We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: January 2011 - Southern Hemisphere  (Read 11874 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: January 2011 - Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2011, 08:08:56 AM »
And some non-Lilium things in flower for me now.....

Cyanella hyacinthoides.  A first flowering for me from seed.  Long flowering stem (probably not in enough sunshine) with lots of flowers spread out along it.

A new Eucomis I bought yesterday.  Probably a bit pinker than in the picture.  I think it is pinker than anything I already have (mine are still only in bud as yet) so I just had to buy it.  ;D

A red form of Gladiolus dalenii (or hybrid)

The Mandevilla laxa has started flowering, and will flower now until about May.  Such a lovely delicate perfume to it, which spreads beautifully but is never cloying.

A phalaenopsis orchid, the first one I have ever managed to get to throw up a flower spike other than the one I bought it with.  I am VERY pleased with finally managing to do it.  This one is almost black, with a white edge.  Smaller flowers than the big showy ones, but I had to get it for the colour.  The pics doesn't really do it justice.  A very nice orchid. 8)

And lastly for today a Rhododendron, this one a Vireya that I am growing outside here :o just under the eaves and with no more protection than that.  This is the first time it has flowered for me.  Such a beautiful perfume to it as well.  I don't know whether I should put this into the Rhodo area as well, just to show that they can grow hardier than many (well me anyway) probably think they can.  ;)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2011, 10:16:54 PM »
I've just been told that the place is inundated due to a cloudburst but at least it hasn't gotten into the house!
Now I'm off home to inspect the damage!
cheers
fermi
This was the main damage:
A nice creek?
261029-0

No, our driveway!
261031-1

The Campaspe River (at the bottom of our street) is at flood levels, but fortunately though we now have river views (!) from our balcony we are well above the flood level!
At least we won't be under water the way so many properties are in Queensland.
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2011, 10:26:12 PM »
Fermi,

So you can now add "Le Grande Canyon" as one of the features at your place.  ;D  Apparently there are flood watches in place at present in Qld, Vic, Nsw, Tas and SA, so you aren't alone with your flood levels.  Small amounts of rain here at times, but nothing major at the moment.  I hope your driveway repairs go OK.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2011, 10:38:21 PM »
Fermi, Paul your "summer" flowers are just what I need at the moment! Thanks for showing.
Fermi, glad to hear you are on the high side with all this rain. Hopefully such ditches are not at other places in your garden?
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2011, 02:28:43 AM »
My heart goes out to the thousands of people in Queensland and now in NSW and Vic who have been flooded or even washed right away by unprecedented river levels. While we've had our problems here, there's nothing so disgusting and filthy as mud and sludge to be cleared out of houses, shops and factories. Some people have died (hundreds more in Brazil) and I can't help thinking of the countless cats, dogs, cattles, sheep and horses who have been lost.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Ray

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2011, 09:44:11 AM »
A few things flowering now,bye Ray
Ismene Sulphur Queen
Lycoris sprengeri
Cypella coelestri
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 09:47:34 AM by Ray »
Ray Evans
Colac
Victoria Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2011, 10:51:11 AM »
Ray,

Well done on the Sulphur Queen.  Mine has never flowered for me yet.  And how the heck do you get the Lycoris sprengerii to flower?  Isn't it a bit early for them anyway, or is it just somewhat confused (like the rest of us are) by our somewhat confused weather?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Ray

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2011, 01:09:44 AM »
Hi Paul,my Sulphur Queen has done a lot better once I moved it to a position where it
received plenty of water when its in growth.Have no idea why the Lycoris flowered,
its only flowered a couple of times in 20 odd years, not a plant I would recommend to anybody.bye Ray
Ray Evans
Colac
Victoria Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2011, 07:51:17 AM »
Some more flowerings at present......

Firstly, some Liliums...... 'Black Beauty' (the 4N version), Lilium henryi, 'Leslie Woodriff', 'Regal Star' (although the gold edged one under that name here in Aus apparently isn't correct?).

Enjoy.

Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2011, 07:58:27 AM »
And a couple of non-Liliums.....

My "hedge" of Agapanthus at the front of my side garden near the road.

A double white Hibiscus syriacus has started into flower in the last couple of weeks.

When I get the chance, I'll also put some stuff into the Orchid section and perhaps my old Botanic Gardens topic as well if I get the time.  Not a lot in each, but I took a few photos yesterday.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 08:00:01 AM by Paul T »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2011, 08:26:19 AM »
Hi Paul,
I wondered what the "new" lilium with a label I could make out as "Las..." was! Now I know it's "Leslie Woodriff"
261623-0

Also an upright Oriental called "Starfighter" (perhaps derived from "Star-gazer"?)
261625-1
and the next day a bit more open
261627-2

"Pappus Beauty" has done really well this year - must've been all that rain in November!
261629-3

An unnamed "Serendipity-Mix" Trumpet - a bit like "Moonlight"
261631-4

Cyclamen purpurascens which I still grow in a pot (but it doesn't always sit up on this fence-post!)
261633-5
cheers
fermi
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 08:27:52 AM by fermides »
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2011, 09:54:58 AM »
Fermi,

That 'Pappus Beauty' is impressive.  Looks like a similar sort of breeding to Leslie Woodriff perhaps?  Certainly in the pic it superficially resembles it.  I noticed some flowers on one of the Cyclamen purpurascens here as well in the last few days, but haven't remembered to photograph it.  Nice to see yours. 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2011, 05:33:27 PM »
Fermi and Paul,
Thanks for the lilies! I would love to grow more lilies but at home snails and slugs devastate the plants and at my summerhouse deer, sheep and lily beetle do the same :'(
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2011, 06:45:57 AM »
Fermi , a few photos from the Lilium Show at Ferny Creek Hort . Sos . last weekend .
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2011, 06:57:53 AM »
I have never seen such lush Hydrangeas , but then we had the coolest and wettest spring and summer in the 35 years I have lived up here in the Dandenong Ranges . There was also a Japanese Tea Ceremony in which one could take part . -high quality green tea -very fresh and airfreighted every few days , rather bitter and an aquired taste . Also various Ikebana demontrations .
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal