We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Moan, Moan, Moan - 2011  (Read 75753 times)

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
Re: Moan, Moan, Moan - 2011
« Reply #285 on: May 13, 2011, 07:12:14 AM »
Just think wire brush and Dettol® Cliff, and hope it's your turn first.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #286 on: May 13, 2011, 07:23:50 AM »
Just think wire brush and Dettol® Cliff, and hope it's your turn first.

:o :o :o :o :o   That should cure my cataract, Anthony!!!   ;D

Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #287 on: May 14, 2011, 11:33:28 PM »
Don't you get a build up of creosote in the chimney flue?

There's been no evidence of it.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #288 on: May 14, 2011, 11:39:31 PM »
Well, the cure is eucalyptus oil, so perhaps your two types of wood cancel each other out?

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #289 on: May 28, 2011, 12:03:55 PM »
Thought I'd watch the tennis tonight. For the second time I'm stuck watching Nadal instead of Andy Murray, which would be more appropriate for a New Zealand audience! The first time was two nights ago when they switched from AM to RN at 2 all in the third! It's not as if the match is remotely competitive or even entertaining. Nadal invariably has a face on him that could curdle paint. >:(

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #290 on: May 28, 2011, 12:30:20 PM »
Just popped though here to collect laptop...Ian is watching Murray play Berrer, who has just managed to win a game after umpteen advantages.... sorry Anthony!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #291 on: May 28, 2011, 12:48:59 PM »
I see from the live feed on BBC Sport he's gone over on his ankle. Not good, meanwhile I'm subject to the man with a face like a torn scone on Sky Sport. :(

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #292 on: May 28, 2011, 12:57:31 PM »
Ah ha. It's on Radio Roland Garros.

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #293 on: June 04, 2011, 07:28:07 PM »
Major renovations in the garden! After putting it off as long as I could I have looked more closely at the damage wreaked by this winter on the 'Southern Hemisphere' part of the garden. A lot of plants have been killed which have been happy for many years - Thus Acacia pravissima, Myrtus luma, Pseudopanax ferox (I'm really sad about this, it was some 8 or 9ft high; another species, crassifolius is sprouting new buds all the way up the stem) and Grevillea 'Canberra Gem' (this has been in the garden for probably 20 years and was huge - its going to be uncomfortable to remove). Several Pittosporums have been badly damaged but are sprouting well low down. Pseudowintera colorata I don't think will but I have a soft spot for this very curious plant and saw a lovely form in Hester Forde's garden outside Cork, a much more sensible place to grow it. Crinodendron hookerianum lost all of its leaves but is growing out again well, even right at the tips of the branches. A friend with a plant higher up on the North Downs had no damage and her plant is flowering well. Its relative, the white C. patagua looks OK. Other plants haven't been damaged at all - Azara microphylla, which fills the garden with vanilla scent in late winter, is in rude health and my treasured rather gangly plant of Telopea truncata, the Tasmanian Waratah, has some strong vegetative buds (I think it may need some TLC to encourage it to flower but it grows well at Wakehurst Place, planted originally by Tony Schilling I think).

The piles of weeds and shreddings are growing alarmingly but hopefully at the end there will be lots of new places to replant. The winter was harsh (before Christmas) but didn't seem that much colder than at times we have had before - probably it was the fact that it stayed cold continuously and never warmed up during the day. Hopefully such conditions won't come again for a while!
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #294 on: June 05, 2011, 12:03:42 AM »
Would you like some seed of Acacia pravissima Tim? Germinates well and grows quickly.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #295 on: June 05, 2011, 08:52:23 AM »
Thanks Lesley, yes I would. Up to now I thought this was pretty much the hardiest species here. I do have another, pataczekii, which is very different (not sure of its origins) and has come through the winter OK. My address is Copton Ash, 105 Ashford Road, Faversham, Kent, ME13 8XW. I normally collect quite a bit of seed through the autumn from the garden so hopefully may have something you would like. Thanks again.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #296 on: June 09, 2011, 11:44:29 PM »
I watched An Audience with Michael Buble tonight. I recorded it on Monday which was a repeat.

I could hear that he was using Autotune!!!! I googled it and found many comments saying they heard it also.

While mentioning Google have you seen it today? Their logo today is a guitar with strings that work
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #297 on: June 10, 2011, 10:11:19 AM »
I watched An Audience with Michael Buble tonight. I recorded it on Monday which was a repeat.

Were you so stuck for something to do? ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #298 on: June 10, 2011, 11:19:35 AM »
I think you've just burst Mark's buble? ;D

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #299 on: June 12, 2011, 11:01:31 AM »
it has Anthony.

Yesterday 32 people from a gardening group came to see the garden. All week I worked hard to tidy everything especially the back yard so they could see the troughs. I greeted them, told them how it evolved, the all year interest, the plants they can see. I left them to it only to be amazed that they all played follow the leader in to the back garden. A few asked questions "dont you worry about the size the hostas will grow to?" they're all miniatures. I caught one person nibbling allium leaves so had to tell everyone not to eat anything. My man whispered "Can I have an orchid you have lots". No one looked at the crevice bed, no one looked at the rockery

By 30 minutes they were gone. Some walked in and almost straight out again.

"Here's a gift for your trouble". £20!! I'll not be so stupid next time.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal