We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: YES!!! The "I'm So Happy!" thread - 2011  (Read 87282 times)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Re: YES!!! The "I'm So Happy!" thread - 2011
« Reply #570 on: August 31, 2011, 09:33:27 AM »
Has Paul T anything to add?  ???
 ;D
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Roma

« Reply #571 on: August 31, 2011, 02:07:38 PM »
My daughter, Yvonne with her Friesian foal, Ben.  Pity he's not in focus.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #572 on: August 31, 2011, 02:43:24 PM »
John, your interest in global news stories is truly amazing.....
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2011/08/29/140036762/freedom-for-yvonne-germanys-runaway-cow-search-called-off

The CBC's has been updating us almost daily on poor Yvonne.  Imagine a 10,000 Euro reward for her capture.  Maggi you'll find it's easier to identify snowdrops by their markings than cows, so I don't expect to be collecting - the euros that is.

BTW CBC's "As It Happens" is well know for following bizarre stories and usually the UK figures prominently.

johnw
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 03:26:46 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #573 on: August 31, 2011, 10:22:04 PM »
I hesitated to comment at all because a recent NZ Forumist hasn't mentioned his wife for a while and I wondered if she had flown the marital coop and had landed in NS and the local authorities had given up looking for her, the situation being termed " a domestic." ;D

So pleased to be very wrong here, and delighted for the Yvonne in question. She looks a very nice - and assertive - cow.

Funny how these animal stories go global so thoroughly. Our own "Happy Feet" (poor sod) the penguin who washed up on a Wellington beach, and after several near death experiences as a result of eating sand under the impression it was food or snow, and after operations to clean him out, and weeks of TLC at Wellington zoo, had the global press present a couple of says ago to farewell him on a ship back south. He is to be released near Campbell Island or thereabouts, only about half way between NZ and the Antarctic so whether he'll have enough homing instinct to land back with his chums, is anyone's guess. But he has a transmitting device attached so it should become apparent whether or not he makes it. The transmitter will fall off when he next moults.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #574 on: September 01, 2011, 12:51:11 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D
I found a seedling up in a pot labelled "Gymnospermium albertii" sown last year! Now to keep it alive and get it to flowering size!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

jandals

• the waddleler
« Reply #575 on: September 01, 2011, 07:29:47 AM »
I hesitated to comment at all because a recent NZ Forumist hasn't mentioned his wife for a while and I wondered if she had flown the marital coop and had landed in NS and the local authorities had given up looking for her, the situation being termed " a domestic." ;D

You may very well think that but I couldn't possibly comment     
seed picker from Balclutha NZ

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #576 on: September 01, 2011, 07:34:27 AM »
Since coming to New Zealand I have really got into that series "Bones".
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

angie

« Reply #577 on: September 01, 2011, 09:17:49 AM »
My friends Helen & Bill Mcgregor ( SRGC members ) are moving house and they have a tiny pond full of fish, they didn't want to leave the fish as the pond was to overstocked. After a few attempts of trying to catch the fish we decided to remove the water lily as this took up nearly all the pond. Guess who got it. I am so happy, you wouldn't believe how hard it is for me to get water lilies established in my pond. Lovely friends aren't they. Oh managed to catch lots of fish once we removed the obstruction.
Here is my water lily now I have to get it into my pond.

Angie :D :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

arillady

« Reply #578 on: September 01, 2011, 09:39:38 AM »
Angie I read your last sentence as you now had the water lily in the pond - uhm pretty small pond till I realised what it really said. ::)
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #579 on: September 01, 2011, 09:58:17 PM »
Since coming to New Zealand I have really got into that series "Bones".

I don't watch it myself, but somehow I have the feeling that I may be in physical danger. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #580 on: September 01, 2011, 10:03:49 PM »

Here is my water lily now I have to get it into my pond.

Angie :D :)

I read it same as you did Pat. I'm getting old but you don't have that excuse. ;D

Angie, quite apart from the waterlily, and it certainly looks like a big, strong and healthy plant, I see you have a very good eye for colour combinations. I very much like the mix of pale green (variegated?) euphorbia and the rich brown plant in a pot behind the lily. What is that plant please? The combo looks very good. I love green but also love all the other leafy colours which add so much interest to our gardens.

angie

« Reply #581 on: September 01, 2011, 10:14:25 PM »
Angie I read your last sentence as you now had the water lily in the pond - uhm pretty small pond till I realised what it really said. ::)

Pat the pond that it came out of wasn't much bigger than the blue container.

Lesley it's a Dahlia.  It was on a bargain bench for £1, no name I just liked it for the colour of it's leaves, it has a lemon flower.
Lily in pond, what a weight it was. Lowering it down was hard work. Never fell in this time. I hope we get some sunshine next year for it to flower.

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

johnw

« Reply #582 on: September 01, 2011, 10:38:25 PM »
Yvonne DID come home today!   ;D

johnw

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #583 on: September 01, 2011, 11:19:48 PM »
Where, precisely, is home and will she be sent off again? >:( Or maybe lauded like Paul the octopus (who came to a sticky end anyway, didn't he?)

Angie I wondered about a dahlia but wasn't sure. There are quite a few dark-leaved cultivars around in NZ now, mostly dwarf, and bred in Auckland. My own favourite though, is 'The Bishop of Llandaff' which will grow to 2 metres! It's a single, scarlet.

johnw

« Reply #584 on: September 02, 2011, 12:57:57 AM »
Where, precisely, is home and will she be sent off again? >:

She's presently at the farm she invaded but decided to stay. Tomorrow she's off to the Gut Aiderbichl animal sanctuary and will be joined by her beloved son.  She will not be Bavarian wurst.

johnw 

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal