We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: YES!!! The "I'm So Happy!" thread - 2011  (Read 87330 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: YES!!! The "I'm So Happy!" thread - 2011
« Reply #285 on: March 31, 2011, 10:25:39 AM »
....... but wooden spoons are great  for stirring the porridge.... :D ;D
Don't you use a spurtle? ???
cheers
fermi
well of course..... but not every cook is as well-equipped as I ... and so may use the handle of a wooden spoon instead  ::)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #286 on: March 31, 2011, 10:30:12 AM »
Definitely chuffed.
Discussed with better half what to do about a set of Conifers in a raised bed. Despite their 'dwarf' claims they were well over the height and girth which the bed could sustain. 24 hours later the bed is clear and the soil removed and replaced with good fresh rich top soil. Empty 6 sq. metres of semi shaded bed to plant up. But that is not the reason for elation.
Discussed with better half what to do about an area of garden nest to the pond. It was overrun with a type of Carex. 24 hours later the Carex is out (hope it is only the rhizome type roots which are persistent. The thin fibrous roots went a long way down.),. Only 20 barrow loads of stuff to go to the recycling yard and only 2 large buckets of pottery and scrap iron in the bin. Dug over and filled up with good clean top soil. But that is not the reason for elation.
Discussed with better half what to do with the Heather bed. They are well past their replace by date and have suffered badly this winter. "That would be a good place for the new crevice garden you wanted, " she says. Now that is the reason for elation.

Edited to add that elation is tempered by the discovery of rabbit holes under the heathers..."born and bred....born and bred eh?

Oh Eric, I was merely going to congratulate you on your estimable demonstration of spousal harmony, acheived through reasoned discussion, when I came back to find your addendum about the rabbits...... a veritable furry fly in your happy ointment. 
Never mind, better to know exactly where the little pests are and be able to fight them on their own ground! 
With all your planned improvements and getting rid of the rabbits,how much better is your garden going to look?  8)

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #287 on: March 31, 2011, 10:35:41 AM »
A nice picture of the stinky toe tree on the UBC site today.

http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/potd/2011/03/hymenaea_courbaril_1.php

johnw
Fascinating!

If this article had been posted tomorrow, then I wouldn't have even checked it out on Google ... I would have assumed the worst!   ;D
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #288 on: March 31, 2011, 12:22:27 PM »
Fascinating!

So Maggi will you make the switch from chocolate to stinky toe?

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #289 on: March 31, 2011, 01:18:54 PM »
I don't think so, John. But that's only because of the dearth of stinky toe trees in the neighbourhood, you understand.  ::) ;D ;D

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #290 on: March 31, 2011, 09:40:47 PM »
....... but wooden spoons are great  for stirring the porridge.... :D ;D
Don't you use a spurtle? ???
cheers
fermi

Thinks: "did I bring mine to NZ?"

You can get 'em here Anthony. :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #291 on: March 31, 2011, 09:44:14 PM »
I may be tempting fate by even talking about them so early on, but I am VERY happy because yesterday I noticed 4 seed pods on Asteranthera ovata. I've looked before after flowers have fallen and found only thinning, shrivelling stems but 4 have retained thick - very thick - stems and have curved downwards as if to spill into the compost. One is already a cm long and they are generally shaped like pods of Ramonda. If they continue to develop and then ripen, I'll mention them later for distribution.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #292 on: April 01, 2011, 06:19:44 AM »
4 sleeps till we fly out! ;D
See you soon!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

angie

« Reply #293 on: April 01, 2011, 10:58:29 PM »
Fermi remember your waterproofs, wellies, jumpers, hat, scarf and gloves. Only kidding the sun will be shining when you reach sunny UK. :-X ;D

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

SusanS

« Reply #294 on: April 02, 2011, 03:55:53 PM »
Yesterday morning, (01st April)  our local radio station read a news bulletin advising people that a polar bear had been seen washed up at Sandy Gap on Walney Island  (About half way down the UK).  Probably carried there on a piece of broken ice from the North Pole. If anyone spotted it they were warned to keep their distance as it would be hungry following it's long journey.   :-X

Quite a few people phoned in to say they had spotted it further inland near the retail park - just coming out if "Iceland"  :D :D

My niece asked if I could drive the long way round as she wanted to see if we could find the polar bear as she has never seen a real one, just the ones on TV.  And if we found it, could we get it some fish for it.   Bless her.

Took me ages to convince her it was an April Fools joke, but we drove the long way round, just in case .....   ;D
Darren's t'other half

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #295 on: April 02, 2011, 05:21:11 PM »
Susan, you should have taken her to Svalbard! Even if you don't see polar bears you would see the small and very tame reindeer there ;)
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #296 on: April 03, 2011, 12:14:34 AM »
I would love to go to Svarlbard. At my local alpine group meeting once we saw a video made by the daughter of a member. She had been part of the crew of a cruise ship in the area. She had incredible footage of a polar bear, on an ice flow very close to the ship, gazing up at her through one of the holes in the side of the ship where ropes go through. Also magnificent shots of Sax oppositifolia, willows and many other small arctic plants.

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #297 on: April 03, 2011, 11:53:43 AM »
Lesley, I would also love to go there - in summer! Has been there in spring (May), had to leave when the snow melted (which happened very quickly) and we couldn't use the snowmobile.

While waiting for an opportunity you can watch this site:

http://svalbardflora.net/index.php?id=1
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

SusanS

« Reply #298 on: April 03, 2011, 05:06:17 PM »
Susan, you should have taken her to Svalbard! Even if you don't see polar bears you would see the small and very tame reindeer there ;)

She would love it, especially if we could also go whale watching on route. 
Darren's t'other half

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #299 on: April 04, 2011, 12:00:17 AM »
Thanks for that link Trond. I think it must be a place of pure magic, and so CLEAN in every way, from the sea, the ground and the air. Wonderful.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal