We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: A three week Madeira blog  (Read 9605 times)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: A three week Madeira blog
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2011, 07:46:28 PM »
Last night I saw Madeiras airport on The Worlds Most Extreme Airports
http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/static.panoramio.com/photos/original/527949.jpg
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 07:51:39 PM by mark smyth »
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2011, 06:01:06 PM »
Last night I saw Madeiras airport on The Worlds Most Extreme Airports
http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/static.panoramio.com/photos/original/527949.jpg

You can imagine what it was like before they built the extension on stilts!   :o
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2011, 07:16:55 PM »
they showed it on the programme - scary stuff
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2011, 06:10:05 PM »
Sunday 2nd January

It has been a busy few days here and I can't actually remember what we did on Sunday - I imagine it must have been just more of the usual as nothing jumps out when I think back.  In view of my failing memory I am going to post some happy pictures and some not so happy pictures of the last couple of weeks.

Firstly some of the Christmas lights that are always stunning - not the usual UK local government, reused every year, bog standard lights that I would expect at home.  Every street in Funchal (and some of the other cities) have a different theme to them (and these themes change each year).  These are not the absolute best I have seen here - but are the best photos I managed and will hopefully give a general feel of why x-mas here is worth attending.

The second half of the photos are the sad fact that I have noticed at least 25 of the really mature Canary Island Date Palms have died.   :'(  I am guessing it is that 'palm beetle' that is slowly spreading across Europe. 
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2011, 06:16:38 PM »
It is sad (and worrying)  about the date palms but the sheer delight of that photo of your Mum and Dad looking so happy in their very own Christmas Decoration is more than enough to cheer anyone up!  8) 8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2011, 07:01:52 PM »
Great lights, indeed, John.

By the way, it's a bad sign when you can't remember where you were last night.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2011, 06:42:04 AM »
Great lights, indeed, John.

By the way, it's a bad sign when you can't remember where you were last night.

Paddy

It was 3 days ago!   ;D
John

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2011, 07:08:08 AM »
Monday 3rd January

Dad has been wanting to do a Levada the whole holiday but mum's dodgy legs have stopped him.  On Monday she agreed to do her own thing so that I could take dad out walking all day. Mum took herself off to Monte and the gardens while Dad and I headed off to .....

The levada was damaged quite badly during the February floods but has been patched up.  I went on this walk in May and there seemed to have been further damage since then.  A few pictures along the way.

pic 4 - where one of the landslides happened-  Patched up and reasonably safe...

pic 5 - interesting civil engineering project (note the two small tree trunks supporting this whole structure!   :o)

pic 6 - I refused to let us go beyond this point (dad was keen to continue  ::)).  The picture doesn't really show just how unstable the ground was beyond here.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 03:41:33 PM by KentGardener »
John

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2011, 07:18:59 AM »
A few plants along the way.

1 & 2 are native Aeoniums

3 - any thoughts as to what this is?  On previous trips I assumed it was just an immature glandulosum but on closer inspection....   :-\

4 - Adiantum?

5 - Madeiran dandelion (sorry name escapes me on this early morning)

6 - Echium
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 07:22:25 AM by KentGardener »
John

majallison

« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2011, 11:48:59 AM »
Your photo no.3 looks like it could be Aichryson villosum, whilst I think your Madeiran dandelion is Sonchus fruticosus.

I've been enjoying your blog.
Malcolm A.J. Allison, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
http://www.malcolmallisonplants.com/

majallison

« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2011, 11:53:45 AM »
And Echium nervosum last pic.
Malcolm A.J. Allison, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
http://www.malcolmallisonplants.com/

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2011, 05:30:07 PM »
A few plants along the way.

4 - Adiantum?

Yes, it is Adiantum reniforme.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2011, 05:38:56 PM »
lovely pictures, they are a good tonic ,much better than looking outside at the permant gloom and general dankness !
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2011, 03:43:32 PM »
Tuesday 4th January

Today we all agreed that a coach trip to the North and East of the Island would be good as we haven't done that trip for a few years.  The coach was due to leave at 9am but was late leaving because two people hadn't turned up.  This was good for us as the missing couple had reserved the front seats of the coach so mum and dad were able to move and occupy these seats with their better view instead. We were blessed with glorious sunshine for the majority of the day which made the trip all the more enjoyable.  Pictures 1 to 9 various shots from the day - if anyone wants more info on any please ask (I haven't got my notes with me in the internet cafe right now ::)).

pic 10 - On the return from Santana dad suggested I sit with mum up front so that I could enjoy the mountain views on the way back!
John

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2011, 03:57:43 PM »
A few plant pictures taken along the way.

1 - Goodyera macrophylla lowe  (I have still to be there when this is in flower - I am always too late or too early!)

2 - Carpobrotus edulis ?

3 - Brugmansia

4 - Woodwardia

5  -tree fern (I can never remember which is which!)

6 - Aeonium

7 & 8 - not plants but another of the over the top nativity scenes you see all over the island.  This one made me laugh because of the angel in the tree about to be pitch forked!  And the wise man (who was obviously a lady in a previous life but now has a white beard!   ;D)

John

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal