We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: YES!!! The "I'm So Happy!" thread - 2011  (Read 87281 times)

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
Re: YES!!! The "I'm So Happy!" thread - 2011
« Reply #195 on: March 02, 2011, 08:08:32 PM »
Enjoyed a super sell-out concert at the Bridgewater last evening ... the magnificent Ray Lamontagne supported by the equally brilliant Secret Sisters.
The fourth time I have seen Ray and he (along with his incredible band; The Pariah Dogs) must be one of the best live acts performing today. Highly recommended.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #196 on: March 02, 2011, 09:27:44 PM »
How could that possibly have happened? There's hope for NZ's stupidly named Black Caps yet. (unless we meet Ireland at some stage. ;D ;D ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #197 on: March 02, 2011, 10:34:16 PM »
How could that possibly have happened? There's hope for NZ's stupidly named Black Caps yet. (unless we meet Ireland at some stage. ;D ;D ;D
Not as stupid as the name of the New Zealand basketball team: the Tall Blacks! ::)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #198 on: March 02, 2011, 11:17:00 PM »
Don't mention the Cricket. ;D ;D ;D

Cricket? What cricket? ::)
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #199 on: March 02, 2011, 11:19:15 PM »
Enjoyed a super sell-out concert at the Bridgewater last evening ... the magnificent Ray Lamontagne supported by the equally brilliant Secret Sisters.
The fourth time I have seen Ray and he (along with his incredible band; The Pariah Dogs) must be one of the best live acts performing today. Highly recommended.

I need to take a look on U Tube Cliff, I meant to do that when you mentioned him before and forgot.

Take a look at The Decemberists ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #200 on: March 02, 2011, 11:42:43 PM »
Well you will have noticed by now Anthony that EVERYTHING centres around the All Blacks, (rugby). They've even managed to get a lot of references one way or another into the coverage of the Chch earthquake. So the BLACK caps are our rotten cricketers, the TALL blacks are the men's basketballers because most of them are over 7ft tall, the hockey team is the BLACK sticks and so so. There are others. I figure the cricketers would play better if they were called New Zealanders. After all Australians (not green heads) play for Australia, Indians (not blue turbans) play for India, literally from A to Z, Zimbabweans play for Zimbabwe. Why are they so afraid or ashamed to call themselves New Zealanders. Aren't black caps some kind of seagull or other bird?

Anyway, I've given up on them and will be cheering on Bangaladesh!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #201 on: March 03, 2011, 05:30:43 AM »
A black cap is a small bird similar in size to a great tit Lesley, so better black caps than..........? ;D

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #202 on: March 03, 2011, 08:25:35 AM »
I don't know, Anthony...... telling people that you're barracking for Great Tits sounds pretty good.  ;)

:P
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #203 on: March 03, 2011, 09:12:09 AM »

I need to take a look on U Tube Cliff, I meant to do that when you mentioned him before and forgot.

Take a look at The Decemberists ;D

Hi David,
The Decemberists are a fine band ... I must get to see them some time.

If you would like a fine intro' to Ray Lamontagne then please try ...

Many other wonderful songs.
Cliff Booker

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #204 on: March 03, 2011, 09:47:55 AM »
I don't know, Anthony...... telling people that you're barracking for Great Tits sounds pretty good.  ;)

:P
That would definitely NOT be complimentary in Scotland. I think the name "Silver Ferns" for the NZ netball team is cool.

Darren

« Reply #205 on: March 03, 2011, 10:44:25 AM »
Will have to try Ray Lamontagne - there is an interview with him in 'Acoustic' magazine this month.

I did buy a Decemberists album once and tried listening to it again recently, great tunes and clever lyrics but SO depressing. If I want melancholy I'll stick to Leonard Cohen. ;)
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #206 on: March 03, 2011, 11:03:33 AM »
Anthony,

Wouldn't be complimentary here either.  ;D  Not the sort of thing you'd usually be hearing at the cricket, that's for sure.

I really like the name "Silver Ferns" as well, and so much more iconically NZ as well. 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Martinr

« Reply #207 on: March 03, 2011, 05:23:35 PM »

Who???????????

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #208 on: March 03, 2011, 05:42:15 PM »

Who???????????

Martin, Martin, Martin ... four sell-out tours of the U.K.; six sell-out tours of the States and Canada; at least two world tours; four incredible albums, an amazing stage voice and presence ... and MartinR says; 'Who"?
Admittedly, Ray is better known in the USA than he is here, but that's because he doesn't aim for the charts or the Justin Bibwearer crew ... please listen to the link above and form your opinion?
Cliff Booker

Martinr

« Reply #209 on: March 03, 2011, 06:02:23 PM »
Sorry Cliff, I lasted about 20 seconds. I won't be rushing off to buy any of his music.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal