We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: YES!!! The "I'm So Happy!" thread - 2011  (Read 87258 times)

arillady

Re: YES!!! The "I'm So Happy!" thread - 2011
« Reply #645 on: September 25, 2011, 11:06:32 PM »
 ::) ::) ::)
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #646 on: September 26, 2011, 09:29:54 AM »
Sounds like that one has transcended to the "Moan, Moan, Moan" category! ;D
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #647 on: September 26, 2011, 11:24:09 AM »
Martin - this is my understanding of the latest version of the International Code (2009). See:

http://www.actahort.org/chronica/pdf/sh_10.pdf

A cultivar is defined solely in terms of characteristics - origin is deemed irrelevant.

You're right. Article 2.12 says you can raise seed of an established vegetatively-reproduced cultivar and give seedlings the name of the cultivar if the seedlings, or a selection from them, has one or more characteristics which are the same as the parent cultivar!! That seems an incredibly dodgy thing to suggest. It might be okay-ish if the decision is being made by responsible and experienced people being very rigorous in their assessment of the seedlings, and even then the principle is still arguable. But what happens if inexperienced individual gardeners with perhaps poor critical abilities start to slap cultivar names on seedlings of long-established cultivars which might to more experienced eyes bear little resemblance to the original? Not to mention unscrupulous growers intent on selling plants that aren't what the name suggests.

Looking at the examples given, I think the article must be intended to be applied to a limited number of cultivars which, unusually, do regularly give a few seedlings (I note that the article states from open pollination, not selfing) that are virtually indistinguishable morphologically from the parent cultivar even though they're not genetically identical. I'm not sure that it's meant to apply to seedlings from ANY named cultivar. But that doesn't seem to be made very clear and can certainly appear to a gardener to give carte blanche to anyone wanting to slap an established cultivar name onto any seedling they think looks a bit like the parent. Seems quite dangerous to me.

I know I'd be annoyed if I raised a superb new snowdrop, named it, and later found that someone else had raised inferior seedlings from it and given them the same name, whether out of poor judgement or deliberate mis-representation, using this article of the code as justification.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

arillady

« Reply #648 on: September 26, 2011, 11:41:08 AM »
Oh dear we did open a can of worms here.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #649 on: September 26, 2011, 11:52:47 AM »
Martin - this is my understanding of the latest version of the International Code (2009). See:

http://www.actahort.org/chronica/pdf/sh_10.pdf

A cultivar is defined solely in terms of characteristics - origin is deemed irrelevant.

You're right. Article 2.12 says you can raise seed of an established vegetatively-reproduced cultivar and give seedlings the name of the cultivar if the seedlings, or a selection from them, has one or more characteristics which are the same as the parent cultivar!! That seems an incredibly dodgy thing to suggest. It might be okay-ish if the decision is being made by responsible and experienced people being very rigorous in their assessment of the seedlings, and even then the principle is still arguable. But what happens if inexperienced individual gardeners with perhaps poor critical abilities start to slap cultivar names on seedlings of long-established cultivars which might to more experienced eyes bear little resemblance to the original? Not to mention unscrupulous growers intent on selling plants that aren't what the name suggests.

Looking at the examples given, I think the article must be intended to be applied to a limited number of cultivars which, unusually, do regularly give a few seedlings (I note that the article states from open pollination, not selfing) that are virtually indistinguishable morphologically from the parent cultivar even though they're not genetically identical. I'm not sure that it's meant to apply to seedlings from ANY named cultivar. But that doesn't seem to be made very clear and can certainly appear to a gardener to give carte blanche to anyone wanting to slap an established cultivar name onto any seedling they think looks a bit like the parent. Seems quite dangerous to me.

I know I'd be annoyed if I raised a superb new snowdrop, named it, and later found that someone else had raised inferior seedlings from it and given them the same name, whether out of poor judgement or deliberate mis-representation, using this article of the code as justification.
And therein is the problem with that article,people will get out of it what they want,so to suit themselves,i was waiting for a galanthophile to comment on it.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Gerry Webster

« Reply #650 on: September 26, 2011, 03:33:40 PM »
Martin - I agree it seems dodgy for all the reasons you give.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #651 on: September 26, 2011, 06:35:17 PM »
This daffanatic thinks so too. Even if seedlings look alike, they can be very different in, for instance, vigour or rate of increase or disease resistance.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #652 on: September 26, 2011, 06:37:30 PM »
I am happy though. I'm potting up chipped snowdrops and narcissus and most have done very well, including one cultivar that up until now has resisted all my attempts to propagate it.  :D
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

arilnut

« Reply #653 on: September 29, 2011, 02:39:49 AM »
Hello friends.  I took an account of the Onco's putting out fall growth last saturday and am pretty happy.
Here are the ones bought or traded for. Next post will be seedlings.

John B

Species                                         # of fans

Lycotis                                           2
Paradoxa Sevan                              3
Gatesii                                           1
Paradoxa                                        2
Susiana  ??                                    2
Elegantissima                                 3
Elegantssima                                 1
Elegantissima                                 5
Gatesii                                           6
Damascena                                    2
Sari                                               3
Choschab                                       1
Lycotis                                           1
Elegantissima                                1
Barnumae                                      7
Elegantissima                                2
Lycotis                                          1
Barnumae protonyma                      1
Atropurpurea                                  3
Elegantissima                                2
Urmiensis                                      1
Kirkwoodii                                      2
John  B.
Hopelessly hooked on Aril Iris

arilnut

« Reply #654 on: September 29, 2011, 03:10:59 AM »
And here are my Onco seedlings growing now.

John B

Species                                    year germinated                                                                 # of fans

Sofarana kasruwana                            2007                                                                             2
Barnumae                                           2007                                                                             3
Elegantissima                                     2007                                                                             4
Paradoxa                                            2008                                                                             1
Paradoxa                                            2008                                                                             3
Paradoxa                                            2008                                                                             5
Paradoxa                                            2008                                                                             5
Paradoxa                                            2009                                                                             2
Urmiensis                                           2009                                                                             5
Urmiensis                                           2009                                                                             1
Urmiensis                                           2009                                                                             1
Sari                                                   2009                                                                             1
Kirkwoodii calcarea                             2009                                                                             1
Kiekwoodii                                         2009                                                                              1
Paradoxa atrata                                  2010                                                                              1
Paradoxa atrata                                  2010                                                                              1
And some Onco hybrids
Acutiloba  X  Choschab                       2009                                                                              9
Acutiloba  X  Choschab                       2009                                                                              2
Dardanus  X  Choschab                       2009                                                                              1
Dardanus  X  Choschab                       2009                                                                              1
John  B.
Hopelessly hooked on Aril Iris

arillady

« Reply #655 on: September 29, 2011, 09:25:54 AM »
You must be very happy indeed John.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #656 on: September 29, 2011, 09:45:45 AM »
Quite a list there, John..... 'reasons to be cheerful', eh?!  :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #657 on: October 01, 2011, 07:54:45 PM »
For your delectation a little bit of Jackson Browne. Wish I could play like him. Just wish I could play :(

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #658 on: October 01, 2011, 08:04:03 PM »
For your delectation a little bit of Jackson Browne. Wish I could play like him. Just wish I could play :(

You are preaching to the converted, David!   :D
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #659 on: October 01, 2011, 09:29:32 PM »
You are indeed David and this one is not about to be converted.

Yesterday at the market we had a string quartet busking. All uni music students I think. Many people said they were the best buskers we'd ever had (up to 10 or so on any morning) and they literally had a violin case full of $5 and $10 notes and a few $20s as well, Many, many gold coins. I was delighted to see very young children absoluely enthralled by the players. A good way to introduce children to the world of classical music. :D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal