We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Moan, Moan, Moan - 2011  (Read 74576 times)

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
Re: Moan, Moan, Moan - 2011
« Reply #105 on: February 15, 2011, 05:06:26 AM »
After 16 months unemployment, I was hoping to post on the I'm So happy thread that I finally got a job.  A few weeks ago, I had my first in-person job interview in over a year, with a small start-up tech company just 11 miles from my house.  The day after my interview, which went very well, I received a job offer via email, albeit for only 40% of what I used to make, but I was aware of the low pay to begin with.  I accepted, I need health insurance benefits, so I signed the job offer and sent it in.  The day before I was to start, they sent an email telling me the job was filled, they reneged on the offer, finding someone willing to take even less $ than what they offered me.

The US unemployment rate stands at just a hair below 10%, but what that statistic fails to report, is that there is another 5% who have run out the unemployment benefits so they disappear from the statistic; the real number is closer to 15%.  Desperation and depression sets in once again.
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #106 on: February 15, 2011, 07:34:42 AM »
So sorry to hear that, Mark.
But if they are "happy" to treat prospective employees like that it probably wouldn't have been a nice place to work.
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #107 on: February 15, 2011, 08:39:12 AM »
Sorry to hear that Mark. Don't let the bastards grind you down!
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #108 on: February 15, 2011, 09:36:07 AM »
So sorry Mark, try to stay positive mate.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #109 on: February 15, 2011, 10:01:51 AM »
I'm sorry too Mark but I'm sure Fermi is right and you wouldn't have been happy there. Our system doesn't involve health insurance as yours does. I mean that one is not better insured whether employed or not.

Our lot keep talking about cutting benefits after a certain time but it hasn't happened yet except that those who have reached the possible end have to do retraining or community work or whatever. No-one is left to starve in fact but some come jolly close to it.

As well as the "disappeared" 5% you mention, there's the large percentage, especially of women, who are classed as "employed" because they may have a few hours a week of paid work. It may only be 5 or 6 hours. How can anyone live on that? No advantage to anyone except it makes the govt feel and look good that the unemployed statistic looks better than it actually is.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 10:03:38 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2011, 10:38:44 AM »
They just don't know what they are missing, Mark!

Chin up, chest out, heart resolved, brain in gear ... try, try, try again ... and good luck!
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #111 on: February 15, 2011, 10:50:52 AM »
A really bad experience, Mark and I know how awful you must be feeling right now but the Forumists are (as they are so often) right on the button... you would never have been happy in a set-up with those morals and, I venture to suggest, you wouldn't have been long in that employment anyway... sounds to me like a dodgy company like that is not going to survive for long.  :-X
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #112 on: February 15, 2011, 11:03:52 AM »
sounds to me like a dodgy company like that is not going to survive for long.  :-X

Sorry from me too. It astonishes me that someone with your obvious intellect and skills can't get a job!

It sounds to me rather that you live in a dodgy country that is not going to survive for long...

Stephen
Malvik, Norway
Eating my way through the world's 15,000+ edible species

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #113 on: February 15, 2011, 11:06:23 AM »
Not very fair, Mark
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #114 on: February 15, 2011, 11:08:58 AM »
I left instructions with my mother to keep the bird feeders filled with sunflower seeds. Last night she told me they have stopped coming  ??? She topped up the feeders OK but with wheat. Not a bird in the garden today except the rooks and jackdaws on the grass eating the wheat I dumped
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #115 on: February 15, 2011, 11:26:40 AM »
They're plain stupid Mark !!  >:(
Next time better !!  :D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

maggiepie

« Reply #116 on: February 15, 2011, 12:05:19 PM »
Mark, I am so sorry to hear they reneged on the job, I know how frustrated and feeling down you must be.
Here's hoping the next offer comes soon and is a much better fit for you.

Helen Poirier , Australia

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #117 on: February 15, 2011, 02:49:35 PM »
A heartfelt THANKS everyone; you forumists are the best. :)

Filing my weekly unemployment claim yesterday reminded me I'm soon to become one of the so-called 99'rs (ninety-niners), the long-term unemployed who fall off the radar and don't even count as unemployed anymore.  My sister-in-law works for the US government (US Dept. of Agriculture), she sent me a link to Federal Government jobs, searching on the State of Massachusetts with keywords matching my experience showed a small listing of jobs, all were for $27,000 per year!!! :o :o :P  Couldn't believe my eyes, that's just a shade past the official "poverty level" for a family of four.  Seems the clocks have been turned back 40 years, but not for healthcare coverage, which for my family is currently $18,600 year.

That's the other aspect of the US downturn economy, it's had the widespread effect of significantly rolling back salaries to such a degree, it'll take a decade or more just to regain the losses. Heard a statistic recently stating the average pay for steel workers dropped from $24/hr to $14/hr in the last two years, but people are willing to take the cuts just to keep their job, primarily because healthcare insurance benefits is inextricably dependent on having a job and hugely expensive.
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #118 on: February 15, 2011, 03:05:00 PM »
It's an insidious situation you have there, Mark - Work for whatever peanuts you get offered, and be grateful for it, or you're on your own if your kids get sick.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 08:42:29 PM by Martin Baxendale »
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #119 on: February 15, 2011, 04:03:15 PM »
...................Seems the clocks have been turned back 40 years, but not for healthcare coverage, which for my family is currently $18,600 year.

My God! inspite of all it's short comings we are lucky to have a National Health Service-long may it continue (although I doubt if it will!)

Just a couple of quotes from Nye Bevan who gave it birth.

"I would rather be kept alive in the efficient if cold altruism of a large hospital than expire in a gush of warm sympathy in a small one"

"Stand not too near the rich man lest he destroy thee-and not too far away lest he forget thee"
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal