We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: YES!!! The "I'm So Happy!" thread - 2011  (Read 87271 times)

arillady

Re: YES!!! The "I'm So Happy!" thread - 2011
« Reply #630 on: September 23, 2011, 10:55:20 PM »
David the seed was labelled Albuca shawii - I planted it even though it wasn't right. Like my one time of being burnt on ebay when I received seed that I knew was not an onco. I planted the seed to see what they were - one was a holly hock (that was easy from the seed) and the other a salvia - regular sage.
I just thought it might be a regular species of Auricula hence the question. Possibly isn't - all speculation!
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #631 on: September 24, 2011, 10:25:32 AM »
Well done Mark. My son did that for a while and he'd never been so fit. :)
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #632 on: September 24, 2011, 07:05:11 PM »
Four interpretations of one of my favourite songs.

Florence Welch from Florence and the Machine

Julie London

Yvette Johansson

Buffalo Ridge Jazz Band
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #633 on: September 24, 2011, 10:05:08 PM »
Pat, David's right, your auricula is probably a hybrid but it looks very close to 'Broadwell Gold' (which you musn't call it), one of the very finest hybrids of all raised by the late Joe Elliott of Broadwell Alpines, no longer in existence. It looks a beauty - and have you sniffed at it yet? :D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #634 on: September 24, 2011, 10:16:34 PM »
I'm very happy too because I have found a use for the little brown plastic phials that come, one per packet, with the packeted sachets of Nestle cappucino coffee, to which I've recently taken a shine. These tubes have holes in the top and a flip lid and contain the chocolate powder which is shaken onto the mixed coffee. When empty I am now washing them out and carefully draining then drying then - standing them in a sunny place - then filling them with salt. I have 4 so far.

Why I'm happy about this is because I get terrible - excrutiating - cramp in my legs, anywhere from top of them to my toes and the quickest, or only cure is to swallow a little salt, about a quarter tsp, with water. The cramp goes within 30 seconds. I keep one by my bed, one in my handbag, one in a tatty jacket pocket and the other has a roving brief at present. But I'll prepare a couple more as well.

I eat masses of bananas which make no difference, I've tried 3 separate drugs from the doctor, no difference so have given up trying to find a preventive. I walk about 3 kms per day and get plenty leg exercise around the garden as well. So salt it is.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #635 on: September 24, 2011, 10:46:01 PM »
I'm very happy too, because a friend who was able to go up to the NZAGS Show, was able to buy for me a plant of Podophyllum 'Spotty Dotty.' I had it before, gave some away then lost the rest. This one already is in bud. :D'

arillady

« Reply #636 on: September 24, 2011, 11:19:19 PM »
Lesley sniffing was one of the first things I did as I had always read that primulas have a lovely scent - and now I know primula scent :) :)
Yes I do know that you don't give the parent cultivar name - ever on seedlings.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #637 on: September 25, 2011, 09:55:08 AM »
Sorry Pat, I didn't mean to suggest you may not know you mustn't. It just annoys me no end when I send seed in to the lists with ...ex a cultivar name and have the seed list people omit the ex, suggesting the seed will come true and IS that plant. Even if it looks exactly similar, the genes are different to some extent so it can't be the same plant.

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #638 on: September 25, 2011, 10:31:26 AM »

Leslie
I suffered badly from leg cramps and my doctor prescribed Quinine Sulphate tablets  - one to be taken at bedtime.  Since then -no problems

Why I'm happy about this is because I get terrible - excrutiating - cramp in my legs, anywhere from top of them to my toes and the quickest, or only cure is to swallow a little salt, about a quarter tsp, with water. The cramp goes within 30 seconds. I keep one by my bed, one in my handbag, one in a tatty jacket pocket and the other has a roving brief at present. But I'll prepare a couple more as well.

I eat masses of bananas which make no difference, I've tried 3 separate drugs from the doctor, no difference so have given up trying to find a preventive. I walk about 3 kms per day and get plenty leg exercise around the garden as well. So salt it is.
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #639 on: September 25, 2011, 08:34:22 PM »
Thanks Tom, I'll suggest that to my doc next time I see him though if I remember rightly, and it's 6 or 7 years ago now, quinine was the first thing I tried with minimal results. The other two drugs also seemed to work well for a couple of months but less and less as I continued to take them. Roger is tired of me waking in the night screaming and shouting!

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #640 on: September 25, 2011, 08:36:49 PM »
This weekend was our very small Otago Alpine Garden Group Show, held in conjunction with the local Hort Soc and the daffodil show.

One first, 3 seconds, a third and two unplaced. I'm happy with that. 1st, 2nd and 3rd in potted Fritillaria.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #641 on: September 25, 2011, 09:02:18 PM »
Sorry Pat, I didn't mean to suggest you may not know you mustn't. It just annoys me no end when I send seed in to the lists with ...ex a cultivar name and have the seed list people omit the ex, suggesting the seed will come true and IS that plant. Even if it looks exactly similar, the genes are different to some extent so it can't be the same plant.
Apparently no longer as simple as that. If the seedlings of the original cultivar are identical in appearance to the parent and have maintained the characteristics that defined the cultivar then it is permissible  to use the cultivar name for the seedlings.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #642 on: September 25, 2011, 09:37:54 PM »
Is that so Gerry? Fair enough I suppose but one raises a batch of seedlings from a cultivar and there is likely a range of variation so by using the cultivar name for any of them, most people will use it for all of them. Of course it's important to know which "cultivars" are exactly that, forms raised in cultivation which have some different or superior feature from the oriiginal plant, or whether they are plants, often of unvarying species, collected in the wild but given a "cultivar" name in order to receive some award. To me, this practice is iniquitous and should never have been started by RHS or whoever it was who was responsible.

I don't see me progressing very far with THAT argument though.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #643 on: September 25, 2011, 10:14:27 PM »
Apparently no longer as simple as that. If the seedlings of the original cultivar are identical in appearance to the parent and have maintained the characteristics that defined the cultivar then it is permissible  to use the cultivar name for the seedlings.

Gerry, surely that can't apply if the name was originally given to a vegetatively propagated clone which has long been propagated and distributed vegetatively? Doesn't it only apply if the name is given in the first instance to a grex or strain of virtually identical seedlings which then continue to reproduce sexually to give virtually identical offspring? For example, I shouldn't raise seedlings from Daphne bholua 'Jacqueline Postill' and then call them D. b. 'Jacqueline Postill' no matter how similar they might look to the parent.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #644 on: September 25, 2011, 10:53:13 PM »
Martin - this is my understanding of the latest version of the International Code (2009). See:

http://www.actahort.org/chronica/pdf/sh_10.pdf

A cultivar is defined solely in terms of characteristics - origin is deemed irrelevant.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal