We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: YES!!! The "I'm So Happy!" thread - 2011  (Read 87331 times)

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
Re: YES!!! The "I'm So Happy!" thread - 2011
« Reply #480 on: August 03, 2011, 09:54:14 AM »
Big row in New Zealand about the price of the new All Blacks rugby jersey. Official price = NZ$220 :o (NZ$180 in Rebel Sport). The argument Addidas put out is it is comparable in price to other sporting goods. True. The new Scotland top is also NZ$180 in Rebel Sport. Good job we got one for James shipped out from the UK, where they are £55 (~NZ$110, or half the price). ;D One of the arguments for them being cheaper in the UK is that the market for an All Blacks shirt would be less marketable there. We that really stands up to scrutiny, doesn't it?! Cross border agreements prevent places like the rugby shop (http://www.rugbystore.co.uk/collections/allblacks/all_blacks_home_rugby_shirt_ss_2011?gclid=CI3cscLesqoCFYolpAodwgvD9A) from sending to NZ, but there are web sites in the US that will. (http://www.worldrugbyshop.com/34519-bk.html) Interesting to note that it is Canterbury of New Zealand that make the Scotland tops, which are half the price in the UK! ::)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 10:27:08 AM by Anthony Darby »
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

maggiepie

« Reply #481 on: August 03, 2011, 01:03:19 PM »
I might be the last person on the planet to see this but if not, do yourself a favour......Jack Vidgin's audition for Australia's got talent.

Helen Poirier , Australia

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #482 on: August 03, 2011, 01:29:17 PM »
Last June we had the longest thunder and lightening storm ever. 47,000s strikes and it went on for the entire evening and into the early morning hours, no spacing between the flashes or the thunder - just continuous. That was the night of the disastrous Massachussett's tornado.

Last night an entirely different sort started at 19:15 and was still a raging hell at 00:45. A friend says it was still going on at 3:00. Started with extremely heavy rain mixed with pea-sized hail for 10 minutes and then a huge amount of rain. This was the variety of thunder that rocks the house from stem to stern, the kind they have in Ontario in the summer heat but those never last this long.  Passengers were stuck on 25 planes that made it in for six hours as ground crews were not allowed outdoors.

Summer t&l is rare in the summer on the coast, usually in the winter and brief.

So why so happy?  The pea-sized hail bounced off the Podophyllum leaves!

Now I hear we are on alert for another round today.

johnw
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 02:22:30 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #483 on: August 03, 2011, 01:53:44 PM »
I might be the last person on the planet to see this but if not, do yourself a favour......Jack Vidgin's audition for Australia's got talent.

Not the last person, Helen... I hadn't heard of the lad. This link is to a song he wrote himself.... gosh!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #484 on: August 03, 2011, 07:07:19 PM »
Good to see that the UK hasn't cornered the market in TV presenters who are all teeth and no trousers.

Sorry but he seemed a precocious child to me who at his age should be out climbing trees, fishing and throwing things at cats!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #485 on: August 03, 2011, 08:22:12 PM »
My elderly cat caught her second mouse this year.  Another one that will not eat my precious bulbs  :) ;D :)

She announced her kill at 3.30 am by making a most dreadful noise - and leaving the mouse on the bedroom floor.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #486 on: August 03, 2011, 10:59:52 PM »

My God! Australia's next Masterchef!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #487 on: August 03, 2011, 11:10:08 PM »

Sorry, but when you compare this with the first time I heard the pure voice of Charlotte Church it really is not very good. Unfortunately, Ms Church has realised if you sing pop it's easy money, but a complete waste of her talent.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 12:04:37 AM by Anthony Darby »
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

angie

« Reply #488 on: August 05, 2011, 03:15:53 PM »
Happy day today, warm sunny and I got a nice parcel from Kurt Vickery Monocot Bulbs.

All nice bulbs, packed nicely, names written that I can read. What more could I want, well maybe some White chocolate and it would make the perfect day.

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #489 on: August 05, 2011, 03:53:48 PM »
It hasn't been that warm and sunny on the other side of the river, Angela!

But I'm still happy.... got a package of bulbs from Susan Band at Pitcairn  and discovered that my Rhododendron auriculatum has made four flowers! After nearly thirty years! I'm not just happy, I'm in SHOCK!

Weather over the last couple of days meant they snuck out without me seeing and the first two flower heads are already battered by the rain, but I'm really thrilled. Pictures on the Rhodo thread when I find where Ian has put the camera. :-\
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

angie

« Reply #490 on: August 05, 2011, 10:04:01 PM »
Maggi that's amazing the time you have had to wait for your Rhododendron auriculatum to flower but like they say sometimes things are worth the wait. Hope it doesn't take so long to flower again.

Babysitting tonight just got Lola off to bed ( she should have been asleep by 7pm ) and I shared all my white chocolate buttons, it will be a early up tomorrow morning.

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #491 on: August 05, 2011, 11:18:35 PM »
I too was happy to receive mypackage of bulbs from Pitcairn Alpines - excellent quality as always.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #492 on: August 06, 2011, 06:36:36 AM »
Good luck everyone with your new plant parcels. Isn't it exciting to get new plants? :D Today at the market I found the old fashioned pure white double :) primrose. I've never seen it before. Luscious scent as well and packed with buds.

Believe it or not Angie, I DON'T like white chocolate. Only the chocolate-coloured kinds.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #493 on: August 06, 2011, 09:38:39 AM »
I too was happy to receive mypackage of bulbs from Pitcairn Alpines - excellent quality as always.

...... and mine arrived yesterday.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #494 on: August 08, 2011, 03:28:15 PM »
Lovely as it was to get my packages from Pitcairn Alpines and Buried Treasure, today I had an even better surprise, two unexpected snowdrop bulbs arrived in the post.  Many thanks ;D ;D
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal