We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: YES!!! The "I'm So Happy!" thread - 2011  (Read 87219 times)

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
Re: YES!!! The "I'm So Happy!" thread - 2011
« Reply #675 on: October 05, 2011, 09:58:12 AM »
Ray, chipping is slicing the bulb into segments from the tip down through the basal plate. Twin  scaling is then cutting those segments again into twin scales with just two pieces of scale attached to a fragment of basal plate. Twin scaling has the potential to produce more bulbils but with a higher risk of failure because of the smaller amount of propagation material involved.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #676 on: October 08, 2011, 08:04:35 PM »
First record I ever bought, in 1955 when I was 12, was "Rock Island Line" by Lonnie Donegan, and that did it! By the time I was 14 I was in a Skiffle Group completely devoid of any musical ability or talent but didn't need an awful lot of either since I played a tea chest bass. By the time I was 16 we were still together and had progressed to playing in "beer breaks" at the local trad jazz club on a Saturday night in Huddersfield. Den of iniquity my Mum used to call it, and she was probably right! One of our number progressed from a beat up acoustic guitar to banjo and eventually to gigging with Acker Bilk; another, a trumpet player (not many skiffle groups had a trumpet player!) finished up in Brighouse and Rastrick brass band, before his "lip" went; a third, our pianist studied music at Huddersfield School of Music and taught for many years. I discovered beer and girls, in that order, and that was the end of my musical career. How I wish I'd carried on and learned the guitar, and now, as my son tells me, "You're too old Dad, your fingers aren't supple enough. But, one of these days........... ;D

That lead many of us to want to find the "roots" of this exciting "new" music

Seems a young John Fogerty went through the same kind of thing

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #677 on: October 08, 2011, 08:24:07 PM »
Oh, go and buy yourself a guitar; you'll have a ball with it. 

I haven't a note in my head and less interest but  my son loves his guitar - sorry, guitars, he seems to be breeding them - and I always am amazed at the amount of enjoyment he gets from playing them. It is a lifelong interest and such a wonderful enjoyment.

The other two sons are similarly interested in varying degrees.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #678 on: October 08, 2011, 09:45:55 PM »
David - your never to old.  Unless you have arthritis in your fingers or are tone deaf, you can still learn enough to enjoy it.  It can also be extremely relaxing and therapeutic.  The physical action of playing some simple chords and listening to the sound can lower blood pressure.  As long as you enjoy what you play, it doesn't matter
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 09:47:51 PM by TC »
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #679 on: October 08, 2011, 09:55:14 PM »
I have just listened to the videos on you tube.  It dawned on me that I have the Leadbelly recording on a 78rpm I bought in Collets Jazz Record shop in London in 1960.

As an aside, a friend of ours thought that Leadbelly was singing "pick a belly button" !
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #680 on: October 08, 2011, 10:33:14 PM »
Unless you have arthritis in your fingers or are tone deaf, you can still learn enough to enjoy it.

Ah well, that's me out on two counts ... and besides, I haven't got the pluck!   :D
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #681 on: October 08, 2011, 11:01:08 PM »
And, of course, Cliff your eyes are not the best of late but, you have a great pair of legs.

You could take up football.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #682 on: October 08, 2011, 11:05:30 PM »
And, of course, Cliff your eyes are not the best of late but, you have a great pair of legs.

You could take up football.

Paddy

I can certainly dribble ... it's an age thing!   ;D
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

maggiepie

« Reply #683 on: October 09, 2011, 02:55:14 AM »
hahaha!!
I should not read this forum just before bed.
Was half asleep until I read Cliff's remark and now feel wide awake.
 ::)
Helen Poirier , Australia

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #684 on: October 09, 2011, 05:59:48 AM »
First record I ever bought, in 1955 when I was 12, was "Rock Island Line" by Lonnie Donegan, and that did it! By the time I was 14 I was in a Skiffle Group completely devoid of any musical ability or talent but didn't need an awful lot of either since I played a tea chest bass. By the time I was 16 we were still together and had progressed to playing in "beer breaks" at the local trad jazz club on a Saturday night in Huddersfield. Den of iniquity my Mum used to call it, and she was probably right! One of our number progressed from a beat up acoustic guitar to banjo and eventually to gigging with Acker Bilk; another, a trumpet player (not many skiffle groups had a trumpet player!) finished up in Brighouse and Rastrick brass band, before his "lip" went; a third, our pianist studied music at Huddersfield School of Music and taught for many years. I discovered beer and girls, in that order, and that was the end of my musical career. How I wish I'd carried on and learned the guitar, and now, as my son tells me, "You're too old Dad, your fingers aren't supple enough. But, one of these days........... ;D

That lead many of us to want to find the "roots" of this exciting "new" music

Seems a young John Fogerty went through the same kind of thing

My first record was "Do Wah Diddy Diddy  Dum Diddy Do" as covered by Manfred Mann. My first LP was "A Hard Day's Night".
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

angie

« Reply #685 on: October 11, 2011, 09:18:55 PM »
Had a really enjoyable day, went to pick up some plants today at Ian Christies. Me and two of my friends ( Helen & Carol were treated to lunch which was unexpected. The sun was shinning and Ian showed us his new areas. There is always something to temp you and you come away with lots of ideas. Not only did we get lunch but Ian gave us all some lovely Daphne's and also gave us each a very special plant.
Even though Ann was very busy getting all the orders ready she still took the time to give us a lovely lunch which we really enjoyed, off course I had to have two pieces of cake, which were lovely I might add  ;D
See how generous Scottish folks are, not only did we get our tummies filled but went away with gifts. We are so lucky to have wonderful plants people like the Christies are.
Thanks Ian and Ann for a lovely day.

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

jandals

• the waddleler
« Reply #686 on: October 17, 2011, 09:21:07 AM »
It's raining  ;D ;D ;D

Yabba dabba do
seed picker from Balclutha NZ

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #687 on: October 17, 2011, 09:48:09 AM »
You forgot the word "again". :(
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #688 on: October 17, 2011, 10:16:03 AM »
"Again" doesn't apply down here Anthony, from now until late summer it will be drought all the way. I'll be buying water again very soon.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #689 on: October 17, 2011, 10:26:24 AM »
There is a column in the weekly "Listener" magazine called "Life in New Zealand", snippets from assorted newspapers and magazines. These made me smile today when my new issue arrived.

Nude man throws balls at cars.

I arrested one 15 year old disorderly youth, took another 15 year old home to his parents who couldn't talk or walk properly due to excess alcohol consumption.

If the antibiotics don't work there are surgical procedures that your GP can do to get your toe back on its feet.

About 500,000 copies of the glossy flyer were sent to every ratepayer.

As someone who eats very little processed food I found the taste very salty and not at all enjoyable, unlike my children.

Extreme weather: Storms are likely to play a part in warming or cooling.

His manners were impeccable - he always apologised after swearing.

(and this one, if I could work out what it means -)

About half of the workforce was employed at jobs where at least 70% of workers were of the same gender. "And so comparison across the entire workplace is actually a misleading number from time to time."
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal