We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Juno (Scorpiris) season 2011  (Read 54448 times)

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
Re: Juno (Scorpiris) season 2011
« Reply #315 on: November 23, 2011, 09:40:36 AM »
Hans,

what planet are you living on? You simply have the best seasons and the best looking plants around.  I'm packing my bags!  Your garden simply set me afloat.

Schön, daß Du gibst!

Jamie
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
« Reply #316 on: November 23, 2011, 11:56:37 AM »
fantastic, just like in the wild.
well done Hans!

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #317 on: November 23, 2011, 03:11:13 PM »
Thanks a lot for all this very kind comments - fortunately I can grow all this plants in the garden (I am a very bad potgrower :P)

Here the resolution:
The only one who mentioned plants was Fred (weeds)- so congratulations! ;D ;)
Visible on this pictures are apart from Scorpiris Iris of the Sections Oncocyclus, Limniris and (still very small) Reticulata visible - marked on the picture.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 03:14:39 PM by Hans A. »
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

arillady

« Reply #318 on: November 23, 2011, 08:41:32 PM »
Hans the rocks etc are natural or amended by you to create a natural setting?
Yes pots and me do not always see eye to eye either.
Pat
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #319 on: November 23, 2011, 08:54:00 PM »
Who would grow in pots if he can grow what you do in the garden Hans !!  :o 8)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #320 on: November 24, 2011, 11:29:00 AM »
Luc, certainly you are right, but nevertheless there are still some hundreds pots around... :P ;)

Hans the rocks etc are natural or amended by you to create a natural setting?

Pat, in this garden nothing is natural - it was a flat garden with a few vegetables and some bushes like Buddleya, Plumbago and Pittosporum without any stone. Took some work to build in drainage, prepare soils, entering tons of stones, gravel and grit (always crossing the house as there is no other access) and modeling the garden. I am satisfied with the result but the comment of a friend: "removing all the rocks and stones you could plant a beautiful lawn", let me think it looks too natural perhaps.  ::) ;)
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

Tom Waters

• iris geek
    • Telperion Oasis
« Reply #321 on: November 24, 2011, 10:42:32 PM »
 ;D
Tom Waters
Telperion Oasis ~ www.telp.com/irises
Cuyamungue, New Mexico, USA

USDA zone 6

kelaidis

• http://prairiebreak.blogspot.com/
    • Denver Botanic Gardens blog
« Reply #322 on: November 28, 2011, 02:25:37 AM »
Junos are not grown very often in the United States, although the central and western areas like Colorado seem to suit them pretty well: I have grown the commoner sorts for many years. I've gradually obtained some less common species. I grow mine in the ground (I visited Kazakhstan and Mongolia in 2009 and 2010 and was shocked how similar the terrain and floristics were to the Rockies and Western steppe). We grow quite a few calochorti and aril irises: dryness here is the norm: we often resort to the hose with these, believe it or not (at least in spring when we can be windy and dry at crucial junctures)..

As some of the seedlings and odd plants we've finally obtained come into bloom, I shall have to resort to this Forum to help me sort them out: we're not like Britain where you can trot to the nearest SRGC or AGS show and get all the top talent to help you out! I will begin with some of the commoner sorts, and get down to the brass tacks and my questions...hope you all will enjoy these and perhaps help me out with ID's...

1) Iris bucharica 'Alba' (or is it willmottiana nowadays?)
2) One of many spreads of Iris bucharica at Denver Botanic Gardens.
3) Another big spread of bucharica in the Rock Garden
4) Closeup of Iris cycloglossa: never get tired of this one!
5) Iris vicaria (I believe): from a Czech collector many years ago
6) Iris orchoides blooming the first time from seed.
7) This came to us as Iris parvula: not sure it is correct.
8) Iris warleyensis
9) Iris x Warlsind 10) I lost the label on this last one: is this Iris narbutii?
Senior curator at Denver Botanic Gardens, I have rock gardened for over 50 years. Faves include cushion plants, bulbs, troughs, South African and Mediterranean plants and the windy steppes of Asia. The American West. (Oh yes, I love cacti, ferns and woody plants too...)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #323 on: November 28, 2011, 02:55:17 AM »
There are many Forumists who will know better than I do but A) I don't think there is a pure white bucharica as such, but maybe there is. Janis or others will know. B) That is a fantastic display of the "ordinary" bucharica. C) Iris 'Warlsind' is, I'm pretty sure, I. 'Warlsind,' certainly as I had it years ago, not available here now unfortunately. Mine came from van Tubergan back in the 60's and was very vigorous. Have a sniff at it. Mine was scented like a large bunch of violets.

I. parvula is listed in the BIS Alphabetical table of The Genus Iris, as greenish yellow.

The last pic looks to me like something close to nicolai or rosenbachiana but again, Janis and others will know. I haven't seen narbutii in the flesh.

There are definitely some advantages in your hot, dry climate PK, even if, e.g. Cassiopes and Ramondas may not be so easy. ;D
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 03:01:42 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

PeterT

« Reply #324 on: November 28, 2011, 08:04:24 AM »
Junos are not grown very often in the United States, although the central and western areas like Colorado seem to suit them pretty well: I have grown the commoner sorts for many years. I've gradually obtained some less common species. I grow mine in the ground (I visited Kazakhstan and Mongolia in 2009 and 2010 and was shocked how similar the terrain and floristics were to the Rockies and Western steppe). We grow quite a few calochorti and aril irises: dryness here is the norm: we often resort to the hose with these, believe it or not (at least in spring when we can be windy and dry at crucial junctures)..

As some of the seedlings and odd plants we've finally obtained come into bloom, I shall have to resort to this Forum to help me sort them out: we're not like Britain where you can trot to the nearest SRGC or AGS show and get all the top talent to help you out! I will begin with some of the commoner sorts, and get down to the brass tacks and my questions...hope you all will enjoy these and perhaps help me out with ID's...

1) Iris bucharica 'Alba' (or is it willmottiana nowadays?)
2) One of many spreads of Iris bucharica at Denver Botanic Gardens.
3) Another big spread of bucharica in the Rock Garden
4) Closeup of Iris cycloglossa: never get tired of this one!
5) Iris vicaria (I believe): from a Czech collector many years ago
6) Iris orchoides blooming the first time from seed.
7) This came to us as Iris parvula: not sure it is correct.
8) Iris warleyensis
9) Iris x Warlsind 10) I lost the label on this last one: is this Iris narbutii?
1) This looks like the plant known as wilmottiana Alba, a hybred of wilmottiana and aparently infertile
4) is cycloglossa, can be self fertile,
5) is vicaria
6) I think that orchioides has a fringed crest, my plants ( three forms) from Janis all have some fringing. Could it be Iris svetlanae?
7) Iris vicaria (Sini River form?) I hope Janis will correct me if I am wrong, I have a seedling like this with less solid purple than my other Sini plants.
8) is warleyensis
9) I think it is
10) I think this is one of the physocaulons ie the rosenbachiana group.
I believe Iris parvula has a fringed crest, my plant certainly does.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 08:41:54 AM by PeterT »
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

PeterT

« Reply #325 on: November 28, 2011, 08:11:59 AM »
Iris parvula
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 08:29:21 AM by PeterT »
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #326 on: December 06, 2011, 04:39:32 PM »
The first picture is hybrid known under name "willmottiana alba" (no willmottiana seem to be included in its parentage)
Under name I. orchioides really is Iris svetlaneae
I don't think that I. parvula is correct - looks very different. I haven't courage to name it Iris vvedenskyi, never seen by me - too robust, and colour didn't match - I. vvedenskyi was collected only once (type collection) in North Kugi-tang Mountains that are the natural border between Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan. In its original description it is compared with I. linifolia as more yellow colored and with an orange blotch on the falls and entire (crenate) crest. May be knowing source from where you got this one could help in identification. And how looks additional roots?
The last is Iris narbuttii.
Janis
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 05:03:09 PM by Janis Ruksans »
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #327 on: December 06, 2011, 05:07:47 PM »
Under name of parvula most likely is beautiful form of Iris vicaria. Was in some way blinded by it's beauty. All features respond to this one. Fortunately identification of Juno's by pictures is much more easier than in Crocuses.
Janis

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #328 on: December 08, 2011, 03:15:22 PM »
Visiting my greenhouse today (after few days interruption) was shocked seeing first Juno iris in flowers - Iris rosenbackiana from Vahsh, Tadjikistan. Never before so early, although this one is the earliest of rosenbackianas. Other flowers from today in reticulata iris entry.
Janis

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #329 on: December 08, 2011, 03:31:26 PM »
The Iris rosenbachiana from Vahsh is quite exquisite. A real pleasure to see. Thank you, Janis  8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal