We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Moan, Moan, Moan - 2011  (Read 74642 times)

art600

• Travels light, travels far
Re: Moan, Moan, Moan - 2011
« Reply #435 on: July 14, 2011, 10:01:54 AM »
a tree in your area must be big enough for a nest

The protected wood has been there for centuries - another idea perhaps  ???
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #436 on: July 14, 2011, 05:12:45 PM »
We've had a steady increase in magpies and this year they have taken over completely. Not a songbird in sight or earshot, no more dawn chorus at 4 a.m. Just the magpies' wretched rattling, but to their credit they don't start until 5:30.

They haven't got rid of the pigeons though, and I wonder whether it isn't a joint effort between them and the red kites, which have completely taken over the skies here in the Chiltern. Yes, I still say aaah when I see them, but they don't just eat carrion.
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #437 on: July 14, 2011, 07:39:44 PM »
I wouldn't imagine small birds would form a significant part of a red kite's diet. The crows robbed the wood pigeon's nest in the oversized hedge behind our house in Dunblane most years. We used to have a small flock of magpies that flew around the estate in the off season, behaving like a flock of black and white parrots.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #438 on: July 14, 2011, 10:16:25 PM »
How strange. :P

Anthony surely you didn't expect New Zealand to be exactly the same as Scotland, only warmer? :D BYW, would you please email me Rafa's list. Thanks.

I'm sad to think of the wood pigeions as only pot material, according to Arthur. One of the things I most fondly remember about the UK was that soft crooning sound they made. I never saw one, but the memory of their song(?) lingers on.

Our native wood pigeon, kereru or Hemiphaga novaeseelandiae (irridescent blue/green/grey/crimson, with a snow-white sleeveless singlet) is highly protected but the Maori are doing their best to have it released from protection so they can hunt and eat it. They say it was part of their natural food resource and they should be allowed to continue with it. So far, the powers that be are resisting, thank goodness. Fortunately, it is relatively common around this area and it is wonderful to watch them land high in a lombardy poplar and bungy jump, almost to ground level, going up and down several times until the momentum of their initial heavy landing has run down. Then they fly off and back, and start over again. They are birds which love a good time. 8) They do decimate the buds and flowers of the kowhai tree though, Sophora tetraptera and love both the flowers and the purple fruits of fuchsias.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 10:20:08 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #439 on: July 15, 2011, 05:40:41 AM »
Nothing surprises me Lesley. Boiled sausages, for me, have only ever been frankfurters for hot-dogs. Mind you, there are some Scottish foods that I still find curious, such as fried clootie dumpling served with black pudding, lorne sausage, baked beans, mushrooms, gegs and fried bread as part of a Scottish breakfast! :o I would have dumpling on its own cold, or heated up with custard! I'm quite fond of the Scottish national dish: chicken tikka massala. The NZ nation dish (butter chicken) is quite tasteless, but then perhaps my sample base is too small? We have quite the best fish and chip shop I have been too at The Hub, Botany. It's in the middle of a big fresh fish shop (Oceanz Seafood http://www.oceanz.co.nz/), so the fish is fresh.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #440 on: July 15, 2011, 08:41:38 AM »
Anthony I am always disappointed if there is no fried Cloutie Dumpling at breakfast in Scotland :(
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #441 on: July 15, 2011, 08:45:25 AM »
We have quite the best fish and chip shop I have been too at The Hub, Botany. It's in the middle of a big fresh fish shop (Oceanz Seafood http://www.oceanz.co.nz/), so the fish is fresh.

Have you tried Bluff oysters yet Anthony --wild oysters dredged off the bottom of the waters of Foveaux Strait ,(at my back door ) :P :P :P.
Simply the best tasting oysters in the world .......Enjoy !

Cheers Dave
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #442 on: July 15, 2011, 09:06:50 AM »
I'm afraid oyster is one of my bogie foods. Must revisit it. 8)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #443 on: July 15, 2011, 09:34:43 AM »
I'm afraid oyster is one of my bogie foods.
I think that says it all!
 :P
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #444 on: July 15, 2011, 10:17:30 AM »
Is that an oyster on your plate? No it'snot!

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #445 on: July 15, 2011, 10:28:23 AM »
Seeing as there is not a bemused thread, I'll post here. Took my children to see Harry Potter. Apparently the M rating (suitable for mature audiences 16 and over) are just guidelines. I was by far the oldest in the sparsely populated cinema, and James, aged 14, was probably older than most of the rest. There was even a baby in a carry cot. I toyed with the idea of asking a responsible adult in the foyer about the ageing policy, but looking at the laddie who tears your ticket and the youngsters behind the counter I couldn't see one. I suppose the M rating clears the censor of any responsibility - they've labelled the film, you decide if it's suitable for your family. I must admit the baby only made a noise a couple of times, and sufficiently sotto voce only to add to the atmosphere during the quiet scenes. I reckon it could sleep through a thunder storm! ;D
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 10:30:35 AM by Anthony Darby »

Martinr

« Reply #446 on: July 15, 2011, 12:19:49 PM »
How strange. :P

One of the things I most fondly remember about the UK was that soft crooning sound they made. I never saw one, but the memory of their song(?) lingers on.

You wouldn't say that if they performed as a massed choir performance outside your bedroom window at 6.30 in the morning, followed by a tap dance routine on the roof which makes Riverdance seem amateurish. Oh yes, then the noisy flapping that passes for foreplay! And finally, feeling a bit peckish after all that exercise, they go off and nip the tops of the newly sprouted peas. Grrrr >:( >:( >:(

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #447 on: July 15, 2011, 03:34:18 PM »
Hmmm yes, that's what it's like, only mine start at 5am. They bellow across the valley to their mates / rivals.

Soft cooing, nope. Perhaps wood pigeons do that. Ours are the plain house pigeons, they boom. >:( >:( >:(
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #448 on: July 16, 2011, 12:03:56 PM »
We have quite the best fish and chip shop I have been too at The Hub, Botany. It's in the middle of a big fresh fish shop (Oceanz Seafood http://www.oceanz.co.nz/), so the fish is fresh.

Have you tried Bluff oysters yet Anthony --wild oysters dredged off the bottom of the waters of Foveaux Strait ,(at my back door ) :P :P :P.
Simply the best tasting oysters in the world .......Enjoy !

Cheers Dave

Dave, I am surprised you did not suggest to Anthony that he try some real Southern Man tucker. mutton bird accompanied by brussel sprouts ;D
David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #449 on: July 16, 2011, 03:25:54 PM »
yesterday I was at the Giants Causeway and saw an American man doing something so stupid. He climbed to the top of the rocks carrying a baby kangaroo style - no he didnt have a pouch but one of those carrying things where the baby looks forward.

It was raining and the rocks were slippery ....

I took photos but my family said not to show photos of what he did
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal