We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Snowdrops & Cake! Benington Lordship - 20th Feb 2011  (Read 12885 times)

RichardW

• Benington Lordship Gardens
Snowdrops & Cake! Benington Lordship - 20th Feb 2011
« on: November 10, 2010, 10:21:21 AM »
thought it would be better to have a thread instead of derailing another with Coffee & Walnut  :)

I mentioned in another thread earlier this year the idea of having an informal meet here at Benington Lordship, the owners have given the ok but a few things still have to be finalised.

I hope to do this on the 3rd Sunday in Feb - 20th, this is usually peak time for the drops, can't confirm this yet as I need to check group bookings & that it doesn't clash with any other big events in the calender.

there wont be any cost involved, my daughter has volunteered to make cakes but any donations are welcome  ;) & I'll provide tea/coffee.

depending on numbers I should be able to get the tea room, on Sundays groups in the village do teas so it'll be free, I have promised the owners this will be kept low-key and they will not to have do anything so I'll need an idea of numbers.

anyone is welcome, plan would be to start mid morning while the garden is closed, always nicer when it's quiet & Sundays can get very busy so parking will be easier, I wont be selling any plants, not selling any Snowdrops next year to expand the planting.

hopefully the weather will be kinder this year, if there's any sign of snow it'll be off, the roads are narrow and Benington rarely sees a gritter.

if anyone is interested please reply/pm me, I can be quite flexible if there's another big event on, would prefer a sunday but saturday is not really a problem, though it would mean using my house (across the road) and everyone being pounced on by my cats & dog  ;)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 07:41:36 PM by RichardW »

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
Re: Snowdrops & Cake!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 11:11:06 AM »
i would love to come  ;D and i can bring cake, chocolate cake being my favorite  .
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 11:26:16 AM »
Sounds wonderful (even being pounced on by dogs and cats) I'll bring cake - just name your flavour! :D
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 11:55:28 AM »
I've nothing booked on that day yet so have put you in my diary - all going well I shall be there eating the cake that everyone is bringing.   ;D  I don't mind providing a lap for a cat if necessary.  ;D

My fifth snowdrop booking already and it's only November.   :o

John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 01:37:37 PM »
A thought has just come to me.  When I attend my various 'jungle plant forum gatherings' a few times each year we always bring surplus plants as swaps/giveaways.  Would this free event be a good time for such a 'swap meet'?
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 01:44:51 PM »
Is anyone close to an airport that Easyjet use? They have a seat sale on right now.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 01:59:08 PM »
Is anyone close to an airport that Easyjet use? They have a seat sale on right now.
Stansted is not far from Benington and I could probably loop round that way.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 02:53:53 PM »
Thanks Gail. I just checked flights. The first one on a Sunday doesnt arrive until 12.30pm  :'(

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 03:11:30 PM »
Hi Mark

I've just had a quick look and both Gatwick and Heathrow seem to be about 2 hours on the train to Stevenage.  Not sure if this helps.

Gatwick train comes into Victoria (same as my train does) - then underground tube to Kings Cross and overground train to Stevenage.  Which is what I will be doing on the day hopefully, engineering works permitting!.
John

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 06:14:57 PM »
Thanks John. Flying in is no problem nor is the train but I can't allow for a wrong kind of snowflake to land on the tracks  ;D

RichardW

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 07:22:02 PM »
quick update, that date is now fixed, so weather permitting (at least it probably can't get any colder  ::) is all sorted.

thank you for the replies so far  :)

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 07:29:17 PM »
Thanks Richard.  20th Feb is now in my diary.  Hopefully Art600 will be there too (as he may well be my volunteer taxi for the day   :))

Maggie - can we pop '20th February - Benington Lordship' in the thread title please.   :-*
John

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
Re: Snowdrops & Cake! Benington Lordship - 20th Feb 2011
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 07:43:29 PM »
 ;D Thank you Maggie.   :-*
John

RichardW

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 07:45:46 PM »
I discovered I could do that  ;)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2010, 09:23:07 PM »
I discovered I could do that  ;)
Yes, as the thread starter you can, Richard.... I'll just take the thank you cuddles anyway!!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal