We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Is this Aquilegia buergeriana?  (Read 2994 times)

maggiepie

Is this Aquilegia buergeriana?
« on: December 10, 2010, 09:37:54 PM »
Can someone ID this for me?
Grown from seed, not sure where I got the seed but the other two seedlings are yellow and maroon/burgundy/brown.
Am having trouble finding information about a white A. buergeriana.
Including a pic of one of the other seedlings.

Helen Poirier , Australia

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
Re: Is this Aquilegia buergeriana?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 11:57:59 PM »
Can someone ID this for me?
Grown from seed, not sure where I got the seed but the other two seedlings are yellow and maroon/burgundy/brown.
Am having trouble finding information about a white A. buergeriana.
Including a pic of one of the other seedlings.

#1-3 are A. flabellata - white form, although somewhat unusual in the greenish tinge.

#4 looks like A. buergeriana flower coloring to me, that classic dull maroon-purplish outer sepals, and yellow cup, although the spurs look too short and a bit more inrolled than normal, they should be longer and straight (or with slight incurve at the ends) in the species. Maybe your plant is a buergeriana hybrid.

I like the coloration of A. buergeriana very much.  I don't know of a white form per se, but there is an all yellow form, see links below:

A. buergeriana - Japan (5 pics, 3 taken in the wild)
http://flowers.la.coocan.jp/Ranunculaceae/Aquilegia%20buergeriana.htm

A. buergeriana - yellow green form
http://www.hillkeep.ca/per%20aquilegia%20paraquilegia%20semiaquilegia.htm
http://www.hillkeep.ca/images/Aquilegia_buergeriana_yellow_form.jpg
http://www.nargs.org/nargswiki/tiki-browse_image.php?imageId=1205

A. buergeriana f. flavescens
http://flowers.la.coocan.jp/Ranunculaceae/Aquilegia%20buergeriana%20flavescens.htm
http://flowers.la.coocan.jp/Ranunculaceae/Aquilegia%20buergeriana%20flavescens/DSC02080.JPG
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 12:06:50 AM by TheOnionMan »
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

maggiepie

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 04:07:46 PM »
Thanks, Mark.
Your googling skills are better than mine it seems.
Actually, I am finding google is getting stupid the last 6 months.
Maybe it's me :o

TheOnionMan

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 04:32:43 PM »
Thanks, Mark.
Your googling skills are better than mine it seems.
Actually, I am finding google is getting stupid the last 6 months.
Maybe it's me :o

Helen, what sorts of problems are you having with Google?  There is tons of misinformation on plants, mostly from the very casual gardening side of things, where most everything & anything is misnamed.  In the case of something like A. buergeriana, I checked it's distribution first (Japan), then do a google search aquilegia buergeriana japan and it'll come up with potentially more dependable web sites showing the real plant growing and flowering in the wild.  Once you know what the plant looks like from dependable sources, makes it easier to spot the real McCoy's versus the Hatfields :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatfield%E2%80%93McCoy_feud

On your white flabellata form, is the color accurate... with a slight infusion of chartreuse on the flowers?  It's a charming plant, I love the tightly rolled spurs!  All this focused talk of Aquilegia has me wanting to try more this year, and I particularly like some of the flabellata forms.  I did receive seed of verified A. saximontana, I will sow the minuscule seed today.
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

maggiepie

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 05:02:27 PM »
Mark, I have been using google since it first came out and would get what I was looking for in the first few hits.
Now I am finding that I have to basically type in whole lines to filter out the rubbish google is putting in first.
For example, I often go to the AGS website, so only had to type ags into google and bang, it was there.
Not anymore, now I have to type in Alpine garden society to get it.
That is just one example, it's as if google is trying to steer me towards paying customers.

My not buergeriana is not actually white, it is more of a cream with maybe hints of chartreuse, the colour is accurate on my monitor and sounds like you are seeing the same thing.
It is a lovely little thing, I just hope it makes it through this horrible freeze/thawing we are having at the moment.
I didn't save seeds due to the wee harlequin stinkbugs but am going to try doing some hybridising next year so will make some sort of covers with cheesecloth or maybe I can find some muslin.
Can't buy empty teabags here unfortunately.
If I manage to get some you are welcome to try some.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 12:43:12 AM »
All this focused talk of Aquilegia has me wanting to try more this year, and I particularly like some of the flabellata forms.  I did receive seed of verified A. saximontana, I will sow the minuscule seed today.

speaking of which, what is the germination routine for aquilegias? i think (without rechecking now) kristl mentions GA3 being desirable for most?

TheOnionMan

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 04:35:09 AM »
All this focused talk of Aquilegia has me wanting to try more this year, and I particularly like some of the flabellata forms.  I did receive seed of verified A. saximontana, I will sow the minuscule seed today.

speaking of which, what is the germination routine for aquilegias? i think (without rechecking now) kristl mentions GA3 being desirable for most?

For me, it is natural seed sowing, never had problems with Aquilegia germination (they benefit from stratification) and I've never used any chemicals to induce germination.  On my A. saximontana seed, 1/2 will be sown in a flat, and left out for the winter, and the other half will be sown outside directly in the ground... I would not have believed this impossible after the past week of freezing temperature with night temps as low as 10 F (-12 C) and daytime temps staying below freezing (and no snow), but today it was pouring rain and 42 F (5.5 C) and tonight, still pouring rain, it is 52 C (11 C), so enough ground will thaw to allow some in situ seed sowing.
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Great Moravian

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 12:02:45 PM »
Helen,
The white-flowered plant is Aquilegia flabellata, the purple-yellow flowered is Aquilegia oxysepala
or a hybrid Aquilegia buergeriana x Aquilegia oxysepala closer to the latter.
http://ptech.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2010/05/post-7248.html
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 12:10:22 PM by Great Moravian »
Josef N.
gardening in Brno, Czechoslovakia
---
Krieg, Handel und Piraterie, dreieinig sind sie, nicht zu trennen
War, business and piracy are triune, not to separate
Goethe

maggiepie

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 01:29:42 PM »
Josef,

Thanks for the information, I was going to look for some A. oxysepala seeds.
My flower does look very much like the one on the Japanese site.
I have some A. buergeriana seeds on the way to me at the moment :)
It will be interesting to see them side by side to compare, in a year or so.

Cohan, I germinate my aquilegias in baggies and just pot them up after they grow a root. I do everything in baggies.
If they don't germinate at warm I put them in the fridge and keep rotating until I get germinations.

Mark,  sounds like your weather is identical to mine except we are following you.
My gardens have frozen thawed at least 3 times so far. We are expecting a lot of rain during the next few days plus high winds
I am really worried about what might not survive this winter.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 01:34:25 PM by maggiepie »

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 04:05:54 AM »
tks for the input helen and mark; helen--do you find some aquilegias germinating at warm? i guess mostly it would be outdoors over winter for me, no fridge space, though i do have a back hall floor cold enough i think..
i haven't used GA3 yet, but i am seriously considering it for pediocactus, seems like it might just be way easier than the alternatives (cold strat that still may not yield much, or a very complicated hot and then poke technique that is way too hands on for me...) good to hear the aquilegias are not as troublesome as i had somehow thought...

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 09:58:26 AM »
I am short of time so I cannot dig out my photo of what I hope is the real macCoy taken at Utsukusii no Hara near Matsumoto. That one defintely has longer spurs.
However, I agree that Google is getting exasperating. They now start to "rectify" my spelling. menaing that rare words must be put between " " otherwise I will come up wioth something quite irrelevant.
There are several other search engines available most of which make metasearches. Presumably these are less prone to collect data about my searches.
Cheers
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

maggiepie

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 12:30:42 PM »
Cohan, I usually start all my seeds in baggies at warm for a few weeks, it's interesting to see how even seeds that need cold stratification will often give you a few that will germinate at warm.
Why don't you try some with the winter sowing method.

Gote, I haven't been using " " with google for years, I will go back to using them if it will make a difference.
I used to be able to get what I was looking for almost the first hit in fact it was faster than using bookmarks.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2010, 06:53:31 PM »
Cohan, I usually start all my seeds in baggies at warm for a few weeks, it's interesting to see how even seeds that need cold stratification will often give you a few that will germinate at warm.
Why don't you try some with the winter sowing method.

Gote, I haven't been using " " with google for years, I will go back to using them if it will make a difference.
I used to be able to get what I was looking for almost the first hit in fact it was faster than using bookmarks.

tks, helen, i don't have any seed at the moment, we'll see where my weakness leads me before spring--i'm trying to be strong and stick to woodland/edge plants until the rockgarden actually exists...lol
i think alplains has something like the yellow and orange 'butterflies' i saw floating in the woods at the edge of the highway to jasper this summer (never at a time/place i could catch them in time to stop and photograph)

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2010, 07:10:44 PM »
The aquilegias you saw would have been A. flavescens, from your description and the range maps, Cohan... not in the Alplains paper copy list this year, unfortunately.  I haven't checked to see if there are different/more species in the website list though... ???
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2010, 04:33:55 AM »
i guess there prob aren't many aquilegias in that region that would be tall, in the forest edge and yellow or orange ( i saw patches of both colours, and really am presuming it was aquilegia, having only seen them  from a moving car, but i am pretty good at that sort of spotting..usually...lol)...so you are likely correct, lori..

alplains does not have it online, either; i'm opposite to you, have not yet looked at the paper copy--so odd to me to receive paper catalogues in the mail! i feel embarrassed that i am costing them so much money...lol  received one from pavelka also...
what i was remembering in alplains list was A chrysantha, rated z4 from high altitude arizona, in the dappled shade of  firs... plants that can take shade always catch my eye!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 04:35:52 AM by cohan »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal