We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Moan, Moan, Moan - 2011  (Read 74479 times)

angie

Re: Moan, Moan, Moan - 2011
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 01:30:42 AM »
  here in Aus, I always make room for lots of things in my luggage on the way home.  ;D

I know this is true Angie. I've seen him throw out the spare tyre, the toolbox, his lunch, clothing (kept the toothbush) and even Yvonne and the dog, to give more plant room.  ;D ;D ;D

When my mum was still with us she always had a worried look as the car was filling up with plant material.

Sitting at the airport waiting to board, not looking forward to the 14 hour flight and then the 8 hour drive home ( Maggi will drive home safely ) At least I have all your posts to pass the time. Lots of catching up to do and looking forward to it.

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2011, 11:45:38 AM »
Well, I part will my last plants today. :'( Thanks to all who helped to swell the funds for my adventure down under. Two weeks to go! ;D
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2011, 08:22:44 PM »
Not long now Anthony.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

angie

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2011, 08:29:25 PM »
Well, I part will my last plants today. :'( Thanks to all who helped to swell the funds for my adventure down under. Two weeks to go! ;D

Don't be sad Anthony we all promise to look after your plants and will post some pictures for you to see.

Just think once you get settled think of what you will be able to grow over there, by past history we are in for some delights.

Angie  :)

Angie T.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2011, 09:57:02 AM »
Who know what might happen Angie. We are starting off in Auckland and will see where the jobs take us.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

angie

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2011, 11:05:42 AM »
Anthony,

I wish you all well. I wish I was brave enough to leave my home. I would love to live somewhere that would have a warm summer that I could sit out in an evening. You will miss Dunblane as it is in such a lovely part of the country. I never new it was so lovely. We always come down to the late bulb show but never have the time to look around but after leaving your lovely home we had a good look at the area and it was beautiful.
At least we won't be losing you on this forum. Hope we hear all about your exciting times.
Please post lots of pictures once you have time.

Angie :)

Angie T.

Roma

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2011, 09:19:08 PM »
Just noticed today the leaves have all been eaten off the Cyclamen hederifolium under the lounge window.  They were ok on Friday so I thought maybe the deer would leave them this year.  I had them protected with wire netting last winter after them being eaten the previous two years, but was not able to get the protection in place myself this year and had not got round to getting one of my daughters to do it before the snow came.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2011, 05:25:35 PM »
I think my goldfish tank might be home to the polyp stage of a fresh water jellyfish  >:( ??? ???  Im not sure i want tiny jellyfish in my tank. I may have to kill them  :o  ( Or just buy a micro tank for the jellyfish  ;D ;D ;D )
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2011, 05:52:19 PM »
Never heard of them Emma. Any photos or are they too small?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2011, 12:24:14 AM »
Emma,

How would freshwater jellyfish have appeared in your fish tank?  I'd be expecting the goldfish to likely eat them anyway?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Darren

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2011, 08:05:15 AM »
I suspect Emma might be describing Hydra, a freshwater 'sea anemone' lookalike?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydra_%28genus%29

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2011, 08:07:13 AM »
I suspect Emma might be describing Hydra, a freshwater 'sea anemone' lookalike?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydra_%28genus%29

Do you know, a Hydra never dies of old age?
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

emma T

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2011, 08:47:31 AM »
No its not hydra .  I have had hydra in the tank before, and managed to kill the imortal little devils !!!!!
This is forming a mat of interconected polyps on the inner surface of the filter and in the tank. SOmeone on a fishforum belives they are freshwater jellyfish (Craspedacusta sowerbyi) isn't a true jelly fish, but a close approximation

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/jellyfish/freshwater.php
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

emma T

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2011, 08:55:56 AM »
I can photograph the polyp stage, i dont have any free swimming jellyfish yet. I have moved some polyps into a tank will less water movement. This might trigger the polyps to produce meduse, the free swimming stage.

The jellyfish can grow up too 2cm across. I think these might turn into a intresting  new pet . I dont think they would be given a chance to grow in the tank with the goldfish, they eat anything that fits in their mouthes.

I can only guess that they got into the tank on some living plants i bought for the tank a few months back. Thats how some snails and hydras got in a couple of years ago.

emma T

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2011, 07:22:59 PM »
The THINGS  :o :o :o ??? ??? ???  If anyone knows for sure what they are ,please let me know  :)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal