We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: January 2011 - Southern Hemisphere  (Read 11634 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
January 2011 - Southern Hemisphere
« on: January 01, 2011, 07:48:30 AM »
Howdy All,

Summer has definitely arrived in full this week here in Canberra, Australia.  Mid 30s (oC) here yesterday and today, so rather toasty.

Some wonderful things flowering here at the moment......

Clerodendrum bungeii is new to me in 2010.  I just love the wonderful ball of pink flowers.

One of my Hydrangeas, this one a lace cap in blue.  So nice in summer.

A couple of Liliums, one a yellow trumpet hybrid and the other Lilium (OT) 'Orania'.  Gorgeous perfumes pervading the back garden at present.  ;D

And lastly for today, a Mimulus species.  I've not had much to do with the perennial Mimulus, but this one I've had for a couple of years in a pot.  Looks to be a healthy spreader, so I'm probably going to keep it confined to a pot unless it escapes out the bottom.  Such a great orange to the flowers.  I have a second one, with I think is red from memory (not in flower this year as yet).
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 11:29:30 AM by Paul T »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

arillady

Re: January 2011 - Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 10:09:37 AM »
Yesterday was a real stinker here in Keyneton, South Australia - around 40C. Today to start the new year it was quite a pleasant high 20Cs.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 11:28:02 AM »
Yesterday was a real stinker here in Keyneton, South Australia - around 40C. Today to start the new year it was quite a pleasant high 20Cs.
I would certainly prefer high 20Cs! Bay the way, we have +3C and that's way better than -10C we had.
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 11:33:04 AM »
Pat,

I'm glad you didn't get the 43'C I had heard forecast for Adelaide for today.  Not fun at all.  40'C is bad enough though. :o  High 20s would be nice after that though.  ;D

To those who were in earlier, I've added the pics I originally intended to.  I seem to get sporadic SQL database errors when trying to load pics.  Perseverence usually pays off, but no idea why it is happening.  At least I got my promised pics posted.  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 11:34:07 AM »
Lovely colours Paul
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 11:35:19 AM »
David,

Yes, beautifully bright and sunny, aren't they!?  ;D ;D  Not a snowflake in sight.  ;)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Hoy

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 11:37:18 AM »
Pat,

I'm glad you didn't get the 43'C I had heard forecast for Adelaide for today.  Not fun at all.  40'C is bad enough though. :o  High 20s would be nice after that though.  ;D

To those who were in earlier, I've added the pics I originally intended to.  I seem to get sporadic SQL database errors when trying to load pics.  Perseverence usually pays off, but no idea why it is happening.  At least I got my promised pics posted.  ;D
I am experiencing the same problem, Paul! It's time consuming >:(

But your lilies were worth waiting for however!

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 11:39:07 AM »
Trond,

Thanks for letting me know.  Nice to know it isn't just me getting the errors.

I'm glad you liked the Lilium.  I have quite a few of them coming out at present, particularly with the heat we're getting. 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 11:47:43 AM »
Thanks for letting me know.  Nice to know it isn't just me getting the errors.

Unfortunately this "error thingy" is a problem that many of us are suffering at the moment.... I believe it is due to pressure of traffic on the server. Perhaps when the January sales are over and the general frenzy of internet traffic dies down we will return to a more steady posting service.  :-X
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 12:30:15 PM »
Thanks Maggi.

It isn't a particularly major problem, just a bit of a delay and having to try a few times when posting pics.  Doesn't seem to be a problem with normal posting thankfully.  You can get the pics up in the end, so that is the main thing.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 08:16:51 PM »
It's worth all your persistence to see a breath of summer. Hope none of our forumists are under water, the floods look pretty awful.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2011, 09:19:13 PM »
Anne,

Thankfully a thousand km from here (more or less).  Such a slow flooding for some areas too.... one of the towns they were saying had water through the streets and it was rising, but the peak wouldn't be until Wednesday!!!!  :o  Such flat land that it spreads out and moves so slowly, but I'd never realised that it could take 4 days to peak, and then who knows how long to disappear again.  Any floods we have around Canberra are quick and dirty, here and gone again within 24 hours or so.  I never appreciated how different that is to some areas until now. :'(
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 09:48:58 AM »
Heard on the news that the floods in Queensland cover an area the size of France and Germany combined. It's this kind of stuff that puts a perspective on how large a country Australia is.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Hoy

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 10:08:58 AM »
Heard on the news that the floods in Queensland cover an area the size of France and Germany combined. It's this kind of stuff that puts a perspective on how large a country Australia is.
And I thought Australia is an island ;D

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 10:10:25 AM »

For sure David and when it is reported that water will enter most homes of the city of Rockhampton despite them being built well above the ground in typical Queensland style it also gives one an idea of the depth of the flooding.

A little bit of colour to raise the spirits .

Currently flowering --NZAGS seed Sept 2007 --Habranthus tubispathus.

Cheers Dave.
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal