We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: YES!!! The "I'm So Happy!" thread - 2011  (Read 89585 times)

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
Re: YES!!! The "I'm So Happy!" thread - 2011
« Reply #975 on: November 27, 2011, 11:23:37 PM »
It's the literal translation of Vaovasamanaia, the Samoan title WP got in 2007.
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #976 on: November 27, 2011, 11:57:05 PM »
Paddy, for real virtuoso guitar playing go to davidrussellguitar.com.  Listen to Spatter the dew and the Bucks of Oranmore. A Scotsman playing two Irish tunes - be impressed at the technique and musicality.
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #977 on: November 28, 2011, 12:07:55 AM »
Car park attendant! 8) Just as well it is not at Sylvia Park, Auckland's largest retail destination. According to the ad in the food court it has over 4000 car parks! :o Goodness knows how many spaces that means! ::)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #978 on: November 28, 2011, 01:37:41 AM »
The one we are using has about 90 car parks, each occupied for an average of about half an hour so about 300 cars per market. I don't have to worry about the street parking as well thank goodness. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #979 on: November 28, 2011, 02:14:03 AM »
Is that car parks or parking spaces Lesley? A car park is generally an area where cars park and has tens of parking spaces, rather than the name for a space for one car.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #980 on: November 28, 2011, 02:47:11 AM »
Parking spaces. Spaces in which to park one's car. Each about 2.8m x 6m.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #981 on: November 28, 2011, 03:24:55 AM »
I like the way parking spaces in our local shopping centres have that oblong, looped double line, giving you plenty of space to open a door, and reducing problem of those careless (or couldn't care less) people who park on or over the line, effectively occupying two spaces.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #982 on: November 28, 2011, 04:33:27 AM »
You'll have to do a photo of those Anthony. At my shopping centre/supermarket park the oblongs are wide enough for a car but only wide enough to walk between two with a shopping trolley, if everyone parks amidships which many don't so often one has to take a long way round the end of the lines to get to the other side. Not so good when it's pouring rain or a strong, gusty wind.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #983 on: November 28, 2011, 06:48:00 AM »
I wish OUR parking spaces were that big.  You couldn't fit a shopping trolley between cars anywhere in our shopping areas...... unless it was a miniature one in your handbag.  :o  It's getting harder and harder to even open your door to get out without nearly hitting the nextdoor car.  There are some spaces now that I would hate to be driving a big 4 wheel drive, as I doubt they could literally fit in them.  ???  Yours sound much more civilised Anthony. 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #984 on: November 28, 2011, 09:34:05 AM »
You'll have to do a photo of those Anthony. At my shopping centre/supermarket park the oblongs are wide enough for a car but only wide enough to walk between two with a shopping trolley, if everyone parks amidships which many don't so often one has to take a long way round the end of the lines to get to the other side. Not so good when it's pouring rain or a strong, gusty wind.
I have never tried to push trolleys between cars parked side-by-side in a car park, and wouldn't like to think of anyone trying to for fear of scratches. I'll take a pic of the lines in the Botany car park. It's just two parallel lines about 18" apart between spaces, with a curve at either end giving it the looped oblong shape, or long rectangle with curved ends.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #985 on: November 28, 2011, 01:09:12 PM »
Paddy, for real virtuoso guitar playing go to davidrussellguitar.com.  Listen to Spatter the dew and the Bucks of Oranmore. A Scotsman playing two Irish tunes - be impressed at the technique and musicality.

Thanks for that, Tom. I've also passed it on to my son. Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #986 on: November 28, 2011, 01:48:33 PM »
Had to share this : seen in the Flemish Forum..... a  Saxifraga-loving member's  description, to rival the Croconuts, I think.... he's a Saxifrolic   ;D

Now this may be a description for the Saxy Gang that has been around for a while... but it's new to me and tickled a funny bone!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

alpines

• Alan's the one with the beard
    • The Alpine Garden
« Reply #987 on: November 28, 2011, 02:39:19 PM »
I've only just seen this thread about David and his new passion.....the guitar.
For all aspiring guitar players, I would recommend firstly seeking out a good teacher....at least for two lessons. They will advise on technique which is the most important aspect of playing well. Poor technique will inevitably lead to bad habits, so the sooner you get this part right, the better.
Secondly, don't waste money on books. Once you have your technique correct, go on You Tube. There are some really excellent tutorials on there once you've sorted the wheat from the chaff...and they are free.
Good luck David, and keep us informed of your progress.
P.S. I sent you a PM.
Alan
Alan & Sherba Grainger
in beautiful Berea, Kentucky, USA. Zone 6
www.thealpinegarden.com
www.KentuckyFlora.com

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #988 on: November 28, 2011, 03:43:47 PM »
Hi Alan, I'll reply to your PM shortly. With my guitar came a free on-line tutorial package, complete with video and sound, and it seems to be quite good. It provides me with a weekly lesson for a full year. Yes, I've been on You Tube and played around with one or two tutorials for beginners and found them useful. I'm trying to strengthen my left hand fingers as well as getting used to very short nails but as I said in my last post I have quite a small hand and fingers so I'm trying to get them to spread a bit. Still I haven't had the guitar for a week yet so I don't expect rapid progress-steady will do me!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #989 on: November 28, 2011, 04:18:05 PM »
Tom and David,

Today is our son John's birthday and he has treated himself to this:

http://www.tanglewoodguitars.co.uk/products/banjomanduke/mandolin/cove/TMASNAT.html

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal