We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: YES!!! The "I'm So Happy!" thread - 2011  (Read 89543 times)

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
Re: YES!!! The "I'm So Happy!" thread - 2011
« Reply #1050 on: December 09, 2011, 03:47:32 AM »
I'm quite into aristolochias and one I grew quite well was A. clematitis. I passed one on to a neighbour, but said person didn't acknowledge receiving, far less thank me for it and I didn't ask. My interest stems from the butterflies that use it as foodplants. A. clematitis is the foodplant for the European festoons (Zerynthia spp.). My favourite butterflies, the birdwings, feed on tropical Aristolochia vines like A. tagala, foodlplant of the Cairn's birdwing (Ornithoptera priamus euphorion). Many species of these tropical Aristolochia vines are named after the butterfly that feeds on them. My ambition is to visit Popondetta in PNG to see the world's largest birdwing: Queen Alexandra's birdwing (Ornithoptera alexandrae), which feeds on Pararistolochia alexandriana. The butterfly is a Cites Appendix 1 species so cannot be collected alive or dead. This may or may not be a good thing as farming other rare species has raised their profile and they are now much commoner than 20 years ago. Make them worthless to the local economy and they will be ignored or worse. A way of getting a beautiful specimen is here:  http://www.butterflyreplicas.com/ A friend has offered to fund a trip to PNG, so here's hoping? 8)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #1051 on: December 09, 2011, 08:48:58 AM »
If you'd like to try A. longa Anthony, I'll have some fresh seed in about a month. The flowers are like little green meerkats and it scrambles over anything handy, a shrubby salvia, in my case.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #1052 on: December 09, 2011, 09:48:48 AM »
I'd love to Lesley. I have a tropical one when I used my next door neighbour's greenhouse in the early 70s. It had a huge flower, but when it opened the smell was rather like that of a long dead sheep and some! :P :o You couldn't go into the place for days! I'm only grateful that the neighbour, who was in fact my old high school RE teacher and rejoiced in the name Charles Brown, but we always called him Joshua. His daughter was a vet and she worked with Alf White in Yorkshire.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #1053 on: December 10, 2011, 06:57:40 PM »
A German  cactus-loving friend ( thank you, Hans J!) has related this lovely story from a recent journal of the KauS (Kakteen und andere Sukkulenten).

The editor shared with readers the news that their oldest member was resigning his membership. This chap, who had taken up growing cactus, and joined the society, at the age of 78, was now 110 and found he was sadly no longer able to read the monthly journals. Though he was only able to have a few plants in his nursing home, he still got great pleasure from them every day . It was obvious that the gentleman was as sorry to give up his membership as the club was to say farewell to him... the editor ended by wishing him all the best.... and many more blooms!

What a marvelous story... it seems a love of plants can keep us alive and happy for a long time ..... my wish would be that it could do the same for us all!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #1054 on: December 10, 2011, 08:40:35 PM »
Perhaps at that age the club could reasonably have given him an honorary life membership. :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #1055 on: December 14, 2011, 09:08:56 PM »
A neighbour who does some part time work in a garden centre has brought me four good sized polystyrene boxes which will make some good troughs. I shall need to re-read Ian Young's article, wait for a couple of dry days (in Devon-bah!), and get on with it.

http://www.srgc.org.uk/feature/fishbox/troughs.html#top

Of course I've had a shallow stone sink, purchased from our local tip for 50p, for at least 5 years now, and it's still in the same place I put it in when I brought it home! As I'm constantly being reminded by the other occupant of the house :-X
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #1056 on: December 14, 2011, 09:12:13 PM »

Of course I've had a shallow stone sink, purchased from our local tip for 50p, for at least 5 years now, and it's still in the same place I put it in when I brought it home! As I'm constantly being reminded by the other occupant of the house :-X
It's amazing how these things tend not to move David.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #1057 on: December 14, 2011, 09:45:43 PM »
That's a truism ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #1058 on: December 14, 2011, 09:52:20 PM »
My son's son has a grandad just like that ... barely moved in years.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #1059 on: December 14, 2011, 09:57:56 PM »
..... 'cos he's all butter and lard ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #1060 on: December 14, 2011, 10:07:25 PM »
Not trying to butter him up then, David?

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #1061 on: December 15, 2011, 07:49:00 AM »
The reason why buttercups glow

Plant scientists have discovered the real reason why buttercups glow yellow under people's chins. Researchers found that the flower's unique anatomical structure - used to attract pollinating insects - contributes to the popular children's trick. Researchers discovered that the buttercup petal's bright and glossy appearance is the result of the interplay between its different layers. The strong yellow reflection responsible for the chin illumination is mainly due to the epidermal layer of the petal that reflects yellow light with an intensity that is comparable to glass. The researchers also found that the buttercup reflects a significant amount of UV light. As many pollinators, including bees, have eyes sensitive in the UV region, this provides insight into how the buttercup uses its unique appearance to attract insects.

Nothing to do with butter and lard at all ...
Cliff Booker

SusanS

« Reply #1062 on: December 15, 2011, 08:45:23 AM »
The reason why buttercups glow

Plant scientists have discovered the real reason why buttercups glow yellow under people's chins. Researchers found that the flower's unique anatomical structure
Nothing to do with butter and lard at all ...

very interesting Cliff, do you have a reference for the article please?

Susan
Darren's t'other half

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
Cliff Booker

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal