We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Peloponnese in autumn 2010  (Read 11935 times)

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
Re: Peloponnese in autumn 2010
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2010, 04:27:30 PM »
I defer to the authority, Brian Mathew, in his definitive monograph A Review of Allium section Allium, where A. commutatum is a good species, as it is in all other pertinent floras I've seen... it has a few detailed floral differences (albeit minor ones) that separate it from A. ampeloprasum, and yet another close ally, A. bourgeaui.  Taxonomic separation of many alliums will get down to a few minor differences.  Allium commutatum is a Mediterranean species found close to sea level (or up to 300 m) in habitats close to the sea and on islands.  There is also Allium bourgeaui ssp. cycladicum which is found in E. Peloponnese inhabiting similar low elevation locales.  The ID will remain a question until detailed inspection of plants in flower.

OK, we'll wait and see in summer when the flowers are out.
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

christian pfalz

• Journal Access Group
  • mediterranean alpines, greece, turkey, iran
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2010, 11:01:23 AM »
hello all,
a few pics fom greece nov 2010....her the landscape between korinth and loutraki....

the sun goes down....in the background loutraki....

id-please....asphodeline ?

id-please

id-please

id-please...eryngium ?

id-please sideritis ?

whats this ?

crocus ?

thanks
cheers
chris
Rheinland-Pfalz south-west Germany, hot and relatively dry

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2010, 11:09:31 AM »
Hi Chris - wonderful photos from the Northern Peloponnese.
The Crocus looks like cancellatus ssp mazziaricus - one of two crocus that I have missed on my own journey. Do you have more photos of it?

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2010, 02:45:11 PM »
Hi Chris,

Whats this?  I think it is a seed head of Scorpiurus ssp.. Names are 'Prickly Caterpillar' 'Skorpionsschwanz oder Raupenblume'.
Best wishes
Armin

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2010, 03:18:50 PM »
Better late than never, I only discovered your "Odyssee" today Thomas !
What a great hooliday you and your family seem to have had !

Thanks for showing us all these wonders of nature !!  :D :D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2010, 03:53:10 PM »
My pleasure Luc. :D

Some more photos from our trip down the Mani Peninsula:

54 - cant remember the name of this village, but I think it's worth showing
56 - oh no - not again... :-X  I wish all 'weeds' would look so beautiful  ;D
57-62 - another population of Crocus niveus, not as variable as the one North of Monemvassia, but still worth showing
63-65 - landscapes on the Eastern coast of the Mani

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2010, 04:00:40 PM »
The end of the day was spent in our favourite taverna in Gythion:

66 - please note the lamps in the background - 67  ;D
68 - the Greek market crises was felt even here - no money for a good plate. But who needs a plate  ;D
19-23 - the last day on Mavrovouni beach greeted us with lots of sunshine and warm water. The kids enjoyed the last hours a lot  :D

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2010, 04:14:16 PM »
While the rest of the Hubi's spent the last day on the beach I took the car after lunch and made a trip back to Mount Parnon, where I wanted to check if the rain of the last days has forced the crocus to grow.

62 - on the way up the coast I had this beautiful sight
67 - as always in the mountains goats were seen beside and on the road

Arriving in the mountains confirmed my guess: In only one week the crocus have started to grow everywhere beneath the street and in the backcountry:

69 - Crocus laevigatus, only white plants, partly with stripes, grow there. Again I wondered about them being so early compared to the ones I have in my garden - these are always the last in the season, rarely flowering before November.
72+73 - Crocus hadriaticus in all colours, with and without yellow throat covered complete slopes - one week earlier, there was NOTHING!
82+86 - a white and a blue form of Crocus niveus - these are two of many plants that I found between 700 and 1200m. Much higher than written in the books.
88 - and if I say 'they grew EVERYWHERE' I mean 'everywhere'  ;D

Coming back home to the hotel I found Celine crying because she didn't want to go home  :'(
But we decided  to return even so.
THE END
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 04:20:52 PM by Thomas Huber »

christian pfalz

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2010, 04:14:58 PM »
thomas, armin, thanks a lot.....
more photos, i must ask my friend....
cheers
chris

Hillview croconut

• Hillview Rare Plants
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2010, 10:11:11 PM »
Hi Thomas

I have only just caught up with the rest of your Greek Odessey. So wonderful to revisit one of my favourite places on earth. Though this year she wasn't so kind to me and my partner, Suzie. We were robbed near Kardamili, all our money and plastic and Suzie's passport stolen. On the bright side we were shown GREAT kindness by the people in the village. We were lent money and accomodation and shown were we could get our hire car repaired. The Greeks are so laid back. It took 3 extra days to get the right side window replaced because the supplier guy didn't take down the correct product serial number and then he didn't hurry to put the window on the Friday bus from Athens! Anyway enough of me.

Which villages did you travel through to Mt Parnon? I found Crocus niveus growing all along the ditches on side of the road north of Kosmos. The pine forest restricts their territory only to this strip. Its like someone has thrown seeds from out of their car window. As an aside, I don't know why the Cyclamen Society bothered to do a detailed survey of this area for C. rhodium ssp peleponnesiacum f. vividum - it grows EVERYWHERE!  8)   

Did you go anywhere near Mt Kouchera? It would be on the southern branch of the turn from Sikea. That road takes you eventually to Lambokambos. John Fielding in his guide to Flower walks on Mainland Greece that this the place to see all the Peleponnesian crocus, except maybe C. biflorus ssp melantherus, in the one place! 

Cheers, Marcus

Melvyn Jope

« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2010, 10:34:47 AM »
My pleasure Luc. :D

Some more photos from our trip down the Mani Peninsula:

54 - cant remember the name of this village, but I think it's worth showing
56 - oh no - not again... :-X  I wish all 'weeds' would look so beautiful  ;D
57-62 - another population of Crocus niveus, not as variable as the one North of Monemvassia, but still worth showing
63-65 - landscapes on the Eastern coast of the Mani
Thomas, many thanks for all of your photos, it really makes me feel that I want to be there again!

I think the village in your photo might be Vathia?

cycnich

• Mister 1000
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2010, 05:39:01 PM »
Hi Thomas

I have only just caught up with the rest of your Greek Odessey. So wonderful to revisit one of my favourite places on earth. Though this year she wasn't so kind to me and my partner, Suzie. We were robbed near Kardamili, all our money and plastic and Suzie's passport stolen. On the bright side we were shown GREAT kindness by the people in the village. We were lent money and accomodation and shown were we could get our hire car repaired. The Greeks are so laid back. It took 3 extra days to get the right side window replaced because the supplier guy didn't take down the correct product serial number and then he didn't hurry to put the window on the Friday bus from Athens! Anyway enough of me.

Which villages did you travel through to Mt Parnon? I found Crocus niveus growing all along the ditches on side of the road north of Kosmos. The pine forest restricts their territory only to this strip. Its like someone has thrown seeds from out of their car window. As an aside, I don't know why the Cyclamen Society bothered to do a detailed survey of this area for C. rhodium ssp peleponnesiacum f. vividum - it grows EVERYWHERE!  8)   

Did you go anywhere near Mt Kouchera? It would be on the southern branch of the turn from Sikea. That road takes you eventually to Lambokambos. John Fielding in his guide to Flower walks on Mainland Greece that this the place to see all the Peleponnesian crocus, except maybe C. biflorus ssp melantherus, in the one place! 

Cheers, Marcus

Marcus
           The last cyclamen society survey of viviidum was in 1993, 17 years ago. Please do not knock the only society that is doing any research into plants in the wild whatsoever, we are doing our best! Unlike most societies that do nothing.
Pat Nicholls, Cyclamen and associated bulbs.

Shoreham by sea West Sussex, UK

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2010, 07:14:15 PM »
Thomas a lovely series which I have just enjoyed on my return from Turkey. They brought back good memories

It took me four attempts before I hit the season right in the Peloponnese but when I did it was breath taking.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

christian pfalz

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2010, 07:30:17 PM »
hi,
another short picture serie from korinth/greece....
cyclamen greacum....

allien  ;)

pinus halepensis

quercus coccifera

the same plant, i´ve got seed from, extremly small leaves....

pinus any idea pinaster ????

pine cone....

thanks
cheers
chris
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 09:42:29 PM by christian pfalz »

Gerry Webster

« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2010, 09:34:18 PM »

Marcus
           The last cyclamen society survey of viviidum was in 1993, 17 years ago. Please do not knock the only society that is doing any research into plants in the wild whatsoever, we are doing our best! Unlike most societies that do nothing.

I agree completely Pat.  When I was active in the Frit Group I attempted, using the Cyclamen Society as an example, to persuade the Committee to organise some field research on European frits. I was unsuccessful. 
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal