We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: YES!!! The "I'm So Happy!" thread - 2011  (Read 89547 times)

SusanS

Re: YES!!! The "I'm So Happy!" thread - 2011
« Reply #1065 on: December 15, 2011, 04:47:46 PM »
Thanks for the links.  :)
Darren's t'other half

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #1066 on: December 15, 2011, 09:08:17 PM »
I am not sure that I have ever contributed to this thread, but then I've never had such good reason to do it as now.  Today I retired after 33 years of teaching  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Is that too many smileys?

S'funny - people at work have been asking me "what are you going to DO?"  Little do they know ::)
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #1067 on: December 15, 2011, 09:12:11 PM »
Congratulations and welcome to the club Diane. As I always say the money's not as good but the hours are fantastic ;D You won't regret it.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #1068 on: December 15, 2011, 09:13:19 PM »
Yoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, Diane, The best move ever. I'm three years ahead of you and can vouch for the sense of the move. Have a great time; get out there and have a celebration over the weekend; go a little wild; treat yourself and then, later, you can settle into the sweetness of doing nothing - though, be warned, this doing nothing is a busy time of life.

Have fun; congratulations; best wishes.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #1069 on: December 15, 2011, 09:17:44 PM »
Oh Diane! So, today was the day?
 How exciting..... of course you have so many interests and volunteer duties that you will certainly not be having any leisure time in  your "retirement" and so that word hardly seems appropriate really  ;D

Your wonderful work with the AGS Seed exchange alone is more than enough for most folks as a "job" and I know I speak for a great many members who very much apprciate your efforts in that work.
Perhaps you will have a more relaxed timetable to allow your Midland Diary posts on the AGS site to be written in your own time rather than being squeezed into your few hours of free time  from teaching.
Perhaps you and Michael will just be able to take in a concert or two without a backlog of work piling up..... however things go, I am confident that you deserve this chance to spend your days in your own choice of crazy and ridiculously busy pursuits!

Many Happies, dear Friend! Ian and I send you all our love! :-* :-* :-*  
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

angie

« Reply #1070 on: December 15, 2011, 09:23:44 PM »
Diane I can see by that amount of grins you are so so happy. Enjoy your retirement.

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Martinr

« Reply #1071 on: December 15, 2011, 09:35:39 PM »
Brilliant Diane, I assumed it was next week sometime. Now you can start your new full time job(s). I am soooooooooooo jealous ::) ::)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #1072 on: December 15, 2011, 09:53:10 PM »
Well done Diane. I'm sure you'll enjoy every minute of your new life. But there won't be NEARLY enough time for all the things you want to do. There never is. Especially well done that you have been a teacher, presumably for many years. I am full of admiration for those who cope with the modern young. Doubtless many are great people but some are right pains you know where and teachers are not always supported as they should be by parents, the community or even the government.

I wish you a long and very happy "retirement" doing whatever you want to do. :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #1073 on: December 15, 2011, 10:03:26 PM »
Whoopee Diane!!!  Heartiest congratulations, life begins now!  Enjoy every well-earned second.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #1074 on: December 16, 2011, 01:26:53 AM »
Congratulations Diane. I did the same after 30 years, but got hit with "actuarilly reduced pension" because I wasn't 60 and would need to be replaced! Needless to say, I haven't been replaced and my lab remains empty! That, and the worsening exchange rate means I have to get my qualifications checked (done that) and registered to teach in New Zealand so I can try for supply work.

Changing the subject: last night we went for a meal at a lovely Thai restaurant in Howick. I forgot my specs and was struggling to read the menu. The waitress said they had some and brought a tumbler with four pairs in it. The first pair I tried were perfect! The food was excellent too!
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #1075 on: December 16, 2011, 03:57:17 AM »
Diane , enjoy your retirement as I have for the last 6 years . If you stay in good health it may turn out to be the best time of your life . I'm busier than ever before and wonder how I ever had time to go to work . You may even be tempted to visit all your friends here in the Antipodes  ?You would be most welcome !!

Otto.
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #1076 on: December 16, 2011, 07:02:44 AM »
Diane,
like Otto says, you now have time for some real long distance travelling!  ;D
It would be nice to see you and Michael out here sometime to repay your hospitality (you could also hurry my seed collecting and despatching to AGS to be a bit earlier than this year! :-[ )
Congrats on making the move,
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #1077 on: December 16, 2011, 11:21:04 AM »
Diane
In about 6 months time you will wonder how you ever had the time to work.   I think the words of an old Bing Crosby song sums it up

"We're busy doing nothing, working the whole day through.  Trying to find lots of things not to do".........................................
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #1078 on: December 16, 2011, 11:25:10 AM »
Many many congratulations Diane ... and welcome to the club !   8) ;)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #1079 on: December 16, 2011, 11:52:00 AM »
Hi Diane,

congratulations and join the club. But don't throw away your planners because you'll be busier than ever.

I hope that leaving your workplace won't be too traumatic, it can be a bit of a wrench. But I'm sure there will be lots of things you're glad to leave behind and let others get on with it, if they can.... ;D ;D ;D
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal