus 25 C. So, if prognosis will not change, on Monday I will start covering of pots in greenhouses to protect them from extreme low temperatures. Pity that still many crocuses are in buds. In last two weeks we had endless rains and no one sunny day. Many crocuses pushed out flower buds but they never opened before started to wilt. So today I brought in the room two pots with Crocus hyemalis but it was so dark, that it was impossible to picture them without flash. I don't like such pictures, but can't to present you better.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #139 on: November 25, 2010, 02:58:04 PM »
Photographed this nice laevigatus last weekend.  Think it was a gift, but thanks to birds pulling out labels I do not have a record.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #140 on: November 25, 2010, 04:06:01 PM »
Photographed this nice laevigatus last weekend.  Think it was a gift, but thanks to birds pulling out labels I do not have a record.
Excellent flower, Arthur!
Janis

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #141 on: November 25, 2010, 06:11:47 PM »
Nice plant Arthur.  I like laevigatus  It is a bit like this one from a forumist some years ago - I think tonyg in 2005. A nice lavender laevigatus with strong purple outer markings.

I have now a growing selection of seedlings some beginning to flower.
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #142 on: November 25, 2010, 06:46:56 PM »
Yes, Ian that is the 'dark form' that I have distributed.  I think I have seen it pictured here by other recipients too!  Here are some of mine, planted outside for about 10 years now - tough!

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #143 on: November 25, 2010, 07:16:59 PM »
Yes Tony mine outside also look at bit sorry for themselves just now
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #144 on: November 26, 2010, 01:58:01 PM »
The same Crocus hyemalis pots, only pictured without flash, just before pollination and returning to greenhouse.
Janis

I.S.

« Reply #145 on: November 26, 2010, 02:04:00 PM »
  Here is my another surprise which made me undecided for lable!
I have this crocus in spring with leaves. I thought It was something very common but it is very interesting with light pink color without any feathered but not albino. So it should be just a sample for its own locations.

I.S.

« Reply #146 on: November 26, 2010, 02:07:05 PM »
  janis we still have here over 20 c in day and 16 in night :)

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #147 on: November 27, 2010, 08:20:22 PM »
Some Crocus which flowered today - C. mathewii 'Dream Dancer' is flowering much later than the other forms (and is compared with Anthonys very pale), C. laevigatus 'dark form' and C. hyemalis are very floriferous this year.
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #148 on: November 27, 2010, 08:31:33 PM »
  janis we still have here over 20 c in day and 16 in night :)

Ibrahim, the temperatures here on the other side of the world are exactly the same at the moment. :D I left back and front doors wide open last night because it was so muggy and warm and this morning was wakened by a thrush flying around the kitchen and crashing into things. Small dog chasing after it was unlucky and I was able to rescue it. 8)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #149 on: November 27, 2010, 08:56:11 PM »
Some Crocus which flowered today ...

Hans when I see how beautifully these grow in your garden I feel sorry for the poor things I have in pots under glass  :P ;D
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal