We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: YES!!! The "I'm So Happy!" thread - 2011  (Read 87254 times)

Casalima

• Not lost in translation
Re: YES!!! The "I'm So Happy!" thread - 2011
« Reply #945 on: November 24, 2011, 03:46:54 PM »
David, that's wonderful - it's clear how much you love music and it's exciting to be able to at least try to make it oneself (says I, highly lapsed piano player).

My daughter is bubbly today - declaring herself in love with new piano scores that came in the post today (no strike at the Ponte de Lima post office, "imagine how much we would lose if we were on strike today" said the postman) - which is a nice thing for a 14-going-on-15 year old to get excited about!!
Chloe, Ponte de Lima, North Portugal, zone 9+

Martinr

« Reply #946 on: November 24, 2011, 05:28:36 PM »
Brilliant David, and the man was right, much easier on the fingers than steel strings as long as the action isn't too high. Making music yourself is brilliant and it's even better if you can find some like minded late starters to play with---as long as they share your taste in music that is ;)

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #947 on: November 24, 2011, 07:02:17 PM »
Well done David and good luck with it!

I was nearly 40 when I got mine. It was a cheaper midlife crisis purchase than a Porsche  ;D

I just went on the fiddle!   ;D
Fiddle D G! ;D
What... "discussion"  ? .. yes, Anthony..... MANY meanings........ ;)

If you mean "conniptions" ... then it's not so new...it's  given as originating in 1830s in  America.
A bit like Lewis Carroll's words then? Invent a good word to fit the occasion. Must use it today! 8)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #948 on: November 24, 2011, 07:40:58 PM »
Thanks folks. Started the on-line lessons and have to admit it's slow going. First section was getting to know all the bits of the guitar; use of plectrum; tuning; and open string notes. Been playing G-B-E-B on and off for most of the day. Maureen going mad!! Now I've completed the first lesson I have to wait a week before getting access to the second (much more GBEB!!) Off to Waterstone's tomorrow for a copy of "Guitar for Dummies".

Sorry to bore all the non-guitarists out there. ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #949 on: November 24, 2011, 07:51:04 PM »

Please don't fret too much, David!   :D
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

angie

« Reply #950 on: November 24, 2011, 08:06:03 PM »

You would never bore us, Its a pity we couldn't hear you. Well maybe not, we might be better waiting to you mature a little  ;)

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #951 on: November 24, 2011, 08:16:30 PM »
Cliff, I set 'em up, you knock 'em down.

Don't think I'll ever mature Angie!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #952 on: November 24, 2011, 08:25:40 PM »
It can't be that bad for Maureen, David...... after all you might have chosen the Tuba, or Violin...... yup.... all in all I think she'll get off quite lightly!  ;D ;D ;)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #953 on: November 24, 2011, 08:36:55 PM »
David, I'm older than you and still learning.  I've been at it for 55 years and still have lots to learn.  Your left hand fingers will eventually develop pads of hard skin and the pain will go.
A word of advice, do not soak your hands in hot soapy water - no dishwashing - good excuse, I have used it for decades. !!  In the bath, keep your hands up out of the water or the skin will soften and you will have to start over again.
Practice as much as you can, preferably in short sessions.  If you feel any real pain in your fingers, leave off for a while.  Remember,you are doing it for enjoyment.
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #954 on: November 24, 2011, 09:14:35 PM »
Well done David, you put me to shame. ::) There's marvellous music for classical guitar, especially from the Spanish and South American composers. I'll look forward to the YouTubes. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #955 on: November 24, 2011, 09:21:11 PM »
Regular (a few times daily, at least to start with) dipping of finger tips in meths will harden the tips and alleviate the pain. My sister did it for years when first learning to play the cello.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #956 on: November 24, 2011, 09:28:54 PM »
I'm impressed mate !! (with what I read at least.... I might be less impressed if I had heard...  ;D :-X ;))
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #957 on: November 24, 2011, 09:58:45 PM »

321319-0

David  all my sympathy goes to Maureen!

A word of advice, do not soak your hands in hot soapy water - no dishwashing - good excuse, I have used it for decades.

321320-1
Never thought of that ;D ;D 8) First thing in the morning off  to the music store.
What a pity that SHE already knows that I am not talented.

Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #958 on: November 24, 2011, 10:58:51 PM »
As I have heard nothing to the contrary the amazing Alice Herz Sommer will celebrate her 108th birthday on Saturday.  She was still going strong this time last year and practising piano every morning.  Just imagine, she studied with a pupil of Franz Liszt; probably the last person that can boast of that, the last Liszt pupil José Vianna da Motta died in 1948.  So David you have plenty of time to master that guitar. She says owes her longevity to optimism.  She may not have grown Drabas but went through far worse.

An inspiring series of interviews at age 105.

http://www.webofstories.com/play/17994

Hats off to Alice!

johnw
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 02:27:51 AM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #959 on: November 25, 2011, 10:16:38 AM »
Maggi, I think she's worried it might get to the serenading under the window stage!

Tom, a useful washing up avoidance dodge there. I think my left hand fingers are going to be a problem. They are short and on the chubby side I think I need to exercise them a lot to try and get them to stretch more.

Lesley, will it work just as well if I dip them in single malt? The guitar might be classical but I doubt if the output will.

Luit, I passed on your sympathy, she said it was well earned.

Luc, I'll get you tickets for my first gig.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal