We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: YES!!! The "I'm So Happy!" thread - 2011  (Read 87226 times)

Casalima

• Not lost in translation
Re: YES!!! The "I'm So Happy!" thread - 2011
« Reply #105 on: February 04, 2011, 10:02:32 PM »
I know what you're talking about, Paul!
Rananculus and Ranunculus rule, but Calvin and Hobbes definitely rule too!!
Chloe, Ponte de Lima, North Portugal, zone 9+

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #106 on: February 04, 2011, 10:08:54 PM »
Whew!  Thank goodness I wasn't imagining it.  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #107 on: February 04, 2011, 10:29:41 PM »

Don't blame me ... blame Mr. Tyerman and dear Chloe!
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #108 on: February 04, 2011, 10:32:38 PM »
The voice is all wrong.  It isn't how he sounds in my head at all.  He shouldn't sounds like an adult.

I didn't realise that people are now producing animated Calvin and Hobbes?  Not quite the same as the comic strip.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #109 on: February 05, 2011, 09:47:56 AM »
Calvin and Hobbes

Don't they make tee shirts ???
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #110 on: February 05, 2011, 10:41:02 AM »
Calvin and Hobbes

I thought that was Tetley's?   ::)
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #111 on: February 05, 2011, 11:12:47 AM »
David,

Er.... Abercrombie and Fitch?

Although I wouldn't mind a Calvin and Hobbes T-Shirt.  Calvin's esoteric view of the world is rather cool...... hmmmm.... perhaps that should be egocentric. :-\  He is a kid after all, and they can say all the coolest things without getting into trouble as much. ;D

I used to own a T-shirt with the slogan "How much can a Koala bear" under a picture of a couple of Koalas stoned (complete with vacant expressions and bloodshot eyes, which I guess is how a lot of people think of Koalas anyway isn't it?  :D) from smoking rolled up gum leaves.  The fascinating thing was that my mother bought it for me.  I often wondered whether she knew what she was buying, because it was so unlike my straight-laced tee-totaller mother.  ;)

Ah, but I digress.  Sorry. ::)  Well this is the I'm so happy topic, so I think we can wax lyrically on unrelated topics in here can't we?   :P
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Casalima

• Not lost in translation
« Reply #112 on: February 05, 2011, 01:31:11 PM »
Although I wouldn't mind a Calvin and Hobbes T-Shirt.  Calvin's esoteric view of the world is rather cool...... hmmmm.... perhaps that should be egocentric. :-\  He is a kid after all, and they can say all the coolest things without getting into trouble as much. ;D
Bill Watterson, the creator of Calvin and Hobbes, is known for refusing to merchandise the comic strip, so only homemade or pirated t-shirts, I'm afraid, Paul. This lack of merchandising is presumably one of the reasons why they are less well-known than some other comic strip figures.
Chloe, Ponte de Lima, North Portugal, zone 9+

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #113 on: February 05, 2011, 04:29:16 PM »
David,

Ah! yes, those are the fellas, I was close though ;)  The other lot I was thinking of are the ones who have shops in designer outlets that I've never seen anyone buy anything from. They sell expensive perfume and things like that.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #114 on: February 05, 2011, 04:30:26 PM »
Calvin and Hobbes

I thought that was Tetley's?   ::)

Nah! they make bitter, or used to in the good old days. ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #115 on: February 05, 2011, 11:29:47 PM »
2011 is over a month old - its time we got happy :)

Start with this link if you need something to smile at.

http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/programs/2011/01/22/scripts/jokes.shtml

I tried these out on Jacinta but we had to stop 'cos her stitches hurt ....

A man thanked God for giving him a wife and he asked God, "Why did you make her so beautiful?"
The Lord said, "So you could love her, my son."
The man said, "But why did you make her so stupid?"
"So she could love you, my son."

Marriage is like a deck of cards.
You start out with two hearts and a diamond; and you end up wishing you had a club & spade!

Do you really believe your husband when he tells you he goes fishing every weekend? Maybe he is having an affair.
I know he's fishing because he never comes back with any fish...

Marriage and death are two different things. They are very different.
When you're dead, you don't wish that you were married.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #116 on: February 06, 2011, 08:00:46 AM »
Tony,

Or you could mosey on over to the 2011 topic that we've been using for the last month, that you obviously haven't had the benefit or viewing!!  ;D ;D

http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=6453.0

And my wife and I both loved those jokes.  Very, very good!!  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #117 on: February 06, 2011, 08:05:31 AM »
David,

Ah! yes, those are the fellas, I was close though ;)  The other lot I was thinking of are the ones who have shops in designer outlets that I've never seen anyone buy anything from. They sell expensive perfume and things like that.

David,

Close, but no cigar (or in this case... no designer T-shirt!!  :P)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #118 on: February 06, 2011, 09:33:11 PM »
I remember Kit Grey-Wilson being really proud of his daughter calling snowdrops Galanthus when she was about two....

I was very impressed that Roger could tell an erythronium from an iris. And he was only 60! 8)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #119 on: February 06, 2011, 10:57:24 PM »
Got this today, I liked the sentiments and hope you like it too - seemed apt for a Sunday ;D

Let us give thanks
Original by Max Coots, changed a bit by Deni Bown

Minister:  Let us give thanks for the bounty of people.  For children who are our second planting, and though they grow like weeds and the wind soon blows them away, may they forgive us our cultivation and fondly remember their roots. Let us give thanks:
Congregation (left): For generous friends, with hearts and smiles as uplifting as flowers;
Congregation (right):  For feisty friends as tart as apples;
Minister:  For old friends who, like cucumbers and spring onions, keep reminding us that we have them, and for brief but delightful acquaintances who, like ripe peaches, are here today and gone tomorrow;
Congregation (left):  For crotchety friends, as sour as rhubarb and as deep rooted;
Congregation (right):  For handsome friends, as gorgeous as eggplants and as elegant as a row of corn, and others as plain as potatoes and as good for you.
Minister:  For funny friends who are silly as Brussels sprouts and as amusing as Jerusalem artichokes, and serious friends, as complex as cauliflowers and organised as onions.
Congregation (left):  For friends as unpretentious as cabbages, as subtle as asparagus, as persistent as mint, as reliable as chard, and who, like parsnips, can be counted on to see us through the winter;
Congregation (right):  For old friends, nodding like sunflowers in the evening time, and young friends coming on as fast as radishes;
Minister:  For loving friends, who wind around us like tendrils and hold us, despite our blights, wilts and withering.  And finally for those friends now gone, like gardens past that have been harvested, and who fed us in their time that we may enjoy our gardens thereafter.
Congregation (left & right):  For all our friends, we give thanks.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal