We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen 2011  (Read 43828 times)

Gerry Webster

Re: Cyclamen 2011
« Reply #180 on: September 10, 2011, 09:37:58 PM »
It can't be 'Tilebarn Jan' because it wasn't vegetatively propagated. If I was a Nurseryman maybe it would be called Cyclamen mirabile 'Dave's Form' ;D Highly likely my plant will never be vegetatively propogated so perhaps I should label it simply as Cyclamen mirabile and just regard it as a rather nice form?

David, not necessarily true. One of my best friends is taxonomist and co-author of the International Code of Nomenclature of Cultivated plants. Contrary to what I thought he told me that cultivars CAN be propagated by seeds as long as the traits that defined the original cultivar are still present. Cultivars are plants or a group of plants that are selected for specific and unique traits. If the seedlings of the original cultivar are identical in appearance to the parent and have maintained the characteristics that defined the cultivar it is allowed to maintain the cultivar name for the seedlings.

I also used to believe - apparently wrongly - that cultivars had to be vegetatively propagated in order to be entitled to the name.

Incidentally, The International Code of Nomenclature of Cultivated Plants (8th edn, 2009) is now available online. I downloaded a PDF copy today but, unfortunately, cannot remember how I found it. I think it may have been via the RHS website.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #181 on: September 10, 2011, 09:49:43 PM »

Incidentally, The International Code of Nomenclature of Cultivated Plants (8th edn, 2009) is now available online. I downloaded a PDF copy today but, unfortunately, cannot remember how I found it. I think it may have been via the RHS website.

It can be downloaded here: http://www.actahort.org/chronica/pdf/sh_10.pdf    ...all 206 pages of it  :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Gerry Webster

« Reply #182 on: September 11, 2011, 09:35:00 AM »
Thanks Maggi - you are a genius!
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #183 on: September 11, 2011, 01:37:15 PM »
Having watched the comments on naming here are some of my Cyclamen mirable which may cause a few problems.

The first two show a plant with very different shaped flowers to those normally seen,large and cup shaped.Should this be a new species?

The third and fourth are shown using my naming system

third is white with pink nose

fourth is white with slight touch of pink in nose

I selfed the fourth and it has produced one seedling and this is picture five which has one pink flower and two white ones all with pink noses.it does not change colour as the flower ages. There are more flowers to come and it will be interesting to see how these develop. Perhaps more interesting,or not, would be to hear how a taxonomist would describe it.

On another note I have been raising seedlings from my own plants of this species for over ten years and have never had one with pink in the leaves. I have also seen many plants in the wild and never observed this either,although I know members of the Cyclamen Society have reported plants in the wild showing this characteristic. This year three of my one year old seedlings have produced leaves with good pink markings in them.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #184 on: September 11, 2011, 08:02:45 PM »
All very beautiful Tony.  The first one is extraordinary.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #185 on: September 11, 2011, 08:06:18 PM »
I'm very taken with your mirabiles.... the flower shapes are certainly not what one would usually expect, but , by jove, they are lovely. The broad open flowers are a delight. Every one a gem... you must be really peased  8)

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #186 on: September 11, 2011, 08:41:02 PM »
I'm very taken with your mirabiles.... the flower shapes are certainly not what one would usually expect, but , by jove, they are lovely. The broad open flowers are a delight. Every one a gem... you must be really peased  8)

Ashley thank you

Maggi

I am pleased, apart from the seedling, they all originate from seed I collected in 2001. I have distributed seed from the broad flowered one but have never heard any results as to if it comes true.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #187 on: September 11, 2011, 09:24:42 PM »
Lovely forms Tony. I must have another look at mine, this time with a hand lense, the pink on yours is far more obvious than it is on mine.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #188 on: September 11, 2011, 11:26:17 PM »
Lovely forms Tony. I must have another look at mine, this time with a hand lense, the pink on yours is far more obvious than it is on mine.

David

remember mine is not supposed to be 'forma niveum' it is just one I raised from some seed I collected myself. I labelled the pot white so I know which one it is in my collection,knowing it has a bit of pink on the nose.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #189 on: September 12, 2011, 09:03:31 PM »
I had a look with a hand lense and there is not as much pink as I had first thought. What I was seeing was the darker shade of the calyx showing through the petals, having said that there is a slight, very slight, hint of pink on the nose of the plant.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #190 on: September 13, 2011, 04:08:32 AM »
1-5 Hederifolium bed

goofy

« Reply #191 on: September 13, 2011, 05:10:04 PM »
hello again.
after some months I am back here. Had a computer crash.
so was not here for some time :(

insofar here are with some delay 4 pics of my Cyclamen purpurascens:

Cyclamen purpurascens

Cycl. purpurascens cv. Green Ice
(Bravenboer)

Cycl. purpurascens cv. 2000

Cycl. purpurascens cv. albiflora

enjoy.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 02:58:29 PM by goofy »

fleurbleue

• les Jardins des Grims
« Reply #192 on: September 13, 2011, 06:03:50 PM »
Nice foliages Goofy  ;)
Nicole, Sud Est France,  altitude 110 m    Zone 8

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #193 on: September 13, 2011, 06:12:16 PM »
Hi Dieter, good to see you, and your photos, back in the Forum.
Lovely C. purpurascens... one of my favourites.

Roma

« Reply #194 on: September 14, 2011, 10:30:53 PM »
Interesting mirabiles, Tony.  I have one very old plant which I suppose was wild collected.  It as bought in Woolworths as hederifolium, late 70's I think.  I have three seedlings from it.  None of them show any pink in the leaves.

The following is my deepest pink Cyclamen mirabile  so far.  It is one of 7 seedlings sown in 2007 and potted on a few weeks ago.  The parent is one I showed earlier which I grew from SRGC seed as 'Tilebarn Nicholas' but does not have the correct markings.  I call it 'Thin Red Line' to distinguish it from the others.

Another look at the parent 
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal