We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Moan, Moan, Moan - 2011  (Read 75740 times)

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
Re: Moan, Moan, Moan - 2011
« Reply #225 on: April 27, 2011, 10:46:32 AM »
Oh to have some bare soil! ::) Our house is rented so I'm stuck with the plants I have. Between the lollipop bushes (worse than lawns as they are three dimensional and an invention of the devil sent to torment me)

;D ;D

Here's the promised pics of the jade plants and lollipop bushes.

I think the lollipop bushes are one of the Pittosporum tenuifolium cultivars Anthony that have been limbed up --you'd pay big money at a nursery for that look. :D
A close up of the leaves would confirm either way.

Watch the pruning,(or else the devil will be after you  ;) ), as in my experience they dislike cutting back onto old wood .

Cheers Dave

Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

angie

« Reply #226 on: April 27, 2011, 11:00:43 AM »
Hi Anthony
That's a huge jade plant, mine one is in a tiny pot.
I like the lollipop trees  :-X but maybe not a row of them . I have or should I say had one but he is looking dead. I would love to live there and grow all exotic plants.
Are plants expensive over there.

Angle  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #227 on: April 27, 2011, 11:22:39 AM »
Will take some close-ups tomorrow Dave. Angie, those ones are quite small. The two by the front door are well over a metre tall! As for exotics - I have frangipanis and proteas too!
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Houseslippers

• Wallet-emptying plantaholic
« Reply #228 on: April 27, 2011, 12:13:15 PM »
You have my deepest commiserations, Anthony. As Angie says, one is enough, already - I initially felt rather protective of my own small money tree in the face of your all-out-attack. I've kept mine in spite of the fact that it never flowers and is subject to regular depressing attacks from mealy bug, caterpillars and snails but staggers on regardless through it all. Your photo reminded me of the protest song someone almost sang:

Lollipop trees, lollipop trees
And they're all made out of ticky-tacky
And they all look just the same;
There are green ones, there are red ones
There are blue ones and there are yellow ones
And they all look just the same
Tony Danford in deepest suburban south London
3 allotments and counting
This year's obsession: Paphiopedilum & Cypripedium

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #229 on: April 27, 2011, 12:49:43 PM »
Thanks Tony. The two at the front door are about to flower. I can't wait! ::)

angie

« Reply #230 on: April 27, 2011, 07:01:18 PM »
Oh Anthony I am so jealous, frangipani. I had one in my greenhouse but I only have a stick left now  :'(
Bought it at Wisley, no chance of getting another one up in Aberdeen.

Angie :)
Angie T.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #231 on: April 27, 2011, 11:48:26 PM »

With a modicum of luck you'll find that money DOES grow on trees. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #232 on: April 28, 2011, 05:11:48 AM »
Oh Anthony I am so jealous, frangipani. I had one in my greenhouse but I only have a stick left now  :'(
Bought it at Wisley, no chance of getting another one up in Aberdeen.

I had to leave two frangipani plants behind. One was a cutting brought back from Bali in 2004; the other was grown from T&M seed. They were on my classroom windowsill at school and can flower in a 6" pot. I had terrible trouble with red spider. The leaves would get covered and the plants would then drop all their leaves and start again! 8) The best answer was the systemic vine weevil killer.

With a modicum of luck you'll find that money DOES grow on trees. ;D

I wish.  :-\ Here are the close ups of the various lollipop bushes plus a view of the plants to the left of my drive and front door. The frangipani is behind Protea cynaroides. The two grey plants with the thick pointed leaves are Agave attenuata. There are some really big clumps of this in some front gardens! The lollipop bushes by the driveway appear to be different from the ones in the back garden.

We have had 5 days rain which has put 4" of water in the jar perched on a spar of my fence, which faces north. Nearby there are settling ponds to settle out sediment in flood waters. The outflow was higher over night, as can be seen by the weed on the barrier above the waterfall. Normally the water just goes down a Z-shaped channel. I've seen two species of shag - the little black (Phalacrocorax sulcirostris) and the little (P. melanoleucos) - perched at different times on that barrier.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 10:47:38 AM by Anthony Darby »

angie

« Reply #233 on: April 28, 2011, 08:41:52 AM »
Anthony I used to keep my frangipani in my conservatory but it always got covered in red spiders, just couldn't control them. Interesting to hear that you used a vine weevil control. I put it in my greenhouse and the tops have went a bit mushy. I have cut it down but whether it will grow again will just have to wait and see.
Love the Agave attenuata 8)
I think I would love gardening over there.

Angie T.

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #234 on: May 03, 2011, 10:28:18 AM »
Hello Anthony

Thanks for the close up pics of the lollipop plants.

They show as i thought that your back door ones are a Pittosporum tenuifolium cultivar .

The different front of the house ones i think are Coprosma --maybe C.lucida

Cheers Dave.
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #235 on: May 03, 2011, 10:44:25 AM »
Thanks Dave. Natives, which is OK, although fewer would have been good. I notice a depression in the grass border in front of my house which used to contain a tree. All the streets around have trees 30 - 40 metres apart. The ones in my section are deciduous magnolias. Mine is missing! Further up the street are callistemon and round the corner are pohutukawa (Metrosideros excelsa). Don't fancy any of those. Would prefer a kuari, but I suspect it may grow too large? Moreton Bay fig? They have their own gravity, so need to think of an attractive small tree that wouldn't look out of place. I like sweet gum (Liquidambar spp.), which is planted in some of the borders at the Botany Shopping Centre, but maybe not? Any suggestions?

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #236 on: May 03, 2011, 12:25:45 PM »
Hi,

I cultivated a Pittosporum tenuifolium for 10 years on my allotment, carefully crafting it into a huge ball, ready to be placed outside my front door. Sadly, just at the time when it was at its best, it was stolen, together with a wheelbarrow and a lovely Corylus contorta, which I kept there to provide early food for bees. The thieves were obviously tipped off by one of my allotment colleagues (lovely bunch).  :( Whatever you may think of your trees, Anthony, I treasured mine.  :(
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

JohnnyD

• Maxi-minigardenist
  • free at last!
« Reply #237 on: May 03, 2011, 02:14:14 PM »
What a great spell of weather.  8)
Just great for shifting all those pots off the patio and cleaning the paving. ;D
Just the job too for the heron which, free of all those pots, was able to walk to the pond, remove fish and stab seven holes in the butyl. >:(
Spent yesterday emptying the pond, removing the sludge, finding the holes, sealing the holes then straining the sludge to catch the taddies and damselfly nymphs!
AAAAAGHHHHH!!!!!!!
JohnnyD

p.s.
Repair was successfully effected using butyl jointing tape at £1.99 per metre rather than the extortionate cost of a 'butyl repair kit'.  ;D

John Dower, Frodsham, Cheshire.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #238 on: May 03, 2011, 09:54:12 PM »
Hope you weren't shopping at Albany yesterday Anthony. ???
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

angie

« Reply #239 on: May 04, 2011, 12:27:55 AM »
Hi John, yesterday I came out of my house with a coffee thinking I will sit at my pond a watch my fish in this lovely sunny day. I walked over and couldn't believe my eyes, I had a heron standing in my pond with a big fat goldfish in his beak. I threw my coffee cup at him thinking he would drop my goldfish but no he just kept trying to swallow it. I then threw my kneeling mat at him and finally he flew off. I am sure someone said these birds are protected. I wonder why. My poor goldfish was dead but at least he never got it and my cup was ok, these SRGC cups are indestructible  ;D
Glad to hear that you managed to repair your liner, must have been a lot of work. I have fishing wire over my pond doesn't look that good but I get to many herons coming to visit. Wish they would find somewhere else to go.

Angie T.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal