We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: NZ field trips - December 2010  (Read 10862 times)

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
Re: NZ field trips - December 2010
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2010, 08:55:58 AM »
I have been fascinated by NZ flora for years and that hasn't lessened now! I hope you or others continue showing pics from those extraordinary islands!
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2010, 09:57:51 AM »
Hi Doug,
Season's greetings to you lads over there!  More magnificent images ... many thanks!
Is R. royi in cultivation in New Zealand?  It looks a little gem.

Can be deceiving Cliff ---it's just another of the small grassland buttercups that in the flesh,(as least to me),have a weedy look...... 

A few more pics that haven't been shown

Companions --Steve and Doug .

Celmisia haastii flowering on very wet slopes.

Aciphylla kirkii located on a cool steep rock face ,however can be found on more gentle angles amongst snow tussock.

Raoulia buchananii ---2 pics showing  colour variations .

Close up of Ourisia glandulosa which we found as impressive mats.

Brachyglottis revoluta on stable shattered rock.

Cheers dave. 
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2010, 10:15:56 AM »
Thanks Dave ... some more amazing images ... particularly taken with Raoulia buchananii variation 2, very evocative!
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2010, 11:31:16 AM »
Absolutely fantastic pics guys - how I wish this 'Scotty' could be beamed out to join you and dance around those plant covered hills again.

Keep trekking...........

« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 12:36:42 PM by Ian Y »
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2010, 02:13:24 PM »
Doug and Dave, what magnificent images of NZ Flora again. It's amazing to see all these different growing forms in the mountains.
The Raoulia buchananii colour variations are most interEsting and Brachyglottis revoluta looks like a plant which might have some potential as an easy but good garden plant? Or am I to optimistic in thinking so  :)
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2010, 07:56:39 PM »
Thanks Cliff and Luit.

There are other colour variations of R.buchananii as well --i have a number of pics in my 'library' somewhere but i won't bore you with them all. :)

Luit
I find that Brachyglottis revoluta ,while never reaching the sizeable wide shrub it becomes in the wild ,will happily grow in the garden.I know i have said this many many times before ;D ;D ;D  i love it because of it's wonderful scent.

Scottie we do miss you --somehow the NZ trekking scene isn't as much fun without you Ian ;)

Cheers dave.
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

kiwi

• Go the All Blacks!!!
« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2010, 09:17:21 PM »
One last post from the S.P.A.T. trip.

Hebejeebie densifolia.
Haastia sinclairii.
Best view from long drop ever?
Leptinella pectinata?
Another member of our team, Fiona Newall (Steves daughter) checks out a natural crevice garden.
A nice Celmisia hybrid x C.spedenii.
Doug Logan, Canterbury NZ.

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2010, 10:36:20 PM »
Luit
I find that Brachyglottis revoluta ,while never reaching the sizeable wide shrub it becomes in the wild ,will happily grow in the garden.I know i have said this many many times before ;D ;D ;D  i love it because of it's wonderful scent.
Cheers dave.
Dave, I didn't know it  is a shrub (alas not visible in the picture), and that might be the reason it is not in seen in gardens. Probaby not suitable as a compact plant for pots. Many alpine gardeners only want it when it's good for showing on shows, but overlook such a little bigger plants which would be good performers in the garden. I read in your words that we are thinking on the same line, so maybe there is a big task for you to try to introduce it  ;D ;D ::)
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Hoy

« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2010, 07:20:49 AM »
More beautiful plants! I couldn't even dream of their existence!
Is anybody growing Hebejeebie densifolia in the garden?

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2010, 12:02:48 PM »
Trond,  the plant   Hebejeebie densifolia was previously Chionohebe densifolia and before that was known as Paederota densifolia...... plenty names for you to try to track it down !  It is grown mostly as an exhibition plant in the UK... not sure if anyone has it out in the garden....... :-\

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Graham Catlow

« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2010, 01:27:00 PM »
Hebejeebie densifolia

Heebie-jeebies, A feeling of anxiety, apprehension or illness.
I'm sure the person or persons who renamed this plant must have had a sense of humour. Unless there is some scientific significance to the jeebies part of the name that I do not know.
This has to be one of the best names for a plant.

Trond - Ian of the Christie kind has it for sale under Chionohebe densifolia. I'm sure he would be able to give you some more information on its performance in the Scottish climate.

http://www.alpine-plants.co.uk/index.php?page=plantlist&atoz=C#results

Bo'ness. Scotland

Hoy

« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2010, 05:40:04 PM »
Trond,  the plant   Hebejeebie densifolia was previously Chionohebe densifolia and before that was known as Paederota densifolia...... plenty names for you to try to track it down !  It is grown mostly as an exhibition plant in the UK... not sure if anyone has it out in the garden....... :-\
Thanks, Maggi! I have heard the other two names but Hebejeebie was new! Wasn't even sure it was a real name.

Hebejeebie densifolia

Heebie-jeebies, A feeling of anxiety, apprehension or illness.
I'm sure the person or persons who renamed this plant must have had a sense of humour. Unless there is some scientific significance to the jeebies part of the name that I do not know.
This has to be one of the best names for a plant.

Trond - Ian of the Christie kind has it for sale under Chionohebe densifolia. I'm sure he would be able to give you some more information on its performance in the Scottish climate.

http://www.alpine-plants.co.uk/index.php?page=plantlist&atoz=C#results
Maybe the jeebie part is a native name or word?

Graham, thanks for the link. Think I have to ask Ian with the long name  if he dispatch to Norway!

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2010, 09:03:09 PM »
I'm sure Hebejeebie was Doug's little joke. Hope so anyway. ;D I know it as Chionohebe densifolia but I was told recently that all Hebes, Chionohebes, Heliohebes and others with name changes over recent years are now being put back into the single genus Veronica!!!!! whence they came many, many years ago. I hope this is not right as Hebe at least, is so very distinct from the northern veronicas.

Chionohebe densifolia is very growable in the garden, along with plants like Herpolirion novae-zelandiae and it likes a humusy scree mixture in part sun with ample moisture during summer. It can be burned off only too easily, I found a couple of months ago, by our hot, searing north-west winds.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2010, 09:19:58 PM »
http://nzpcn.org.nz/flora_details.asp?ID=2151

http://www.botany.otago.ac.nz/bso/newsletters/bso60.pdf

http://www.linz.govt.nz/docs/crownproperty/high-country-leases/leaselist/lake-hawea-crr-pt1.pdf

http://plantnet.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/emuwebnswlive/objects/common/webmedia.php?irn=45457&reftable=ebibliography      :

Veronica densifolia (F.Muell.) F.Muell., Fragm. 2: 137 (1861),
≡ Paederota densifolia F.Muell., Trans. Philos. Soc. Victoria 1: 107 (1855).
≡ Chionohebe densifolia (F.Muell.) B.G.Briggs & Ehrend., Contr. Herb. Austral. 25: 2
(1976).
≡ Leonohebe densifolia (F.Muell.) Heads, Bot. Soc. Otago Newslett. 5: 4 (1987).
≡ Hebejeebie densifolia (F.Muell.) Heads, Bot. Soc. Otago Newslett. 36: 11 (2003).
Type citation: On the highest rocky summits of the Munyang Mountains (6–6500 feet)
[F. Mueller].
Lectotype (here designated): Munyang Mountains, Mount Coskiusko [=Kosciusko],
6000–6500 ft., Mueller, Jan 1855 (MEL 21502!). Residual syntypes: Munyang Mountains,
6000 ft, [Mueller] (MEL 21503!); Munyang Mtns 6000′, F v Mueller (K!, two sheets: one
from Hooker herbarium, the other from Linnean Society); Mount Coskiusko 6000’, F v
Mueller (K!). Possible syntype: Mount Coskiusko, [Mueller?]
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 09:22:04 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

kiwi

• Go the All Blacks!!!
« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2010, 10:02:56 PM »
Interesting reading the botany Otago newsletter about the Cook's Scurvy grass they found, as I saw it for the first time on this last trip in the Catlin's. Heres a shot of it for those interested.
Lepidium oleraceum.
Doug Logan, Canterbury NZ.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal