We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Moan, Moan, Moan - 2011  (Read 74518 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Moan, Moan, Moan - 2011
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2011, 03:36:57 PM »
Mmmmm.... how exactly does the council propose to test/train Mrs W ? They would be hard pressed to find someone with greater qualifications in  such matters, I would think?  I hope Mrs W is not going to agree to any training until she is satisfied as to the relevant certification of the council bod !
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2011, 03:41:43 PM »
I think she will see if she can get any useful tips on the basis never to old to learn. She found the training on how to use the electric kettle to boil water for tea electrifying.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

maggiepie

« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2011, 04:39:45 PM »

They have just had a Health and Safety inspection by a jobsworth from the Council. She is now not allowed to use the vacuum cleaner until she has had training and the appropriate training log is completed.

This only applies at the shop because I have given her the okay to continue at home but have told her I will be looking for higher standards when she has had her training.

I have to laugh, otherwise I will cry.
Can't believe how much the world has changed in such a short period of time.
Where did common sense go?

Helen Poirier , Australia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2011, 05:18:04 PM »

You may well ask, Helen.  Such things are just daft.

I know there are good reasons for some of the regulations about nowadays, but so often they go so far as to be counter productive.
 To take as an instance the suggestion made in the "name change" thread about getting involved with schools to promote gardening  to small children....... that is well nigh impossible in Scotland now, because everyone going into the classroom or involved in any workshops, would need to have been fully certified by the police etc , with criminal record checks and so on, to make sure that there were no paedophiles involved with an activity for school children. Now, I don't suppose that many of our members would object to being investigated for that reason, but the fact is there is not the money for that accreditation in the schools outwith the essential school staff,  and certainly not in the SRGC or for individuals to carry the cost. So, no chance to provide any such projects in practical terms.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2011, 06:16:55 PM »
This is not a moan because I have just given up  and settled down to enjoying my plants so just factual.

My wife who has been my domestic goddess for almost 42 years and during that time kept the home and me clean and neatly presented works three days a week in a charity shop.

They have just had a Health and Safety inspection by a jobsworth from the Council. She is now not allowed to use the vacuum cleaner until she has had training and the appropriate training log is completed.

This only applies at the shop because I have given her the okay to continue at home but have told her I will be looking for higher standards when she has had her training.

No wonder the Nation is in a bad way. Far too many jobsworths doing non-jobs. I admire your stance about appropriate standards for the home Tony ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

maggiepie

« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2011, 06:29:07 PM »

You may well ask, Helen.  Such things are just daft.

I know there are good reasons for some of the regulations about nowadays, but so often they go so far as to be counter productive.
 To take as an instance the suggestion made in the "name change" thread about getting involved with schools to promote gardening  to small children....... that is well nigh impossible in Scotland now, because everyone going into the classroom or involved in any workshops, would need to have been fully certified by the police etc , with criminal record checks and so on, to make sure that there were no paedophiles involved with an activity for school children. Now, I don't suppose that many of our members would object to being investigated for that reason, but the fact is there is not the money for that accreditation in the schools outwith the essential school staff,  and certainly not in the SRGC or for individuals to carry the cost. So, no chance to provide any such projects in practical terms.

Good grief, Maggi......... I suppose that should have occurred to me.
Similar things are going on here and Australia especially where children are concerned.
I would hate to be a young parent these days, having to be careful of taking pics of kids, playing with them, hugging etc.
Always someone who can see evil where it isn't.....

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2011, 06:52:10 PM »
no foot fetish here, David, though I would like to have a size or two smaller. I take UK10 and if I could I would go down a size or two. A friend who is over 6 feet takes a size 7.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2011, 07:04:22 PM »
no foot fetish here, David, though I would like to have a size or two smaller. I take UK10 and if I could I would go down a size or two. A friend who is over 6 feet takes a size 7.

Does he have problems balancing? ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2011, 07:15:28 PM »
no - he's good at football
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2011, 11:38:03 AM »
Today 2nd February received the seed list from the Androsace group that was posted on the 15th of November and the closing date for seed requests was the 26th of November.  How nice. :(

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2011, 11:47:53 AM »
 :o :o

And I thought our postal system was bad at times.  ???
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2011, 11:59:31 AM »
Today 2nd February received the seed list from the Androsace group that was posted on the 15th of November and the closing date for seed requests was the 26th of November.  How nice. :(

Good grief, the backlog from the bad weather and the holiday season is even worse then we thought!

I  know that Alan Hayes, who receives the SRGC seed requests, in the last week or so was getting mail delivered that was dated late November  and early December.
At the time of all the snow and kerfuffle I remember speaking to our local Postie about it and he said  that locally they couldn't understand what all the fuss was about!  :-X

angie

« Reply #72 on: February 02, 2011, 08:29:15 PM »
Got my oil delivered this morning and the man said you must have been low as it took 1600 litres to fill up. My tank holds 1500litres, must have been more than low. When I moved here our first fill cost £280 this fill will cost me a nearly £900...Think how much lovely plants I could buy with this. now that's worth moaning about.
When my husband came back I told him we had our oil delivered and he said were you dressed like that when the oil man came, my reply was yes. What he was meaning was I had my jumper inside out, I had yellow kneeling pads on, pink gloves and red boots. Well I was in a hurry to get outside before the rain came.

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

maggiepie

« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2011, 08:44:14 PM »
Angie, what did you say when the guy told you he put 1600litres in the tank?
Could the tank have a leak?

Plain old rip off??

My husband just said you dress like me haha!!

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #74 on: February 02, 2011, 08:53:24 PM »
... I had my jumper inside out, I had yellow kneeling pads on, pink gloves and red boots....

Sounds perfectly fine to me Angie ;D
Should a Garden couture thread ever appear then I'd have to keep a (very) low profile :-X
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal